Front Page Templates

kbSU89

I am using FrontPage 2002 to design a website. It does not have the fancy templates I want to make my site look real fancy, electronic, etc. I found a website that I could down load some front page templates but the price was a little to high for me.

I know nothing is for free, but do any of you know of where I could find some templates that I could use with front page to get my site good looking.

I want an intro flash screen, and some graphic fading in and out, some scrolling text, etc..

Also give me an idea of other software programs to use?

Thanks

I hate frontpage. If you happen to use some other editing software besides front page it will hose your design of page when you bring back up in frontpage.

I use homesite...here at work and I am thinking about using it at home. It is very user friendly to me.

Someone suggested Dreamweaver but I didn't find it to be user friendly.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
89comSUgrad said:
I am using FrontPage 2002 to design a website. It does not have the fancy templates I want to make my site look real fancy, electronic, etc. I found a website that I could down load some front page templates but the price was a little to high for me.

I know nothing is for free, but do any of you know of where I could find some templates that I could use with front page to get my site good looking.

I want an intro flash screen, and some graphic fading in and out, some scrolling text, etc..

Also give me an idea of other software programs to use?

Thanks

Search around Microsuck....I mean Microsoft's site. Suprisingly they have alot of free templates for their software.

I agree on frontpage. If you are going to stick with it its ok though I don't like it but it bloats your html with Microsoft tags. Dreamweaver is just what the name implies if you take a lil time to learn to use it. I used Homesite before Dreamweaver and it also does a better job than Frontpage. I wonder about the future of Homesite though since it is now made by the makers of Dreamweaver and seems to be a redundant product.

Explain to me more about Homesite. I heard of Dreamweaver but I have never used it. Do you know about how much each one would cost?

Both Homesite and Dreamweaver are made by Macromedia. I don't know much about the latest version of Homesite but is was a good design tool if you do most coding by hand. The WYSIWYG editor did not work very well. I am speaking on version 4. Version 5.5 may be better but I assume they put all ofe their development efforts into Dreamweaver. For the functionality Homesite offers I could probably point you to some free editors that do just about the same job.

Dreamweaver is listed for $448 on its website and I cannot find the price for Homesite but I just about garuantee its much cheaper.

You can visit Macromedia's site to learn more about both.

Back in the day, Homesite used to be owned by Allaire. A lot of people liked Homesite because it had some great features and was user friendly. Soon, Macromedia bought Homesite. Now, whenever you purchase Dreamweaver, Homesite is included in the package.

I don't have Homesite, but I did get Dreamweaver MX 2004 for $ Free.99. :hat:

I am a hard core programmer so it doesn't matter which editor I use, I will always use the "CODE" view for the most part. I write my HTML by hand instead of drag and drop.

Killer Bees said:
I am a hard core programmer so it doesn't matter which editor I use, I will always use the "CODE" view for the most part. I write my HTML by hand instead of drag and drop.

I used to code html by hand......have you ever used the Dreamweaver WYSIWYG.....it chanes you lol :lmao:

I'm a lazy programmer so Homesite for me had some pretty sraight forward templates at for as tables, bagrounds and just the basic stuff for your webpage.

Its taking me forever and a day just to get past the tutorial on Dreamweaver. :smh:

I code by hand as well. However, when I want to do something that is time consuming and I don't want to think too much I'll use Dreamweaver. Then I view the code and make my customized changes. I have yet to purchase Dreamweaver. We have it in the computer labs on campus. I use it there when needed.

I think knowing code is important becuase you can tweak the code to your own specifications.

Many people dislike FrontPage. Many of the MS products try to be too intuititve and do stuff for you that you don't want to happen.

Which is why I hate Frontpage. It bloats your code and make it harder to debug if something went wrong. I do it by hand because I have more control except when it involves ASP.Net. Then I just use the Visual Studio.Net IDE.

I tried to use WYSIWYG in Dreamweaver, but just found it iritating. I didn't learn web site development that way, so it is hard.

I don't hate FrontPage, I think it is user friendly and it helps those that really don't want to do hard core programming, since it puts html code behind everything you have on the pages.

My only dislike now is that since I am trying to make extra $$ on the side is does not have fancy things to make my site look professional.

I find the WYSIWYG in Dreamwever to be great especialy when you use split view so you can basicaly draw your tables and other elements and watch the code as it happens....then you can modify the code.

However I would not recommend it to someone that has not learned to code by hand because it will handicap you severely.

89comSUgrad - For what you are aiming to do I dont think you will find templates....or at least layout templates but not the effects you speak of. If you would like to make Flash intros that are not to complicated or just ad moving text effects to portions of your site...try Swish...its built to do alot of the basic effects with less hassle than using Flash but is still produces a Flash file.

Frontpage may be ok for you if you never need to touch the code but if you ever to have to go into the code......LAWD HAVE MERCY :bowdown:

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
I find the WYSIWYG in Dreamwever to be great especialy when you use split view so you can basicaly draw your tables and other elements and watch the code as it happens....then you can modify the code.

However I would not recommend it to someone that has not learned to code by hand because it will handicap you severely.

89comSUgrad - For what you are aiming to do I dont think you will find templates....or at least layout templates but not the effects you speak of. If you would like to make Flash intros that are not to complicated or just ad moving text effects to portions of your site...try Swish...its built to do alot of the basic effects with less hassle than using Flash but is still produces a Flash file.

Frontpage may be ok for you if you never need to touch the code but if you ever to have to go into the code......LAWD HAVE MERCY :bowdown:

I want a Flash intro and some moving things on my page, i.e. text and graphics fading in and out.
You mentioned Swish above.

Walk me through on how to use it. I really appreciate it

89comSUgrad said:
I want a Flash intro and some moving things on my page, i.e. text and graphics fading in and out.
You mentioned Swish above.

Walk me through on how to use it. I really appreciate it

For some dumb reason I do not have swish at home yet. So I can't give you the best of walk throughs. Its about $99 if you want to buy it. I believe there is a trail version at their site.

I would suggest you do your layout either via a template or in frontpage. Make sure that you see room for your text effects in the template you select. Once you have that done you can create your text effect in swish or flash and frontpage should be able to insert that object for you.

I started out coding by hand, but after a while, I got frustrated, and moved to Frontpage. It works fine for what I need to do. I don't need a lot of fancy stuff, just a place to host my pictures. When I DO have some things I want to do differently, I play around with the code until I get it to do what I want.

Not easy with Frontpage, but for now, it does the trick.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I used to do a little web design in my free time back in the day and FrontPage '98 worked pretty well for me. I had actually never learned html code, and decided not to. However, in college, I was one of those geeks who could pretty much walk in the computer lab and programme in any code I needed at the time. I was able to tweak code in FrontPage, but I had to make a habit of seving it elsewhere sometimes. FrontPage had a bad habit of trying to second guess you and redoing to code as it thought you meant.
Don't know what the latest versions of FP have to offer, but I'm sure that Microsoft still think they are smarter than everyone else.

Back