Former President Bill Clinton to give Tougaloo Commencement address

PV-PRIDE

Clinton to give Tougaloo address

By Andy Kanengiser
akanengiser@clarionledger.com

Former President Clinton, a strong supporter of historically black colleges, will give Tougaloo College's commencement address May 18.

"President Clinton is excited about this opportunity and is looking forward to joining you at this event," Laura A. Graham, Clinton's director of scheduling and advance, wrote in a Feb. 19 letter to Tougaloo President Barbara Hogan.

Hogan said late Thursday night she did not want to comment before a formal announcement.

Clinton last visited the state in 1999, including a stop in Clarksdale, while on a nationwide tour geared toward encouraging businesses to locate in historically blighted areas.

"It is most fitting, appropriate and timely," Jackson Ward 2 Councilman Leslie B. McLemore, a Jackson State University political scientist, said of Clinton's upcoming visit. "I hope his presence will help Tougaloo be able to raise its fund-raising profile to a higher level," McLemore said.

While Clinton critics won't be happy with his visit, "the city will clearly welcome him with open arms and have the appropriate proclamations," McLemore said.

The former Arkansas governor, who now maintains an office in New York City, will follow a commencement address at Tougaloo last year by his friend Vernon Jordan, a prominent Washington lawyer-lobbyist and civil rights activist. Other graduation speakers have included philanthropist and TV mogul Ted Turner and Marian Wright Edelman, the founder of the Children's Defense Fund.

"People are energized,'' said Jackson businessman LeRoy Walker Jr., chairman of Tougaloo's Board of Trustees. "Things are looking up on campus."

Send this article as a postcard

My wife is a Tougaloo alum and she told me about this yesterday. The first Black president (Clinton is a brotha posing as a white man) will be speaking at the Loo. :tup:

I wonder where they'll have commencement? They normally have Spring Commence on the lawn under the trees in front of the Chapel.....

But since Bill Clinton's coming, they might have to move it. ( I hope not).

Tougaloo has one of the prettiest Commencements I've ever seen.

But the Chapel has been renovated, and then there's the George and Ruth Owens Health and Wellness Center, too.

I'm just happy for Tougaloo.

:tup::tup:

I think Tougaloo?s Commencement should be moved to Memorial Stadium to accommodate the overflow crowd.

Originally posted by BLUEBENGAL
I think Tougaloo?s Commencement should be moved to Memorial Stadium to accommodate the overflow crowd.

I doubt if they have enough for that.

I'm not a Tougaloo grad and don't even have friends who are graduating from there this year, but I'll be at THAT graduation.

Tougaloo pulling Clinton is not a surprise; They always pulling GOOD speakers for commencement.

Originally posted by Robber
My wife is a Tougaloo alum and she told me about this yesterday. The first Black president (Clinton is a brotha posing as a white man) will be speaking at the Loo. :tup:

The world don't know how much a brotha he is. The man can talk off the top of his head. When he was governor here in Arkansas he came to UAPB many times. Hmmm, I wonder why.:D

Back