Former Hoover High coach...

DAHILL

Former Hoover High School football coach Rush Propst pursuing assistant college jobs
Wednesday, January 09, 2008
JON SOLOMON
News staff writer

Former Hoover High football coach Rush Propst's attempt to rebuild his image and continue his career takes him to California and Florida this week with a desire to become a college assistant.

Propst is in California through today at the American Football Coaches Association convention. Propst said he has at least three interviews scheduled for assistant positions - one each in Division I, Division I-AA and Division II.

Propst said he will speak later this week with Choctawhatchee High School in Fort Walton Beach, Fla., about its head coaching position. Propst was among 55 candidates to apply for the job.

"It's sort of an informal sit-down to see if they're interested in having a football program like (Hoover) just had the last nine years," Propst said.

"I want to know quick, are we in or out? If not, I'll turn back to the college game. That's where I want to go."

Propst said he has agreed to work for new Auburn University offensive coordinator Tony Franklin at his clinics teaching the spread offense. The clinics are three days each and are in Nashville, Houston, Dallas, Atlantic City, N.J., and Costa Mesa, Calif.

Last July, Propst reserved the name "Rush Propst Inc." in Alabama to possibly incorporate his own coaching clinic.

"This is still the Tony Franklin camp. It's his deal," Propst said. "I'm going to work for him. Rush Propst's name is not going to be on it anywhere."

Propst resigned Oct. 30 from Hoover amid allegations of academic misconduct in his program and questions about his personal life and finances. He left with a settlement package worth approximately $208,000.

Propst said potential employers are asking questions about his tenure at Hoover.

"Most of it, I'd say 90 percent of it, they understand what went on and know the political waves," Propst said. "I probably stayed too long."

Propst, who won five state championships and promoted Hoover to a national audience, said he has no interest in chasing another high school job.

"I'd gotten to the point in the regular season - and this is sad to say - where if we weren't playing a national game or one of our top rivals, I'd gotten bored," Propst said.

Propst said he no longer needs the limelight and is trying to tone himself down.

"I don't want to be known as this high-profile head coach that's a yeller, a screamer and he's gone and done all these things," he said. "I have to go back to being what I started - a very good offensive football coach and be a good foot soldier."

"It's sort of an informal sit-down to see if they're interested in having a football program like (Hoover) just had the last nine years," Propst said.

He's just a little full of himself.:retard:

He's just a little full of himself.:retard:

I believe he is talking about the city of Hoover, not Hoover High. He started a program throughout the city where all the lil league teams started learning the same offense that Hoover High uses. By the time they got to high school, they pretty much knew everything they needed to know. Spain Park (the other high school in Hoover) made it to the 6a state finals this year. Their kids went through the same program.

I believe he is talking about the city of Hoover, not Hoover High. He started a program throughout the city where all the lil league teams started learning the same offense that Hoover High uses. By the time they got to high school, they pretty much knew everything they needed to know. Spain Park (the other high school in Hoover) made it to the 6a state finals this year. Their kids went through the same program.

They have been doing that in Valdosta and.Colquit Co for decades with the park teaching and running the same offense as the high schools

They have been doing that in Valdosta and.Colquit Co for decades with the park teaching and running the same offense as the high schools

Who ever said Hoover was the first? Propst just said "an informal sit-down to see if they're interested in having a football program like (Hoover) just had the last nine years". Would it have made you feel better if he would have said a program like Valdosta (even though he coached at Hoover). And I recognize Valdosta as being a national power, but the city doesnt have Hoover money. Propst was making more money than most SWAC coaches. He had his own coaches show, all Hoovers games were on live tv, got a new car every year from the school. Hoover football boosters raised over 1.5 million just LAST YEAR for the football program. That is why he doesnt want to coach high school football anymore, because he knows there arent too many school systems that spend/ raise money like that for athletics. Spain Park High just opened up recently giving the city two high schools and they are on their way to being the next Hoover in the state. They lost in the state championship game this past year.

You're exactly right. My wife is from Valdosta and I used to live behind the HS while stationed there in the Air Force. By the time a kid gets to HS he knows all the plays, O and D. The only thing they do in HS is strenght, speed, and conditioning.
It's amazing how good those young kids down there are. My nephew is a beast and will run through a brick wall if the coach tells him to (lOl).

Bill Clark has implemented it all the way down to the Y and independent football leagues in Prattville.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Same way at S. Panola.
Those kid's come from middle school ready to run with the highschool cause the run the same system.

:topic:
South Panola should put some of that energy into makeing sure those kids are eligible to play D-1 ball.

Does any area of Louisiana do this? When I was growing up you weren't introduced to contact football until 7th grade. Kids here in Ga start tackling at about 7-8 yrs old.

Im not seeing how he is "stuck on himself"..... when you are use to coaching at Hoover it would make it hard for you to coach high school football somewhere else. Hoover is one of the "richest" cities in the South. Most people who live there got money and its the fastest growing city in Alabama. Hoover has around 85,000 people now, so its not some small country suburb, like the MTV show depicted. Football boosters at Hoover High raise more money than alot of DIAA programs do.

The city of Hoover has 2 large high schools, and both of their head coaches make over 100,000 base salary.... and they spend ALOT of money on athletics. When you spend money like that you will have success. Spain Park High is only about 5 years old and they made it to the 6a state championship game this year before losing to Prattville.

74824.JPG

74823.JPG

77196.jpg

77419.jpg

Practice Fields
77418.jpg

Lounge
77421.jpg

Does any area of Louisiana do this? When I was growing up you weren't introduced to contact football until 7th grade. Kids here in Ga start tackling at about 7-8 yrs old.

its younger than that here in Alabama well based on weight. (When you are at that age they group you into weight categories instead of age). My nephew is a BIG 6 year old and playes contact football.

:topic:
South Panola should put some of that energy into makeing sure those kids are eligible to play D-1 ball.

And the difference betyween S. Panola and any other school in the Metro or Mississippi for that matter?
The JuCo's are filled with kid's that don't make the grade here.

Hoover High

3.jpg

gym
2.jpg

partial view of one of the weightrooms (basketball team) overlooking the gym
1.jpg

And the difference betyween S. Panola and any other school in the Metro or Mississippi for that matter?
The JuCo's are filled with kid's that don't make the grade here.

I use South Panola as a point of reference since its the premier program in the state. The majority of our schools do a poor job of this. However with the emphasis placed on football in Batesville, you'd think they'd do a better job of helping their athletes become eligible for D-1 football. I can say the same thing about Lanier in basketball.

Hoover is basically like those Gwinnett County schools in GA. They use their big money to get them a few years of success but it never lasts long. Just like Parkview had their few year run and North Gwinnett is trying to do it now. They just absorb talent from around the rest of the area..isnt even necessarily about them having good coaches. When Parkview was on top of 5-AAAAA and we were 3-AAA we still beat them to sleep.

Bill Clark has implemented it all the way down to the Y and independent football leagues in Prattville.

Note: Bill Clark also was an Assistant Coach at Hoover before taking over Prattville's program. He knows Hoover's system and runs that same program at Prattville. The City of Prattville just had a parade tonight 01/14/08 honoring their football team with accomplishing two back-to-back undefeated seasons, and for finishing the year being the 2nd ranked team in the nation. Their football season finished in Nov.---That's how serious these folks are in Autauga County about winning.

Hoover is basically like those Gwinnett County schools in GA. They use their big money to get them a few years of success but it never lasts long. Just like Parkview had their few year run and North Gwinnett is trying to do it now. They just absorb talent from around the rest of the area..isnt even necessarily about them having good coaches. When Parkview was on top of 5-AAAAA and we were 3-AAA we still beat them to sleep.

Gwinnet County's Brookwood High School Booster club President makes a living going around selling his booster club program philosophy. He taught those philosophy to Hoover High School a few years back.

Gwinnet County's Brookwood High School Booster club President makes a living going around selling his booster club program philosophy. He taught those philosophy to Hoover High School a few years back.

See...basically my point.

Have you seen that jumbotron at Parkview(Gwinnett Co)? WOW! Instant reply and all...

John Curtis, right outside of New Orleans does this, they are pretty much state champs 7 out of every 10 yrs too. That is where Joe McKnight from USC went to high school.

The differenceis Curtis doesn't compete at the top level, and Curtis is a private school. I give them credit, but by being a private school thay have some built in advantages.

As for the coach being full of himself, most people in leadership position have a degree of confidence in themselves. If you didn't, you wouldn't be in the position. You have to be a bit cocky to be effective as a coach, or at least i think so.

millions in donations for HS athletics? I'm not saying that it's not good to raise money to support your programs, but millions for a bunch of teenagers. And we complain that these kids nowadays come with some sense of entitlement, like the world owes them something? Hell, Hoover and (insert other schools here) have been givin them the world literally for years. How in the (bleep) you expect them to act.

Insane people, just insane.

I guess people forget the MAIN purpose a high school is open. And we wonder why many of our kids fall through the cracks? Priorities are soooo misplaced nowadays. It's too late to reverse course now.

Bissinger showed the light when he wrote Friday Night Lights (read the book, eye opening!). Sad thing is there is a Permian situation in almost every state with dozens of Boobie Miles' to go with it.

Back