For Priest Turned Professor, 'Holy Envy' Is Key To Appreciating World Religions

Olde Hornet

Very interesting interview.

As part of the course, Taylor invited members of different faiths into the classroom to share their beliefs. She also brought her students, who were mostly Christian, to mosques, synagogues and Buddhist and Hindu temples in an effort to help them better understand how various groups worship.

"I hoped it would be a way to convince [the students] that they could find things they liked about other traditions, and it would not make them disloyal to their own," Taylor says. "And it worked most of the time."

Taylor writes about how teaching the different religions changed her students' understanding of faith — as well as her own — in her new memoir, Holy Envy. She says the name of the book comes from her own experiences with different faiths.

"I would walk in and immediately find something to fall in love with," she says. "The beauty of the space, the tenor of the discourse, the teacher for the evening, the hospitality we were offered. I ended up being just bowled over by the beauty and kindness that I encountered every place I went.

I love it!!!!!

I get so sick and tired of Pastors....especially Christian pastors dogging out other Religions but have not once associated with closely or researched those religions enough to understand them.
It is really strange because if not for where we were born many of us could have grown up in another religion. Just imagine being born in a Muslim country and growing up Muslim and being told your religion is the true path to Heaven/God. Now what if you were Hindu or Buddhist or whatever?

Whatever faith inspires you to be merciful/kind, deal justly with others and humbly submit to your God then follow that belief system.

People REALLY need to wake up.

I love it!!!!!

I get so sick and tired of Pastors....especially Christian pastors dogging out other Religions but have not once associated with closely or researched those religions enough to understand them.

For the past 3 years now, I've been really contemplating going to seminary school because I'm at a point in my faith walk where I want to dig deeper into God's word. And I was very, very surprised to find Judaism very, very helpful when studying the Old Testament. The Torah and Talmud have been instrumental in this, especially Levitical law, and it's really fascinating how more in-depth both are. I've also discovered the significance of geographical location in the Holy Bible from Judaism.

It is really strange because if not for where we were born many of us could have grown up in another religion. Just imagine being born in a Muslim country and growing up Muslim and being told your religion is the true path to Heaven/God. Now what if you were Hindu or Buddhist or whatever?

Whatever faith inspires you to be merciful/kind, deal justly with others and humbly submit to your God then follow that belief system.

People REALLY need to wake up.

I see some of that Micah 6:8 in here!

Back