Gooden's son charged with selling crack cocaine

GramFan

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6692620

Gooden's son charged with selling crack cocaine
Oct. 3, 2003
SportsLine.com wire reports

TAMPA, Fla. -- Dwight Gooden's teenage son was arrested and charged with selling crack cocaine to undercover deputies.

Dwight Eugene Gooden Jr., son of the former star pitcher, was arrested Wednesday after selling $200 worth of the drug, Hillsborough County Sheriff's Lt. Rod Reder said.

Gooden, 17, of Tampa, was taken to the juvenile detention center, Reder said. Police refused further comment because Gooden is a juvenile.

The senior Gooden did not return a phone message left Friday with the New York Yankees, who employ him as a minor league pitching coach. It could not be determined if the son has a lawyer.

The younger Gooden was charged with possession and delivery of crack cocaine after being arrested in a sting operation Sept. 25, Reder said.

Deputies bought 2.4 grams of crack cocaine from Gooden and 19-year-old Kendon Rashid Davis, Reder said. Davis was charged with three counts of possession of cocaine and one count of possession with intent to deliver. Records show Davis was released from jail Thursday after posting $19,000 bail.

The elder Gooden was suspended for 60 days in 1994 for testing positive for cocaine while with the New York Mets. He tested positive for cocaine again while on suspension and was sidelined for the 1995 season.

Gooden, the 1985 NL Cy Young Award winner, went 194-112 with a 3.51 ERA before retiring in 2001.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Just makes you wonder what his younger days were like when his daddy was making big bucks playing in the major leagues. This would almost make sense to me if he were using drugs like daddy did especially since we see children so often doing "what daddy did." But this lil' cat wasn't a drug user. He was dealing. Did daddy mess up that bad that he didn't provide this child with an opportunity to be successful in life and stay out of isht like this?

Originally posted by GramFan
Did daddy mess up that bad that he didn't provide this child with an opportunity to be successful in life and stay out of isht like this?

Doubt it. Dad probably provided him with everything he wanted. Spoiled him rotten and the kid just figured he'll get out there and do whatever he wants to do. Happens all the time in the "Big superstars" lives.

Hollywood send help!

I wonder who his main "buyer" was?

Im waiting on Darryl Strawberry's son to be next.

S _ D :(

A great lesson about self destruction

Can somone please tell me why so many youth cannot build on the success of their parents? Here are people that make it out and yet they continue to want to be "ghetto."

In New Jersey, there's a town outside of Newark called South Orange Village that is a fairly upper income neighborhood that has lots of hard working upper middle class African Americans (median income $120,000 in most areas) and yet the children at the high school all want to wear the latest thug gear and behave in the most obsene ways. What is it about THE CULTURE OF POVERTY that afflicts our people even when they have a choice in the social construction of that culture???

LaMont

Glad you brought up Strawberry's son because I have a lingering thought/question on my mind . . .

Wasn't Strawberry's son a hot shot basketball player and if so, is he still in high school or has he signed with a major college basketball program?

Re: A great lesson about self destruction

Originally posted by LaMont
Can somone please tell me why so many youth cannot build on the success of their parents? Here are people that make it out and yet they continue to want to be "ghetto."

In New Jersey, there's a town outside of Newark called South Orange Village that is a fairly upper income neighborhood that has lots of hard working upper middle class African Americans (median income $120,000 in most areas) and yet the children at the high school all want to wear the latest thug gear and behave in the most obsene ways. What is it about THE CULTURE OF POVERTY that afflicts our people even when they have a choice in the social construction of that culture???

LaMont

Good question. I look at it like this. In the situation that you mentioned you have children living in two different environments, simultaneously. One is an environment where they are taught the difference between right and wrong, are encouraged to do the right thing and are provided all the tools neccessary to lead a successful and prosperous life. The other environment is one where they are taught, as you mentioned, the culture of poverty.

What it comes down to is which one has the most influence over them. It's unfortunate that most teenagers are very impressionable and end up falling for the okie-doke. That's children of today. They live in a more complex world than we could have ever imagined as teenagers.

As a child that came up in a situation very similar to the one you mentioned, I was presented with every opportunity to succeed. It's not like the opportunity to fail didn't present itself but the scale pretty much tipped over to success. Nowadays, while the opportunity to succeed is even greater, so is the opportunity to fail and the scales aren't so tipped anymore. The opportunity to fail has grown by leaps and bounds and I blame it on this new culture of poverty, as you say. Our children and young adults have embraced it and that very same culture tells them that they don't have to strive for anything, settling for less is not a bad thing, to be yourself and if others don't like it then uckf em'.

Many of us play a part in the "culture of poverty" as well (self included). What's so good about calling each other such things as pimps? Yanno, Big Pimpin', Pimp Daddy and such. A Pimp is a futhamugga that lives off of the fat of the land. Ever knew a pimp that had a real job and had his income taxed? Probably not.

And playas? Hell, we were playas straight through our young adult lives and still, even at 35-45 years of age we are still calling each other that. Even married men are still calling each other playas and isht like that.

And guess who's right there to hear, absorb and accept all this pimp and playa talk as real life? Lil' brothers in the neighbordhood, our sons, our nephews and get this . . . unfortunately, the little sisters, our daughters and our nieces are also accepting it as real life. While some think these words are harmless, we should always remember that the greatest weapon in the world is the tongue.

Now, I didn't mean to get completely off subject and make this a "pimp and playa" thing but it was something that came to mind as to how some of us also play our part in the culture of poverty.

Our generation has not really provided for the present generation as we have thought. We counted on our degrees and travel experiences and clubs and social orgs and churches and upper echelon neighborhoods and private/Christian schools to take our children to a higher level than us. All of those things are good only if there is follow-up and personal involvement. Our kids will fail everytime as long as we keep looking at someone else's child and saying, "that's not my child, mine is doing alright. He/she better not act that way I saw so-and-so's child act". We think we are providing for our children by giving them the up-to-date stuff. That's because we parents feel like we're arriving if we pay $150 for Jordans, $200 for PlayStation/XBox, $$$ for Tommy, Burberry, FUBU, Timbs, LeBron jerseys, throwbacks and the like. How many of us have some investments for ourselves or investments for our children. Black folks are only consumers. How many times have each of us walked past a child/pre-teen or teenager doing wrong and just kept stepping and the whole while shaking our head ? In this day and age I know we don't say anything because lil Ray-Ray may be strapped.

The next time you praise any of that mess you see on BET videos, MTV, or VH1 think about the validation you are giving to your child to emulate what you praised. These kids don't understand that this entertainment world is 170 degrees away from what we experienced at their age. The next time you curse, drink or smoke in the presence of a child think about how they are going to emulate your behavior.

Dwight Gooden's son is not only Dwight's responsibility, he's ours also.

Daryl Strawberry, Jr., the son, wants to be called D.J. Strawberry. He is aware of the history of substance abuse in his family and does not want to repeat the mistakes. So far I have not heard about any trouble that he has had.

Originally posted by Springs
.....Dwight Gooden's son is not only Dwight's responsibility, he's ours also.

I agree. I guess when its all said and done, it does "take a village to raise a child."

Back