Former ESPN 100 and four-star power forward Carte’are Gordon is transferring to Grambling

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
It was an interesting dialogue and the sister was holding it down, no doubt. However, it would have been nice to have a brother or 2 from an HBCU that is holding it down and knowledgeable be a part of the conversation as well. I hate to hear what Reggie Wayne stated about Grambling not recruiting him though he has deep family roots there. We have to make the effort these days because athletes just don't fall into our laps as they did back in the day (not even potential legacy students) though I only heard one side of it (BTW, this happens at all HBCU{s} though some are recruited and decline as well). I'm going to end here because there is so much more that can be said and a message board posting can't do it justice.

It was an interesting dialogue and the sister was holding it down, no doubt. However, it would have been nice to have a brother or 2 from an HBCU that is holding it down and knowledgeable be a part of the conversation as well. I hate to hear what Reggie Wayne stated about Grambling not recruiting him though he has deep family roots there. We have to make the effort these days because athletes just don't fall into our laps as they did back in the day (not even potential legacy students) though I only heard one side of it (BTW, this happens at all HBCU{s} though some are recruited and decline as well). I'm going to end here because there is so much more that can be said and a message board posting can't do it justice.

legacies are the hardest to recruit cause the parent has the inside info and experience that can cause them to be a problem in the process which has been filtered to the kid

Blacks compared to whites in the process when it comes to high level recruits tend to let the kid have more of a say and won’t go on the record publicly for reasons unknown especially when it comes to them attending an hbcu. If a white kid whose parent went to the big state schools it’s well-known early on and only way the kid doesn’t go if the parent has bad feelings towards the coaching staff.

but the issue I have is when we lose them not to the Power 5 but to average football schools and the parent was an hbcu star who benefited big time from playing at an HBCU.

And another issue is location - we are basically from Houston to East Coast. Once you get to places like San Antonio and beyond you Have more military influence, more interracial marriages and little hbcu exposure and that’s major considering you have the west coast and two major cities headed west. you have markets that will be hard to ever get a footing in due to lack of hbcu exposure on a daily basis from employees, etc to help shape a narrative

Back