Future of the SWAC- will we bring everybody?

That money has nothing to do with their athletics. The tv contract definitely makes more of a difference than that. Howard probably has more of an endowment than every HBCU, means nothing athletically.
Exactly. I remember years back LSU had to borrow money from there athletic dept.TV money is definitely where it’s at.

College Sports is BIG business on the FBS level. SEC teams don't need endowments. Look at what the SEC took in

SEC

$66 million base payout for 2020 Bowl Season Football 9 all schools

CONFERENCE PAYOUTS

Basketball - Here's a look at how much each of college basketball's biggest conferences have been paid from 1997 to 2018:

— Southeastern: $266.4 million. or 29 million a year

TV Deal - 3 billion for 10 years. or 300 million a year

so 300 plus 29 pus 66 = 395 million /12 schools - Each school is bringing in 32.91 million just off of profit sharing of TV , FBS bowl games and March Madness

Have to stop comparing HBCUs to this

at least pay the SWAC a royalty like mineral rights when they drill on your land lol

SWAC grad kids have contributed to that success wholeheartedly

College Sports is BIG business on the FBS level. SEC teams don't need endowments. Look at what the SEC took in

SEC

$66 million base payout for 2020 Bowl Season Football 9 all schools

CONFERENCE PAYOUTS

Basketball - Here's a look at how much each of college basketball's biggest conferences have been paid from 1997 to 2018:

— Southeastern: $266.4 million. or 29 million a year

TV Deal - 3 billion for 10 years. or 300 million a year

so 300 plus 29 pus 66 = 395 million /12 schools - Each school is bringing in 32.91 million just off of profit sharing of TV , FBS bowl games and March Madness

Have to stop comparing HBCUs to this
Imagine if Dr. McClellan can get a tv deal for the SWAC even just a fraction of what the SEC got.

Sorry sight when they're the only school in their conference where athletics fundraising outpaces actual academics fundraising ...

I haven't glanced at Tiger Dropping yet but pretty sure "those folks" are having a field day bashing their new DC....smh & lol (that's what they do over there)

I haven't glanced at Tiger Dropping yet but pretty sure "those folks" are having a field day bashing their new DC....smh & lol (that's what they do over there)

I feel bad for dude when that defense gets lit up. He’s gonna get all the monkey posts and slick racist stuff. That money isn’t gonna insulate him from the foolishness

I feel bad for dude when that defense gets lit up. He’s gonna get all the monkey posts and slick racist stuff. That money isn’t gonna insulate him from the foolishness

True....I saw on YouTube earlier today Orgeron talking about the DL & LB coaches he is looking at. I'm thinking damn, you're not even going to let the man hire his team of coaches.....smh

True....I saw on YouTube earlier today Orgeron talking about the DL & LB coaches he is looking at. I'm thinking damn, you're not even going to let the man hire his team of coaches.....smh

smells like a set-up to me. How you gonna hire the man as DC but don’t let him bring his dudes in?

Additionally, appeasement! He knows he has to hire a Black in a high profile position to satisfy those Black athletes who make LSU football what it is.

Making him out of powerless figurehead shouldn't appease anyone black. Hopefully, that won't be the case (it's still early).

Making him out of powerless figurehead shouldn't appease anyone black. Hopefully, that won't be the case (it's still early).

You know damn well that Blacks who go to LSU dont care about any of that. Any PWi for that matter. Hell the fact that Sarkisian has a Black wife is enough to have those negroes in Austin singing "The Eyes of Texas" again. I called out one of my classmates who went to UT. Apparently it doesnt take much to appease these people.

You know damn well that Blacks who go to LSU dont care about any of that. Any PWi for that matter. Hell the fact that Sarkisian has a Black wife is enough to have those negroes in Austin singing "The Eyes of Texas" again. I called out one of my classmates who went to UT. Apparently it doesnt take much to appease these people.

Apparently, you're not up to snuff on the racial issues that LSU just flirted with relating to the football team. Orgeron better be careful on how he handles this situation in the current climate......He was fortunate to not lose the team last year. Be careful typecasting those kids that go to PWI(s).

As long as PWIs continue to have Black position coaches , they will be fine. Those are the coaches who interact with majority of the players daily. You do a lot in your position group and then your position coach has you added to the O , D or ST

Apparently, you're not up to snuff on the racial issues that LSU just flirted with relating to the football team. Orgeron better be careful on how he handles this situation in the current climate......He was fortunate to not lose the team last year. Be careful typecasting those kids that go to PWI(s).

How are the "racial issues" at LSU from last season any different from the overt and institutionalized racism at LSU historically? And yet, Black athletes have flocked there and will continue to do so.

@JROCK, I hear what you are saying, but I gotta admit, @Storm96 has made some excellent points.

I will say kids go to a school where they please. Facing racism on a college campus is just a microcosm of the greater society. I applaud them when they see injustices and stand up against it. If those same kids choose to change their mind and decide to come to an HBCU, they should not be faced with ignorance for either decision they made. Some HBCU affiliated folks have the asinine idea that blacks at PWI(s) should be our adversaries and vice versa (stereotypical divide and conquer). My comment was based on not providing their new DC with the hiring power his new position entails. It is my belief that a move like this would be transparent and not appease their players but inevitably stirs up more issues. If they wanted to hire another black position coach, that is what they should have done. The points that @Storm96 are making is moot to me though they may not be to someone else.

Last edited:
I will say kids go to a school where they please. Facing racism on a college campus is just a microcosm of the greater society. I applaud them when they see injustices and stand up against it. If those same kids choose to change their mind and decide to come to an HBCU, they should not be faced with ignorance for either decision they made. Some HBCU affiliated folks have the asinine idea that blacks at PWI(s) should be our adversaries and visa versa (stereotypical divide and conquer). My comment was based on not providing their new DC with the hiring power his new position entails. It is my belief that a move like this would be transparent and not appease their players but inevitably stirs up more issues. If they wanted to hire another black position coach, that is what they should have done. The points that @Storm96 are making is moot to me though they may not be to someone else.
Ok.

A long term plan is needed for consideration the future of the SWAC as well as athletics in HBCU's and maybe jumping to DI should be in the consideration. But didn't Alabama St and I believe FL A & M, try that several years ago. How did that work out.

A long term plan is needed for consideration the future of the SWAC as well as athletics in HBCU's and maybe jumping to DI should be in the consideration. But didn't Alabama St and I believe FL A & M, try that several years ago. How did that work out.
Their respective cardinal mistake is jumping as an individual without a conference home.

it seems like the plan is to eventually take a group up to FBS.

I will say kids go to a school where they please. Facing racism on a college campus is just a microcosm of the greater society. I applaud them when they see injustices and stand up against it. If those same kids choose to change their mind and decide to come to an HBCU, they should not be faced with ignorance for either decision they made. Some HBCU affiliated folks have the asinine idea that blacks at PWI(s) should be our adversaries and vice versa (stereotypical divide and conquer). My comment was based on not providing their new DC with the hiring power his new position entails. It is my belief that a move like this would be transparent and not appease their players but inevitably stirs up more issues. If they wanted to hire another black position coach, that is what they should have done. The points that @Storm96 are making is moot to me though they may not be to someone else.

I don't believe most college or even pro coordinators get to hire their own position coaches. I don't see Bill O'Brian bringing in any new position coaches at Alabama since he's been hired as the OC. Usually that is set up by the head coach but even in some instances they have to take the coaches the GM/AD tell them to keep.

Back