For SU Alums: Why Are You Sending Your Kids to LSU Lab?

Kamala

I see a disturbing trend around Baton Rouge. I see a good number of SU alums who live in and around Baton Rouge sending their kids to private schools like LSU Lab, Episcopal, Catholic High and St. Joseph's rather than sending their kids to SU Lab. Why is that? Why don't we build up and maintain one a legendary school not just in Baton Rouge and Louisiana but in all of the United States? SU Lab is a historically relevant school.

I see a disturbing trend around Baton Rouge. I see a good number of SU alums who live in and around Baton Rouge sending their kids to private schools like LSU Lab, Episcopal, Catholic High and St. Joseph's rather than sending their kids to SU Lab. Why is that? Why don't we build up and maintain one a legendary school not just in Baton Rouge and Louisiana but in all of the United States? SU Lab is a historically relevant school.

Good question, at TSU we had several SU Lab graduates attend and they were very smart

Also it can be about location, most bougie SU educated black folk don't live near SU

Good question, at TSU we had several SU Lab graduates attend and they were very smart

Also it can be about location, most bougie SU educated black folk don't live near SU

Yes, SU Lab has a history of distinguished graduates. All the more reason I don't understand why many of its alums and alums of Southern University are allowing the school to go down. Yet, many of these same people will argue you down about all that Southern University is and means but they are sending their kids to LSU Lab.

Yes, SU Lab has a history of distinguished graduates. All the more reason I don't understand why many of its alums and alums of Southern University are allowing the school to go down. Yet, many of these same people will argue you down about all that Southern University is and means but they are sending their kids to LSU Lab.

Right. But SU Lab is lacking many resources the private white schools are not. So those that can afford LSU Lab, go. But usually their kids are being outperformed at these schools which wouldn't happen at SU Lab. Pros and Cons

Right. But SU Lab is lacking many resources the private white schools are not. So those that can afford LSU Lab, go. But usually their kids are being outperformed at these schools which wouldn't happen at SU Lab. Pros and Cons

I understand all that. But, I argue to Black folks especially those who are sending their kids to LSU Lab is that SU Lab would be a different school if they were sending their kids there. If SU Lab has more students and more students who come from educated and middle and upper middle class families then SU Lab's resources will increase. LSU Lab has money because the parents and alums give back. SU Lab could be doing the same thing. But, in our Black American culture we largely (of course there are exceptions) don't treasure and maintain our own institutions like we claim we do.

For the record University Lab, like Southern Lab and Southeastern Lab ... are considered public schools by the state of Louisiana. They take state standardized tests.

Lab does have a history (on the heels of athletics), but McKinley is still Southern's top BR feeder school and has the deepest roots in BR.

University is the only school in Louisiana that has the international baccalaureate curriculum, but BR negroes don't care about that. It's a status thing. That's why they're sending their kids to University.

However, I do understand why folks see that as an indictment against Southern Lab (unless they play football).

Well SU lab over the past few years has grown as for as enrollment,,they also work along side the STEM programs with SUBR.

If you look at the Board meeting's this past year, they are finally making upgrades to the school.

The biggest enrollment growth has been to go to a virtual school, which has double the size of the enrollment, which mean more money is coming in.

https://www-theadvocate-com.cdn.amp...cle_7f8c283d-5d61-5daa-8cf0-77eed8b84a0f.html

Last edited:
Well SU lab over the past few years has grown as for as enrollment,,they also work along side the STEM programs with SUBR.

If you look at the Board meeting's this past year, they are finally making upgrades to the school.

The biggest enrollment growth has been to go to a virtual school, which has double the size of the enrollment, which mean more money is coming in.

https://www-theadvocate-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/education/article_7f8c283d-5d61-5daa-8cf0-77eed8b84a0f.amp.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ==#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/education/article_7f8c283d-5d61-5daa-8cf0-77eed8b84a0f.html

Does Southern Lab have a library yet? Last I heard the school still has no library. How do we let one of our venerable Black Baton Rouge schools be without the foundation of a school, a library? We must do better.

I went to U-High and graduated from SU in Electrical Engineering in the 80"s (3rd gen). University High was a great college prep school back then so no regrets, but I always knew I would attend THE SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY in the end.
My daughter attended Allen High (TX) and graduated from SU last May in Pre-Med Biology (4th gen). She's currently enrolled in a 1yr post bacc at Johns Hopkins in Rockville MD and is scheduled to grad in May with a MS in Biotechnology, followed by Medical School.
I also have relatives that are SU Alums and their kids attend Episcopal because it is a good school. But they still want their kids to go to SU.

Back