Grambling audit

SUjagTILLiDIE

BATON ROUGE, La. — The Legislative Auditor's Office in Baton Rouge lists several continuing problems with financial practices at Grambling State University, including missing property, understatement of assets and ineffective efforts to collect more than $8 million owed by students and others.

A report released Monday covers the fiscal year that ended last June. It says that, for the fourth year in a row the university's failure to compile an accurate fiscal report resulted in assets being understated by more than $3 million, liabilities being overstated by $1.4 million, operating revenue being overstate by $3.8 million and a $2.1 million understatement of operating expenses.

In addition to creating time consuming work for auditors who had to identify and correct errors, "failure to timely analyze accounts and identify errors subjects university assets to potential fraud and-or abuse," the audit report said.

A lack of asset controls led to missing property for the sixth year in a row, the audit said.

There were more than $1.6 million in items that could not be located, including more than $1 million in computers and computer-related equipment and $255,324 in audio-visual equipment. "Items totaling $122,534 were removed from the property records because these items had not been located for three consecutive years," the report said.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/f8661bfedce747cdaeab2bc2ca780ae1/LA--Grambling-Audit

Remove the incompetent people, that is all. All that doing favors for friends needs needs to get many fired of this.

Fire them, get more competent people in the finance/accounting departments. That is to much money lost that Grambling should have in the bank. Dr. Pogue needs to hurry and handle this after the SWAC Presidents meeting. Restructuring is needed.

My brother works in the Legislative Auditor's Office. He said majority of these problems are from Grambling's past administration not the current. He informed me that Grambling replaced many of the old employees in the accounting, finance and financial aid departments so things should get much better for them.

My brother works in the Legislative Auditor's Office. He said majority of these problems are from Grambling's past administration not the current. He informed me that Grambling replaced many of the old employees in the accounting, finance and financial aid departments so things should get much better for them.

Your brother is correct

Dr. Pogue cleared things up with this statement

June 9, 2011
Statement from President Pogue Regarding GSU’s Financial Audit

STATEMENT REGARDING GSU’S FINANCIAL STATEMENT AUDIT FOR THE YEAR ENDED JUNE 30, 2010

Upon my arrival at Grambling State University in November 2009, I began assessing the institution and establishing priorities. After meeting with a number of representatives from the various constituent groups and hosting a retreat, ten priorities were established. One of the top priorities was to improve the financial and operational management of the university. Towards this end, Dr. Marie McDemmond of McDemmond and Associates was invited to conduct a review of the operations of the Division of Finance. Based on her recommendations and my observations, a number of measures have been implemented to improve the financial and operational management of the University.

On June 1, 2011, the Louisiana Legislative Auditor released the 2009-2010 audit for Grambling State University. This audit covers the months from July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010, a period that began 5 months prior to my arrival at the university. Essentially, many of the findings were observations that Dr. McDemmond and I recognized as potential risks to the institution. With this understanding, the administration immediately focused on how to eradicate the potential threats to the financial stability of the university.

http://www.gram.edu/life/news/?p=164

:smh: It seems to be from the past administration because the current president would have picked up on this before coming!

:smh: It seems to be from the past administration because the current president would have picked up on this before coming!

Dr. Pogue said:

On June 1, 2011, the Louisiana Legislative Auditor released the 2009-2010 audit for Grambling State University. This audit covers the months from July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010, a period that began 5 months prior to my arrival at the university.

So yes that mess is from the previous administration.

Dr. Pogue is getting things situated and he has a long record of getting things back on track. Dr. Pogue will release findings next month to show the improvement and detail what needs to be done even more.

Do you think most problems exist at HBCUs because they always make sure they make payroll and have to move money around to fund other requirements. I truly believe that by not being fully funded each month, our schools have to rob peter to pay paul. This is an ongoing situations at our schools. When the auditors arrive they look at accounts rather looking at the operations of the overall schools. It appears the auditors always apply standards to State schools who never receive their money on time and always cut our schools more than PWCs with larger budgets.

Do you think most problems exist at HBCUs because they always make sure they make payroll and have to move money around to fund other requirements. I truly believe that by not being fully funded each month, our schools have to rob peter to pay paul. This is an ongoing situations at our schools. When the auditors arrive they look at accounts rather looking at the operations of the overall schools. It appears the auditors always apply standards to State schools who never receive their money on time and always cut our schools more than PWCs with larger budgets.

No. The problems listed are primarily the result of poor accounting practices and a "hook up" mentality within which people don't see anything wrong with taking what is not theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:tup: Folks act like stealing from our schools are kool.
No. The problems listed are primarily the result of poor accounting practices and a "hook up" mentality within which people don't see anything wrong with taking what is not theirs.

You sound as if you actually have worked or presently working for a HBCU….

Let me add this, PWC also usually have larger budgets that is mostly made up of private funds that don’t fall within strict state and federal guidelines.

+1. I've seen all this before. aTm stepped in and started chopping heads and I'm <b>elated</b> they did. :read: :clap: :bowdown:

Hopefully it gets better during next year's audit Gram w/ the vices I'm sure were already put in place. :tup:

I just believe the folks that work in finance at HBCUs (not the one who are proven theives) do a poor job of defending themselves. Having years of experience, I never allowed my folks to write reports with major findings without coming up with recommendations and who is responsible for fixing the issues they find. Now some of my folks would get upset because they enjoyed seeing people suffer. I have experienced auditors coming in telling me about what I was doing wrong, but when you stand up to them and know what you are doing they back down. (Most auditors are working to be the Chief and promotions just like the folks are being Audited) I don't think any auditor should come in and do an audit and send their finding back. If they find something that appears to be wrong on sight; the agency being audited should have a chance to response before they leave. It is very difficult for auditors to write good reports on location, but if they go back and send you a report they have time to apply Havard Management principles to the report. The auditors should be able to not only find things but have solutions to fixing the issues. Some people are so afraid of their jobs they will not say anything, but they must learned speak up and defend what you are doing right or wrong.

I just believe the folks that work in finance at HBCUs (not the one who are proven theives) do a poor job of defending themselves. Having years of experience, I never allowed my folks to write reports with major findings without coming up with recommendations and who is responsible for fixing the issues they find. Now some of my folks would get upset because they enjoyed seeing people suffer. I have experienced auditors coming in telling me about what I was doing wrong, but when you stand up to them and know what you are doing they back down. (Most auditors are working to be the Chief and promotions just like the folks are being Audited) I don't think any auditor should come in and do an audit and send their finding back. If they find something that appears to be wrong on sight; the agency being audited should have a chance to response before they leave. It is very difficult for auditors to write good reports on location, but if they go back and send you a report they have time to apply Havard Management principles to the report. The auditors should be able to not only find things but have solutions to fixing the issues. Some people are so afraid of their jobs they will not say anything, but they must learned speak up and defend what you are doing right or wrong.

Good post!

Back