Former JSU Star Remembers Ex Teammate.

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
Sports
http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=878614&nav=2CSJAQoi

7/31/2002
Former JSU Star Remembers Ex Teammate.
Email story to a friend

The next few days will be the hardest for Fernando Smith, who only recently regained his desire to play football following the death of close friend Korey Stringer.

Smith, a defensive end with the Minnesota Vikings last year and a former Jackson State lineman, was one of Stringer's closest friends. They played video games together, drove to and from practice together and shared cookouts with their families.

When Stringer collapsed from heat stroke during training camp a year ago Wednesday, Smith was the first teammate at the hospital.

He was the one who called Stringer's wife to tell her of her husband's problems and when Kelci Stringer arrived at the hospital, Smith says he was the one who told her Stringer had died.

Smith, now with the Carolina Panthers, still gets emotional a year after Stringer's death.

"It hit me kind of hard. Just seeing my friend lying there on the table dying and knowing there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it," Smith said.

Smith was out with a rotator cuff injury at the time of Stringer's death. He took the rest of the season off after he recovered, too grief-stricken to get back on Minnesota's field.

"It wasn't that I didn't want to play football again, but I didn't want to be on a team where I couldn't give 100 percent," Smith said. "My mind was elsewhere. My mind was basically on Korey's family and taking care of my family because we were all so very close. There was a just a big hole there."

Jack Del Rio, Smith's former teammate and coach, helped Smith through the trying times. He persuaded Smith to take the time away from football to pull himself together.

"I talked to Jack because he was close with Korey, too," Smith said. "He said `Get yourself together mentally more than anything else.' The physical part I wasn't worried about. So I did that."

When Carolina coach John Fox named Del Rio defensive coordinator, Del Rio pushed for the Panthers to sign Smith. He was given a one-year contract worth the league minimum and is expected to back up and tutor first-round draft pick Julius Peppers at left end.

Smith has No. 77, Stringer's number, written on his gloves, the only reminder he needs of that tragic training camp day.

"Fernando is a warrior," Del Rio said. "And he's hungry. He wants it. His temperament is exactly what this team needs. The more we have of that the better off well be."

Back