Former JSU coach Carl Roberts lands at Grambling

JSU/99

From the clarionledger.com:

Carl Roberts spent 16 seasons as the offensive line coach at his alma mater before sitting out of coaching last season after not being retained by first-year coach James Bell. After a year away from the game, the personable Roberts is returning to the sidelines as offensive coach at one of JSU's biggest rivals, Grambling State.

Roberts begins his new job Monday.

"It's a great opportunity for me to get back into coaching," said Roberts, who is well-respected around the league. "I love Jackson State, but my loyalty is at Grambling now."

JSU plays at Grambling on Oct. 23. "I'm sure I'll have a strange type feeling that day, but that's life. At the end of the day, it's a job.".

This is old news to the ICON Cartel in the loop. Heard good things about Coach Carl. Seems to be a real good guy. He will be blessed with working with the same talented, large o-line for the next 3 years. He will have to look for a new center in 2005, but the rest of the o-line will have been together atleast 2 years. If Eugene gets another second and a half in the pocket things will be even worse for the other teams. Hopefully he will sharpen their foot work and run blocking/stunt/trap skills to open up bigger holes for Kuaan, Tolbert & Eugene.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
This is old news to the ICON Cartel in the loop. Heard good things about Coach Carl. Seems to be a real good guy. He will be blessed with working with the same talented, large o-line for the next 3 years. He will have to look for a new center in 2005, but the rest of the o-line will have been together atleast 2 years. If Eugene gets another second and a half in the pocket things will be even worse for the other teams. Hopefully he will sharpen their foot work and run blocking/stunt/trap skills to open up bigger holes for Kuaan, Tolbert & Eugene.

Carl Roberts is a good guy at heart but he won't teach those guys much. I would say more but you all would consider it as smack.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Carl Roberts is a good guy at heart but he won't teach those guys much. I would say more but you all would consider it as smack.

The man worked with OL since 1987. He has to bring something to the table. You don't work in the same place fo 16 years and not know anything. That offensive line at jsu looked good to me in the late 80's and mid & late 90's.

Originally posted by JROCK
The man worked with OL since 1987. He has to bring something to the table. You don't work in the same place fo 16 years and not know anything. That offensive line at jsu looked good to me in the late 80's and mid & late 90's.

I guess he is the one that help Lewis Tillman rack up those yards for J-State.

He was a decent coach for most of his tenure, then fell off during the last 2-3 seasons. I can't really say he's a good coach or even a bad coach, he's just OK. Maybe he'll do great at Grambling, maybe he won't. Who knows. But don't expect a whole lot from him when it comes to teaching technique.

BTW, I think he was a grad assistant during the Tillman years; he didn't graduate until 1985.

Originally posted by JSU/99
He was a decent coach for most of his tenure, then fell off during the last 2-3 seasons. I can't really say he's a good coach or even a bad coach, he's just OK. Maybe he'll do great at Grambling, maybe he won't. Who knows. But don't expect a whole lot from him when it comes to teaching technique.

Do you think lack of talent has something to do with it?

Let's just say this....he knows about as much as he does not know. I think that he is a good coach....however, all he knows is JSU football. Not saying that you can't learn anything from HBCU football but I was hoping that Roberts, Asberry, and Pratt would spend 3-4 years in a different environment so that they would be better off than they were while at JSU. I am certainly disappointed that he is at Grambling.

Do you think lack of talent has something to do with it?

Yes it played a part. But the fact that our new OL coach had to basically start over from scratch with our guys from a technique standpoint is telling.

Put it this way: Before 1999, I wouldn't have taken anything for Roberts. But after 1999? He was a major disappointment. Maybe a change of scenary is what he needed. The players always liked him and he was an important part of our success. But again, don't expect a whole lot when it comes to technique.

Originally posted by JSU/99
Yes it played a part. But the fact that our new OL coach had to basically start over from scratch with our guys from a technique standpoint is telling.

Put it this way: Before 1999, I wouldn't have taken anything for Roberts. But after 1999? He was a major disappointment. Maybe a change of scenary is what he needed. The players always liked him and he was an important part of our success. But again, don't expect a whole lot when it comes to technique.

You do realize that many coaches have different techniques and they both can be effective.

You do realize that many coaches have different techniques and they both can be effective.

Yes I do. But I also realize that there are semi-basic skills that any lineman should have after 2-3 years of college coaching. Our guys seemed to be lacking those skills.

Keep in mind, I'm not downing Roberts totally. He was an important part of our team, and he conducted himself very well after he was let go (unlike some of our ex-coaches). If you guys have the talent you say you have on the line, he'll do well. He just seems to be below average when it comes to teaching technique. That's all I'm saying.

March 3, 2004

"He has the discipline and the maturity we're looking for - both as a player and now as a teacher on the offensive line," Spears said. "His demeanor will flow over to our guys. We are looking for the guys to protect, but also to help us run the ball a little bit. Roberts will be perfect."

"They want to put a little more teeth in the running game," Roberts says, "so we want to refine their technique. They were just one game from a fourth championship game last year; that means they are doing a lot of things right already. I want to build on that."

The entire story

Back