Former TxSu President Austin Lane finalist for SIUC JOB

I'm not surprised at all. To be named a finalist for chancellor instead of president is saying a lot.

Obviously, the search firm that forwarded and recommended him looked into and considered what transpired at my TSU as nothing more than a hot mess.

It is even more telling that SIU's chancellor search committee accepted the recommendation.

Good for Dr. Lane, I wish him well.

Last edited:

This is gonna set TSU back for a while. It takes at least 1.5 years for a new president to really get started and we haven't even announced candidates yet. I like Dr. Lane and felt he was good for TSU but I felt what TSU really needed was someone more aggressive in making TSU a top ranked academic institution. Although well intentioned, I never heard Lane once say he wanted to do that. TSU can be the #1 public HBCU (instead of the crappy ranking now) in the country with the right leadership which will increase the prestige and value of our degrees ... let's get it! I know rankings are not everything but they matter in academia reputation. I KNOW I got a quality education hence why I was able to hang at a major research PWI for grad school (no grade lower than a B).

Last edited:
Lane is one of two finalist remaining since one of the finalist dropped out.

The SIUC Faculty Association has recommended Austin Lane and Susan Stapleton as finalists for SIU’s chancellor position.

Kenneth Evans, SIUC chancellor search finalist and president of Lamar University, has withdrawn from the search.
According to an email by SIU System President Dan Mahony, Evans withdrew from the search on Sunday.

SIU president picks Austin Lane as Carbondale chancellor

CARBONDALE — Former Texas Southern University President Austin Lane is likely to be the next chancellor of Southern Illinois University Carbondale.

President Dan Mahony said that Lane is a “visionary leader” interested in sticking with the Carbondale campus for the long haul, and that he has recommended his hiring to the SIU Board of Trustees.

In a joint meeting with reporters Tuesday afternoon, SIU Board President Phil Gilbert said that he has faith in Mahony’s choice and anticipates that the board will approve Lane's contract.

Mahony said that he received a great deal of positive feedback about Lane from faculty and alumni of Texas Southern, despite his controversial exit from the university earlier this year.
“Well over 100 people actually contacted us from Texas Southern saying, basically, ‘You should hire him, that he’s a wonderful leader, he works well with faculty, he works well with students, cares about students and student success,’” Mahony said.

Well the latest gambit by the remnant of our pathetic board members didn't torpedo Lane's chances liked they hoped. My alma mater has been left with a mess to clean up that could have been avoided.

Austin A. Lane, former president of Texas Southern University, has been appointed the new chancellor of Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, according to a university release.

Lane’s appointment was approved unanimously by the university’s board of trustees Friday following the recommendation of SIU System President Daniel F. Mahony. His appointment will begin July 6 and Lane intends to be Illinois by end of June, a Southern Illinois official said.

Last edited:
Logo sorta looks familiar...

100699808_2633837683498584_6505028926740365312_o.jpg

Back