Good Recipies

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Does anyone have any good recipies for preparing:

• Asparagus
  • Anything using cilantro

Obviously coming from the small town south, not two of my staple food items although asparagus, like spinach, was one of those rare, "you better eat this, or else" meals during childhood. When it comes to erbs, cilantro was not part of the mix growing up. Celery, onions, pepper, bellpepper, garlic, wild onions,, etc but never cilantro.

Does anyone put cilantro in rice? (look, look,, i know how we traditionally cook rice in the South,, but just checking. went to a burrito bar and the rice had cilantro in it. that was some good stuff because cilantro has such a strong flavor.)

Have since had some great asparagus meals at restaraunts and of coarse cilantro is common in mexican (and India-Indian, Jamacan) food that I have had and would like some good home meals that are fairly easy to make,,, so i can make ajdustments to my liking!

Now, Bartram, you didn't really think you were going to get an answer to that question on dis here board did you?? :lol: Hell, I'll bet you 90% of these folks never, er, well, never mind. I better not go there. :lol:

Asparagus Casserole

Here's one I got from a friend a few years back.

2 c Asparagus, fresh, 2" lengths
1 cn Cream of mushroom soup
4 oz Mushrooms, sliced
2 c Cheddar cheese, grated
1 cn French fried onion ring, 3oz

Butter a casserole dish. Put a layer of asparagus on
bottom then add soup. Next add mushrooms and half the
cheese. Add second layer of asparagus and end with a
layer of cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or
until bubbly. Sprinkle onion rings on top and return
to oven for 5 minutes more.

Some Recipes SimplyRedd loves to cook!!

HOLLANDAISE WITH FRESH ASPARAGUS
from Emeril Live EM1A32E

ingredients
? 1 large bunch of asparagus

? 4 egg yolks

? 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

? 1 tablespoon water

? 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

? 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley

? 1/2 pound butter, melted and warm

preparation instructions
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Trim the asparagus. Place the asparagus in the water and blanch for about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove the asparagus from the water and season with salt and pepper. While the asparagus are blanching, prepare the sauce. In a stainless steel bowl set over a pot of simmering water over medium heat, whisk the egg yolks with the lemon juice, water, mustard, and parsley, together. Season with salt and cayenne. Whisk the mixture until pale yellow and slightly thick. Be careful not to let the bowl touch the water. Remove the bowl from the pot and whisking vigorously, add the butter, 1 teaspoon at a time, until all is incorporated. Place the asparagus on a platter and spoon the Hollandaise sauce over the top.

----------------------------------------------------------------

ASPARAGUS WITH LEMON HERB DRESSING
from Essence Of Emeril EE109

ingredients
? 1 pound asparagus, stems peeled, if needed

? Juice and zest of 1 lemon

? 1/2 cup olive oil

? 1 tablespoon each chopped chives, dill and parsley

? 1 teaspoon chopped mint

? Salt and pepper

preparation instructions
In a large pot of boiling salted water blanch asparagus spears until tender but not mushy. Drain and "shock" spears in ice-water to cool quickly. Drain and pat dry. In a small bowl whisk together remaining ingredients until emulsified; season to taste with salt and pepper. Right before serving drizzle asparagus with lemon dressing.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

----------------------------------------------------------------

SEARED SCALLOPS WITH ASPARAGUS RELISH
from Essence Of Emeril EE124

ingredients
? 1/2 pound asparagus, peeled, blanched and cooled, cut into 1-inch pieces, tips and stalks separated

? 2 tablespoons diced red pepper

? 1 tablespoon diced shallots

? 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, plus extra for garnish

? Juice of 1 lemon

? 1 tablespoon olive oil

? Salt and black pepper

? 1/4 cup chopped onion

? 1/2 cup chicken stock or asparagus blanching liquid

? 1 tablespoon heavy cream

? 2 tablespoons butter

? 4 large sea scallops

? 1 teaspoon Creole spice

? 1 tablespoon oil

preparation instructions
Make relish: In a small bowl combine asparagus tips, peppers, shallots, dill, lemon juice and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Make sauce: In a saucepan combine asparagus bottoms, onion and stock. Simmer 12 minutes. Add cream and butter, stirring until it returns to a simmer. Transfer to a blender or food processor and pur?e sauce. Strain and keep warm.

Season scallops with Creole spice. Heat oil in a small saut? pan and sear scallops 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Divide sauce between 2 plates, top with 2 scallops each and spoon relish between them. Garnish with chopped dill.

RECIPES WITH CILANTRO

Yield: 2 servings

-----------------------------------------------------------------

WHOLE ROASTED RIB-EYE ROLL
from Emeril Live EM1B05E

ingredients
? One 6 pound rib eye roast, (109) bone-in

? Salt and cracked black pepper

? 2 cups vegetable oil

? 2 each whole jalapenos, minced

? 1/4 cup chopped garlic

? 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

preparation instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Season the roast with salt and pepper. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the olive oil, jalapenos, onions, garlic, and cilantro. Mix well. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Place the roast, bone up, in a large roasting pan, pour the marinade over the roast, coating the entire roast completely. Refrigerate the roast overnight. Remove the roast from the refrigerator and pour off the marinade. Place the pan in the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Turn the oven down temperature to 325 degrees F. Roast for about 2 hours for medium-rare. Remove the roast from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Slice the roast into individual steaks and serve.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

For more go to EMERIL.Com

I have tried the first and last recipes and they turned out really well.

LOGGED. two other items: Dtown and SRedd

DTown,,, uuuuuh,, how did you get de avatar small enough to fit in there? (rhetorical question):D

SRedd: You watch Emeril Live? I just caught that show recently. Great, great cooking show. I can't figure where dude is from though; the east coast/NY or N.O. or none of the above? Interesting how dude got the live jazz band kickin' it going in and out of breaks. Good stuff.

Recipies logged! No cilantro yet doe huh? guess cilantro is like celery; you just use it where ever.

Yes I watch Emeril

He is from South Louisiana. Can't you tell. But, yes cilantro is an added flavor element. You can make it into a paste, mix it into salsa, any sauce, you simply use to add a different flavor, since it really has no texture, that can be distinguished.

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA
Now, Bartram, you didn't really think you were going to get an answer to that question on dis here board did you?? :lol: Hell, I'll bet you 90% of these folks never, er, well, never mind. I better not go there. :lol:

Just put some hot sauce on everything.

Back