Grambling assistant coach Carl Roberts recalls years at J-State

Dr. Tripp

http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041023/SPORTS030101/410230318

October 23, 2004
Grambling aide Roberts recalls years at J-State

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Carl Roberts bled Jackson State blue and white for nearly his entire adult life.

First as an all-conference offensive lineman. Then as a part-time assistant. Then for 16 years as offensive line coach.

He still loves his alma mater, but that love comes with an asterisk. He can't help but be bitter after what he views as an unjustified firing of former coach Robert Hughes following the 2002 season.

When Hughes was let go after three straight 7-4 seasons, in came James Bell, who elected not to retain the personable Roberts, a player and fan favorite.

Just like that, Roberts' affiliation with Jackson State and Tiger athletics was gone. He was out of coaching last season before landing a job as offensive line coach at Grambling State, which hosts Jackson State tonight at Eddie Robinson Stadium.

"That was tough," Roberts said. "I understand this is a business, and if you're in it long enough those things happen. All I know is we won ballgames, we won championships and we graduated our players. That's a fact."

A small part of Roberts takes satisfaction in the fact that the man hired to replace Hughes hasn't been successful to date. JSU administration aside, a larger part feels for the players, the program, the school, and the fans and alumni.

"It's unfortunate," Roberts said. "We've had some great leaders in the past. . . Coach (W.C.) Gorden, Coach (James) Carson. When I came there in 1979, the tradition was so rich. It was a proud program, then.

"I have so many fond memories of my time there. Jackson State has been real good to me. But there comes a time when you have to move on. The reality is I'm at Grambling now. I just wish that decision had been mine."

It remains to be seen if Roberts shakes Bell's hand. When asked if Bell should be remain on as JSU's coach following this season, Roberts replied: "That's not my call. But I will say this. The same criteria, the same rational that was used to determine if we should stay or go, should be applied with him."

I like Roberts statements. I'm sure he want's GSU to beat the hell out of JSU to make a statement. But at the same time, he's letting everyone know that he still loves his beloved University. And that's the way it should be. :lecture:

JSU said:
http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041023/SPORTS030101/410230318

October 23, 2004
Grambling aide Roberts recalls years at J-State

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Carl Roberts bled Jackson State blue and white for nearly his entire adult life.

First as an all-conference offensive lineman. Then as a part-time assistant. Then for 16 years as offensive line coach.

He still loves his alma mater, but that love comes with an asterisk. He can't help but be bitter after what he views as an unjustified firing of former coach Robert Hughes following the 2002 season.

When Hughes was let go after three straight 7-4 seasons, in came James Bell, who elected not to retain the personable Roberts, a player and fan favorite.

Just like that, Roberts' affiliation with Jackson State and Tiger athletics was gone. He was out of coaching last season before landing a job as offensive line coach at Grambling State, which hosts Jackson State tonight at Eddie Robinson Stadium.

"That was tough," Roberts said. "I understand this is a business, and if you're in it long enough those things happen. All I know is we won ballgames, we won championships and we graduated our players. That's a fact."

A small part of Roberts takes satisfaction in the fact that the man hired to replace Hughes hasn't been successful to date. JSU administration aside, a larger part feels for the players, the program, the school, and the fans and alumni.

"It's unfortunate," Roberts said. "We've had some great leaders in the past. . . Coach (W.C.) Gorden, Coach (James) Carson. When I came there in 1979, the tradition was so rich. It was a proud program, then.

"I have so many fond memories of my time there. Jackson State has been real good to me. But there comes a time when you have to move on. The reality is I'm at Grambling now. I just wish that decision had been mine."

It remains to be seen if Roberts shakes Bell's hand. When asked if Bell should be remain on as JSU's coach following this season, Roberts replied: "That's not my call. But I will say this. The same criteria, the same rational that was used to determine if we should stay or go, should be applied with him."
Never a truer statement.

When I saw those fat, immobile GSU linemen in the PV game, I knew Roberts was making an impact. And he's lying about us graduating players at a high rate. That hasn't been the case since Gordon left.

Back