Free Wi-Fi in New Orleans

cat daddy

New Orleans launches free Wi-Fi service
Biggest such effort by a major city yet

Updated: 9:19 p.m. ET Nov. 29, 2005

NEW ORLEANS - To help boost its stalled economy, hurricane-ravaged New Orleans is offering the nation's first free wireless Internet network owned and run by a major city.

Mayor Ray Nagin said Tuesday the system would benefit residents and small businesses who still can't get their Internet service restored over the city's washed out telephone network, while showing the nation "that we are building New Orleans back."

The system started operation Tuesday in the central business district and French Quarter. It's to be available throughout the city in about a year.

undreds of similar projects in other cities have met with stiff opposition from phone and cable TV companies, which have poured money into legislative bills aimed at blocking competition from government agencies ? including a state law in Louisiana that needed to be sidestepped for the New Orleans project.

The city had been working on a Wi-Fi network before Hurricane Katrina struck Aug. 29, and police already were using the wireless system to monitor street security cameras.

Nagin said Katrina, which knocked out communications throughout the region, frustrating coordination of relief efforts, showed the need for a more-advanced system.

In case of another storm, the network will be able to connect telephone calls via the Internet.

"What we learned is a network like this is important as a backup in case all other communications fail," the mayor said.

The system uses hardware mounted on street lights. Most of the $1 million in equipment was donated by three companies: Intel Corp., Tropos Networks Inc. and Pronto Networks. The companies also plan to donate equipment for the citywide expansion. Tropos is connecting the system to the Internet at no charge.

The network uses "mesh" technology to pass the wireless signal from pole to pole rather than each Wi-Fi transmitter being plugged directly into a physical network cable. That way, laptop users will be able to connect even in areas where the wireline phone network will take time to restore.

Bell South is not happy about the free wireless. Bell South had agreed to donate a damaged building to the city for use as new police headquarters. They have withdrawn the offer.

full story

Angry BellSouth Withdrew Donation, New Orleans Says

By Jonathan Krim
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, December 3, 2005; D01

Hours after New Orleans officials announced Tuesday that they would deploy a city-owned, wireless Internet network in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, regional phone giant BellSouth Corp. withdrew an offer to donate one of its damaged buildings that would have housed new police headquarters, city officials said yesterday.

According to the officials, the head of BellSouth's Louisiana operations, Bill Oliver, angrily rescinded the offer of the building in a conversation with New Orleans homeland security director Terry Ebbert, who oversees the roughly 1,650-member police force.

City officials said BellSouth was upset about the plan to bring high-speed Internet access for free to homes and businesses to help stimulate resettlement and relocation to the devastated city. Around the country, large telephone companies have aggressively lobbied against localities launching their own Internet networks, arguing that they amount to taxpayer-funded competition. Some states have laws prohibiting them.

BellSouth spokesman Jeff Battcher disputed the city's version of events.

"Our willingness to work with the mayor and the city is still on the table," Battcher said. "We've been working for over two months on this building . . . we are a little surprised by these comments."

Battcher said Oliver spoke directly with the mayor on Tuesday after the WiFi announcement and told him they needed to continue to work through issues regarding the building. He said BellSouth is awaiting the mayor's response.

The police have been scattered in hotels, precinct stations and other makeshift locations since the headquarters was ruined in the hurricane and had been preparing to move to the building after months of discussions with the phone company, city officials said.

Dr. Freeze said:
...hey now. :D

LOL... but for real. They are acting like they were soo concerned and willing to help, but now they are hating because they will lose the near monopoly on internet service.

You work for Bellsouth? My mom retired from there in 2002.

jag4life said:
LOL... but for real. They are acting like they were soo concerned and willing to help, but now they are hating because they will lose the near monopoly on internet service.

You work for Bellsouth? My mom retired from there in 2002.

I agree with you J4L. Hell the city is trying to do something to bring business and people back to the city and they want to act like a spoiled brat. It's not like they don't have a monopoly on telephone service.

I fired BS earlier this year.

Sounds like BS is tryna' go for the throat. lol

The La Ops Mgr makes it appear as though his entire livelihood may be in jeopardy. :what: I'm sure that the original NO market area was a sizable share of the entire market for La but wow. Other considerations, considering the wake of tragedies, should've been implemented. Terrible. :tdown:

i didnt know that! i was wondering why and where this signal kept comin from. but its too slow for me we got cox.:swink:

Back