Genarlow Wilson to attend Morehouse College

southsuburbs

What I Live By...
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/01/10/genarlow_0110.html?imw=Y

Genarlow Wilson: 'Waiting' for Morehouse College

By CHANDLER BROWN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/10/08

With prison behind him, Genarlow Wilson says he is ready for college.

Wilson, the Douglasville teen who spent two years in prison for having consensual sex with a teenager, will attend Atlanta's Morehouse College beginning next week, courtesy of the Tom Joyner Foundation, an educational non-profit founded by the nationally syndicated radio personality.

"I've been wanting to go college for so long," Wilson, 21, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution after Thursday's announcement on Joyner's show. "It was very generous for [Joyner] to do that for me. I can't say enough to express my gratitude. I won't let him down."

This weekend, Wilson plans to move into an upperclassman dorm at the historically black men's college. He begins life as a part-time student — taking freshman reading, freshman math and an English course — Wednesday. He plans to become a full-time student in the summer or fall.

Joyner's 10-year-old foundation is paying for Wilson's tuition, books and on-campus housing. The amount of the scholarship was not made public.

"I am more than ready for it," said Wilson, 21. "The 16th can't come soon enough."

The one-time Douglasville High School football star also plans to play football at Morehouse.

That's good stuff! Hopefully he make the best of this opportunity, like the Marcus kid that played at Hampton.

I'm glad he's moving forward with his life. He could've easily been real bitter about the situation but he's taking the higher road. I hope he does well at Morehouse.

Thank you Jesus.

The first GREAT news we've posted on this site in about 7 days.

I wish and pray for the best for this young man. :D

When you do that, God will run you over with His blessings!

~off topic~
that comment just banged me over the head. i was ready to ram my horns into what i told you about, but have decided against it. thanx.

i am happy for him! but i don't want him to just go, i want him to FINISH!

I sincerely hope he makes the best of the opportunity presented to him. And, I also hope he follows NO young man's lead and if he has to go it alone, then grant him the fortitude to tread the path alone and do well. :tup:

His arrest is probably going to be a blessing in disguise. Man, what if he wants a political career or to be a lawyer?

How was this young mans grades in high school. I was listening to the Tom Joyner morning show this past week when they announced the scholarship. Lets just say he didnt sound like a "Morehouse Man" during the interview. Was he only given this scholarship because of the incident? Also when their are huge incidents of this magnitude, why does Oprah, Tom Joyner, and other celebrities look at only 4 schools. Its always Howard, Hampton, Morehouse, or Spelman. Maybe Wilson was better suited for Clark Atlanta, Fort Valley or Albany State. I think they are setting him up for failure and that he is going to have ALOT of pressure on him.

How was this young mans grades in high school. I was listening to the Tom Joyner morning show this past week when they announced the scholarship. Lets just say he didnt sound like a "Morehouse Man" during the interview. Was he only given this scholarship because of the incident? Also when their are huge incidents of this magnitude, why does Oprah, Tom Joyner, and other celebrities look at only 4 schools. Its always Howard, Hampton, Morehouse, or Spelman. Maybe Wilson was better suited for Clark Atlanta, Fort Valley or Albany State. I think they are setting him up for failure and that he is going to have ALOT of pressure on him.

One of my Frat Brothers teaches at Morehouse. Based on some of his stories and interactions, I think that today's Morehouse is pretty much parallel with other HBCUs in the state as far as student body and intellectual base is concerned. I'm definitely not trying to say that the students there are subpar, but today's students tend to be very different that the "Morehouse Men" of the past. There are still some brilliant students there (just as there are at any HBCU in America), but one would be hard-pressed to say that a 2007 Morehouse grad is leagues ahead of a CAU, Fort Valley, or Albany State grad.

As far as Genarlow Wilson is concerned, if my memory serves me correctly he was pretty much on the road to college prior to this incident. I don't know his GPA of course, but I don't think that he was a dummy. If his speech is lacking, that could probably be attributed to the fact that speech, grammar, and writing are not as stressed as they should be in many school systems.

From what I remember, Wilson was an honor student in high school.

I recall hearing the same thing....and uuuum, the Morehouse men that I know ain't all that smart. They do have attitude though but a lot of them are 40 years old still trying pay off loans. I will leave it at that....Let's not even talk about the Howard grads. But I do agree with DaHill. TP is very much against private schools (even HBCUs). Why? Because I see no benefit to paying that kind of money for an undergrad education. I say the same for state schools like the ones up here....why pay that? Grad school is a different story but MOST undergrad degrees are the same across the board. Private schools just cost more. My dumb azz almost went to Tougaloo.....:lmao:

Back