Good Black Men Becomming Harder to Find

THAMES

I hear Black Women say this all the time. This article may shed some light on the topic. Brothers need to stay in school and get an education more now than ever.

http://www.eurweb.com/articles/morenews/02262003/morenews897602262003.cfm

NEWSWEEK: Black Women Are Rising Much Faster Than Black Men

(Feb. 26, 2003) NEW YORK /PRNewswire/ -- Black women are making historic strides on campuses and in the workplace. Once consigned to mostly menial work, black women (24 percent of them, compared to 17 percent of black men) have ascended to the professional-managerial class.
But, as Contributing Editor Ellis Cose writes, their professional progress has widened the gap between them and black men, and they're having to rethink old notions of race, class and romance.

Cose explores the causes and implications of the new black gender gap in the March 3 cover story, "From Schools to Jobs, Black Women are Rising Much Faster than Black Men. What it Means for Work, Family and Race Relations," (on newsstands now).

In a roundtable discussion, National Correspondent Allison Samuels talks to "The View" host Star Jones, ABC News correspondent Deborah Roberts, singer and actress Beyonce Knowles, money manager Mellody Hobson, bank CEO Deborah Wright, rapper Foxy Brown and Teri Woods, a single mother and former paralegal who has started her own publishing business, about their successes and the new rules of race, class and romance. Jones says that black women, as a group, are successful because they have been driven by generations before them. In Jones' case, her mother left her with her grandparents so she could go back to school. Roberts says they can't discount that society is embracing them more. "I think in the corporate culture, bosses are more comfortable with women -- much more than they would be with a black man."

Says money manager Mellody Hobson: "One of the things that's also in our favor is that we stand out. And when you go in prepared and qualified -- you stand out that much more." She adds an anecdote about life in the workplace: "It's hard, because I can go for days and never see another person of color in any senior position. People come into my office all the time where I'm the president of the firm, and they give me their coat and ask me for coffee because they don't know who I am. So I go hang up the coat, get the coffee and then sit at the head of the table."

On finding black men with similar educations and incomes:

* Knowles: It is a little scary, especially for the people younger than me. I look at my sister and then at my future kids' generation and wonder who's going to be there for them to marry. It's so difficult to find someone out there that is compatible when you're a successful black woman.

* Hobson: That's why you have to keep your options open and date whoever you like.

* Brown: I don't think it's that big a deal, because from back in the day, black women have been raising our kids without a man in the household. We're used to being alone.

On being loyal to black men and more black men marrying outside the race than black women do:

* Jones: You could become bitter. I won't tell you who, because I'm going to protect a black man [laughter], but there is a brother who is a popular actor who is marrying outside his race. He was on the show, and so was the woman. I received hundreds of letters about this. Most were African-American women, and the point they made was "Damn, we lost another brother."

* Wright: I do feel sad about it. Our experience as a race is a unique one and a special one, one that I would love to see continue.

* Roberts: I don't think we need to be saddened or bitter. I mean, we were just talking about possibly dating outside the race. I don't think we have the right to be angry at black men who may marry outside the race.

* Wright: But when you step back from it and you look at what's promoted in our society -- I don't think this is a coincidence that all these men are making that decision to marry outside.

* Brown: That's true -- it's the blond hair and the blues eyes that are promoted.

SMH @ Beyonce's 5 year-old azz commenting on the state of young Black men in the future. What's really sad is people buy into this negative propaganda, and then perpetuate the overall notion of Black men 'slacking'. Nobody ever talks about the Brothers who are taking care of business and being productive.

High level gossip.

Originally posted by HBCUs
Nobody ever talks about the Brothers who are taking care of business and being productive.

High level gossip. [/B]

But they are talking about getting with the neighborhood drug dealer, driving the wide-body Benzzzzzz!!

Then when they get dropped, it's "all black men".

I blame Orah for this!!:bump:

Originally posted by HBCUs
What's really sad is people buy into this negative propaganda, and then perpetuate the overall notion of Black men 'slacking'. Nobody ever talks about the Brothers who are taking care of business and being productive.

High level gossip.

Thank-you......:bowdown:

The Article in News Week is on point.

Big ups to Tuskegee University for getting MAD lead gloss in dat mug. I thought that was particularly outstanding. :D :nod: :nod2:

But to the articles,,, not much to say. I thought the part about young brothas in high school being "encouraged" to be sports stars and entertains,,, to no avail for the most part,, and end up in the hole,,,,, was telling. :smh: The article is it to a T now days. It's on the brothas to sack up and get things in order,,, but I don't think that will happen because the culture and the glamour of being the type of black man that's most popular and celebrated in today's society is just too strong to be squelched.

:(

HOWEVER,,,,,,,, for da brothas dat do manage to make it beyond all the traps,,,,, we have no excuses. :lecture: We need to represent,, and we do have a contingent that does. All is not lost for the black man. Mugz should not sleep on the black man. We do have mugz representing, stepping up, being accountable and all dat,,,,,, and at the same time we got mugz representing in sports, entertainment, et al that may not be as important in the long run. The proportions may be out of whack,, but there is a contingent representing properly. :angry: :upset:

Starting some ****......

Originally posted by THAMES
I hear Black Women say this all the time. This article may shed some light on the topic. Brothers need to stay in school and get an education more now than ever.

Says money manager Mellody Hobson: "One of the things that's also in our favor is that we stand out. And when you go in prepared and qualified -- you stand out that much more." She adds an anecdote about life in the workplace: "It's hard, because I can go for days and never see another person of color in any senior position. People come into my office all the time where I'm the president of the firm, and they give me their coat and ask me for coffee because they don't know who I am. So I go hang up the coat, get the coffee and then sit at the head of the table."
Nothing new on this one. I know it will be days before I see a black woman (let alone a black man), first of all because I work nights, secondly, because there are no others blacks that work in my department. This is usually the case.
On being loyal to black men and more black men marrying outside the race than black women do:

* Jones: You could become bitter. I won't tell you who, because I'm going to protect a black man [laughter], but there is a brother who is a popular actor who is marrying outside his race. He was on the show, and so was the woman. I received hundreds of letters about this. Most were African-American women, and the point they made was "Damn, we lost another brother."
I still fail to see where this is even actually relevant, not just in basic conversation but also in real life. First of all, (she may have been speaking about Taye Diggs) people who always have something negative to say about a brother marrying a white woman without actually considering the fact that he may actually have seen past her color, and just considered the fact that she may be a caring individual, why not mention that also? Did she seem like she was just flossing her fine black man when you met her? Was the situation being faked for everyone to see? If she was so concerned about protecting him (which in my opinion reflects the thoughts of the hundreds of letters she received about losing another brother) why didn't she ask him why he was marrying this white woman?

And lastly, a lot of us need to have our geneaology charted. Talk about being black?find out where you really came from, many of us are more mixed than we think.

Back