For Brothers who like to Dress up and Stay Sharp in the 2020s

Shit white people too. I see it every day at work. Black folks aren't the ones keeping these high end designers afloat.

Of course they do. Hell, I don't have a problem with Black folks doing it either if they can afforded it. But in the case of my relatives, they cannot afford it. And like I said before, don't get me started on them. :mad:

Of course they do. Hell, I don't have a problem with Black folks doing it either if they can afforded it. But in the case of my relatives, they cannot afford it. And like I said before, don't get me started on them. :mad:
I have 2 relatives who I can confirm own real Gucci items. My brother in law who's a college professor, and my adult daughter who can't afford it (her bf bought it for a gift from what I was told). LOL

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Absolutely, white supremacy has led to our obsession with our appearance. For example, my grandmother said that whenever her and her mom would go to the city around white folk ... they always put on their best clothes in hopes of being treated with more dignity and respect. It rarely worked but it was an admirable attempt to reinstate our humanity in a society that didn't see us as human ... nice clothes and fashion taste was the easiest way to publicly express how we were worthy of fair treatment and respect. That has parlayed to fashion and designer clothes being a huge staple in the black community.

I mean even today ... anytime I see someone well dressed ... my first thought of that person is usually a positive one and not a negative one.

White people always had the privilage to be treated with respect and humanity so their outward appearance mattered little generally speaking
In my first school as a full-time teacher, I had this Principal, cool as a fan, Alcorn State/SWAC Alum. He was never flashy and for the longest time, drove a station wagon. <--just an example of how he was never flashy with his money.

Yet he used to encourage the teachers to once a year, take a credit card and splurge. His thing was, he definitely wanted us to look the part as well as be the part. What I realized was that one of the reasons the school under his leadership had so much respect from those on the outside that came in an observed was the way the teachers dressed. Our scores and student behaviors were no different from a typical Title I school in the hood of Memphis. Yet people were actually saying positive things about the school based upon how well the teachers dressed.

I even know of a colleague in higher ed that got a big promotion simply because our Chancellor thought he wore his suits well.

I get compliments from time to time. But again, clothes are not my number one priority. I will get the most affordable stuff and make it look right. Plus, I like to show my mentees from time to time that I can make it do what it do.

Some brothers I know have found their best bargains at thrift stores.

...just some interesting observations

The entire reason we have a sneaker culture is due to poor Black people using sneakers as status symbols. Looking down on others was a natural result of that.
Maybe with the younger sneaker heads. Although, I know several 25 and over that understand it's not what the masses are into.

In my first school as a full-time teacher, I had this Principal, cool as a fan, Alcorn State/SWAC Alum. He was never flashy and for the longest time, drove a station wagon. <--just an example of how he was never flashy with his money.

Yet he used to encourage the teachers to once a year, take a credit card and splurge. His thing was, he definitely wanted us to look the part as well as be the part. What I realized was that one of the reasons the school under his leadership had so much respect from those on the outside that came in an observed was the way the teachers dressed. Our scores and student behaviors were no different from a typical Title I school in the hood of Memphis. Yet people were actually saying positive things about the school based upon how well the teachers dressed.

I even know of a colleague in higher ed that got a big promotion simply because our Chancellor thought he wore his suits well.

I get compliments from time to time. But again, clothes are not my number one priority. I will get the most affordable stuff and make it look right. Plus, I like to show my mentees from time to time that I can make it do what it do.

Some brothers I know have found their best bargains at thrift stores.

...just some interesting observations

I’m a bargain shopper as well. My wife got me into going to discount stores, shopping the sales at department stores or online and even the Goodwill to find items.

The only gear I really splurged on in the last year were Jordan’s. But I spent under 200 dollars total for the two pair I bought.

In this day in age, with all the options available of where to buy clothes, you don’t even have to spend a bunch of money to look good.

In this day in age, with all the options available of where to buy clothes, you don’t even have to spend a bunch of money to look good.

Do clothes make the person, or do the person make the clothes? Some people can buy clothes at a Walmart or a fire sale and look like a million dollars. And then some people can dress from Neiman Marcus and they don't, well, er, nevermind.

Do clothes make the person, or do the person make the clothes? Some people can buy clothes at a Walmart or a fire sale and look like a million dollars. And then some people can dress from Neiman Marcus and they don't, well, er, nevermind.
I trip out how some women can get the cheapest clothes and still look fly.

At 6-foot-2, Walmart doesn't provide clothes that fit me properly. LOL
I have that same problem too. I can find some good stuff but many times, they won't have my size.

First let me say this...the skinny suits have been around for years. The problem that I have is that men are taking it to the extreme. Some of these guys pants are tighter than their woman's pants.

I have a few suits that are slim in design. You have to have the right fit and cut. I tell guys to go to Express and buy a suit. In my present job I don't have to wear a suit anymore so I wear slacks with tennis shoes and nice shirts. Usually the tennis shoes I buy are extrmely comfortable and nice.

What I really hate are the guys who wear dress shoes with no socks. Their feet stink because the leather does not breath.

Men's clothes have never evolved but more of history repeating itself. My father wore slim suits in the 60s and 70s. The slacks has no break which meant you would see the socks. The reason I purchase suits from Express is because you can dress them down. I have worn a Malcolm X t shirt with an Express suit with some white tennis shoes and flipped back the next day with a shirt and tie.

So really in this day and age it's whatever floats your boat. The only thing with me is I hate men who wear tight clothes. I see thses buffed dudes walking around with tight ass dress shirts and slacks on. Their excuse is "they don't makie it in my size...." Nah man you gay and want other men to look at you. Heck women don't like men walking around in tight as clothes.

The other thing is all this pampering men are doing. Negro soap and water and some lotion. I see guys getting all these bottles of facial cleanser etc....SMH....the only cream I use on my face is bump stopper in the morning after I shower and at night I get those witch hazel wipes and after I shower I use those. Now men do need a tweezer set to get the hairbumps. Also I use a body shaver. I shave my pubic hair and under my arms. Let's be honest women who give head hate men with pubic hair. They enjoy more without the hair. Believe me. Also, shaving under your arms keeps you fresh longer. If you purchase a body shaver it took me four or five times to find the right one. Get one where the blades are rounded, If not you will cut yourself. Also get one that you can use in the shower. The water soothes it. After showering rub some witch hazel on your pubic area. Get some bumpstopper cream and rub on them.

White shirts....only wear a white shirt one time then get it cleaned. Always by at least 7. White shirts are only to be worn after 6 pm. They are considered formal. During work hours wear striped or blue shirts. I don't wear red, black, etc.....your socks should match your tie in some type of way or match your suit.

A man should get a haircut or line once a week No excuses...that should be in his budget. Also a man should shave his head every other day. Concerning head shaving I prefer at night in case you cut yourself.

Get a grooming kit and shave the nose hairs.

Concerning shoes get some shoe trees. These soak up moisture. Each time I purchase a pair of shoes or tennis shoes I get a pair. Also it is not healthy to wear the same shoes daily. Try to go at least 4 days without wearing the same shoe.

When you buy a suit purchase 5 shirts and 5 ties. No one remembers the suit but they will remember the tie.

Cut your freaking nails. A main should not be walking around with nails like he has on Lee Press on Nails. Cut those things.

Guys with beards....trim it up neat. If you can't grow a full beard cut it off. My beard does not connect so I keep a clean face. Also comb and brush your beard.

Go see a freaking dentist. Brush and floss your teeth at night and use night time mouthwash.

Always bruch before you put on clothes. Toothpaste has a whitener in it that if it falls on your clothes it will fade them

Stop spraying cologne on your clothes. If you are like me and you wear a shirt twice there is nothing worse than a shirt with three diffrent cologne smells on it. Spray it on your skin and it becomes part of your Ph balance throughout the day,.

Get a shoe shine kit and shine your shoes. Also wash your tennis shoes OFTEN!!!

First let me say this...the skinny suits have been around for years. The problem that I have is that men are taking it to the extreme. Some of these guys pants are tighter than their woman's pants.

I have a few suits that are slim in design. You have to have the right fit and cut. I tell guys to go to Express and buy a suit. In my present job I don't have to wear a suit anymore so I wear slacks with tennis shoes and nice shirts. Usually the tennis shoes I buy are extrmely comfortable and nice.

What I really hate are the guys who wear dress shoes with no socks. Their feet stink because the leather does not breath.

Men's clothes have never evolved but more of history repeating itself. My father wore slim suits in the 60s and 70s. The slacks has no break which meant you would see the socks. The reason I purchase suits from Express is because you can dress them down. I have worn a Malcolm X t shirt with an Express suit with some white tennis shoes and flipped back the next day with a shirt and tie.

So really in this day and age it's whatever floats your boat. The only thing with me is I hate men who wear tight clothes. I see thses buffed dudes walking around with tight ass dress shirts and slacks on. Their excuse is "they don't makie it in my size...." Nah man you gay and want other men to look at you. Heck women don't like men walking around in tight as clothes.

The other thing is all this pampering men are doing. Negro soap and water and some lotion. I see guys getting all these bottles of facial cleanser etc....SMH....the only cream I use on my face is bump stopper in the morning after I shower and at night I get those witch hazel wipes and after I shower I use those. Now men do need a tweezer set to get the hairbumps. Also I use a body shaver. I shave my pubic hair and under my arms. Let's be honest women who give head hate men with pubic hair. They enjoy more without the hair. Believe me. Also, shaving under your arms keeps you fresh longer. If you purchase a body shaver it took me four or five times to find the right one. Get one where the blades are rounded, If not you will cut yourself. Also get one that you can use in the shower. The water soothes it. After showering rub some witch hazel on your pubic area. Get some bumpstopper cream and rub on them.

White shirts....only wear a white shirt one time then get it cleaned. Always by at least 7. White shirts are only to be worn after 6 pm. They are considered formal. During work hours wear striped or blue shirts. I don't wear red, black, etc.....your socks should match your tie in some type of way or match your suit.

A man should get a haircut or line once a week No excuses...that should be in his budget. Also a man should shave his head every other day. Concerning head shaving I prefer at night in case you cut yourself.

Concerning shoes get some shoe trees. These soak up moisture. Each time I purchase a pair of shoes or tennis shoes I get a pair. Also it is not healthy to wear the same shoes daily. Try to go at least 4 days without wearing the same shoe.

When you buy a suit purchase 5 shirts and 5 ties. No one remembers the suit but they will remember the tie.

Cut your freaking nails. A main should not be walking around with nails like he has on Lee Press on Nails. Cut those things.

Guys with beards....trim it up neat. If you can't grow a full beard cut it off. My beard does not connect so I keep a clean face. Also comb and brush your beard.

Go see a freaking dentist. Brush and floss your teeth at night and use night time mouthwash.

Always bruch before you put on clothes. Toothpaste has a whitener in it that if it falls on your clothes it will fade them

Stop spraying cologne on your clothes. If you are like me and you wear a shirt twice there is nothing worse than a shirt with three diffrent cologne smells on it. Spray it on your skin and it becomes part of your Ph balance throughout the day,.

No-show socks

Buying five shirts and five ties for every suit is how you end up with a closet full of crap donated to Goodwill. How it happened to me.

I'm at a time in my life where less is more. I've found that I'm happier with fewer things, higher quality. Simpler and more satisfying to me.

Remember when I stated dress for your job. If you buy a suit with 5 ties and shirts that’s a month of Sundays. Understand the logic. How often do you buy suits? I don’t buy them often. The last time I did was over a year ago. Before that...almost 3 years ago.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I trip out how some women can get the cheapest clothes and still look fly.

I have that same problem too. I can find some good stuff but many times, they won't have my size.

Brothers can do the same. Get with your wife or lady and have her help you shop. I do it all the time.

Also what I do is go on Amazon and shop. Once I have my sizes it’s on. I purchased 4 Kenneth Cole slacks for $65 in a bundle once. I have 10 pair slacks that I rotate for work. When it’s cold I put on tights under them.

Idon’t believe in seasonal clothes unless it is a sweater or coat.

It's between itchy balls from new hair growth or your girl choking on your pubic hairs. If she has skills, she'll know when to stop, unless the balls are being worked on too. Same goes for men who like to munch those hairy cats. LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]
It's between itchy balls from new hair growth or your girl choking on your pubic hairs. If she has skills, she'll know when to stop, unless the balls are being worked on too. Same goes for men who like to munch those hairy cats. LOL!!!

Man I used to mess with Hispanic chick with hairy cat....I never went down on her.....being inside if her was like being in Mecca and Heaven at the same time. She had pretty feet....OMG!!!!!!

Man I used to mess with Hispanic chick with hairy cat....I never went down on her.....being inside if her was like being in Mecca and Heaven at the same time. She had pretty feet....OMG!!!!!!
[/QUOTE]

Most Latino women are extra hairy.

This is an interesting perspective. I didn't know that a white dress shirt is considered formal. Here is something I found:

This is an interesting perspective. I didn't know that a white dress shirt is considered formal. Here is something I found:

I used to follow Real Men Real Style on Youtube. He does have some good advice on what to wear, when to wear it, and how. One thing I never considered wearing, is the shirt "garter" or whatever they are called; to keep the shirts from rising up.

Brothers can do the same. Get with your wife or lady and have her help you shop. I do it all the time.

Also what I do is go on Amazon and shop. Once I have my sizes it’s on. I purchased 4 Kenneth Cole slacks for $65 in a bundle once. I have 10 pair slacks that I rotate for work. When it’s cold I put on tights under them.

Idon’t believe in seasonal clothes unless it is a sweater or coat.

One brother was putting other brothers down for ordering suits from this website. But not only do they look good for me, but the price is just right. I bought four of them and I mix them all up for casual wear.

Back