Fish and Spaghetti on Fridays

CEE DOG

Do black folks still eat fried fish and Spaghetti on Fridays? Growing up I remember mostly everyone would have fried fish on Friday, and sometimes Spaghetti with it. It seems like we have lost so many traditions chasing white suburban dreams. Man that fish use to be good too.

Do black folks still eat fried fish and Spaghetti on Fridays? Growing up I remember mostly everyone would have fried fish on Friday, and sometimes Spaghetti with it. It seems like we have lost so many traditions chasing white suburban dreams. Man that fish use to be good too.

LOL... Yes indeed. My Grandma still hook it up.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
It was something that seemed ritual for peeps that I had been around in my present city of Memphis, be it at functions and events or someone's home. In my own home, we did that on Friday's for a good minute, sometimes with Rotel. Eventually my own family and I just kinda grew out of it. My daughter doesn't care too much for spaghetti, my son doesn't care too much for fish, and due to some diabetic issues as of late, I try to stay away from anything fried as much as possible. It's a shame cause I really enjoyed fried whiting.

In fact, lots of peeps I know sold fish and spaghetti plates on the side. Such an easy way to make money in a city like Memphis.

But again at one time, that was the only thing we ate on Fridays.... #shrug

I think that was a MS Delta, Memphis area thing. I am from originally from South central MS. I never had heard of such even though my Mom was from the Delta, 60 miles south of Memphis, we didn't spend much time up there. Years later, one of my college classmates married someone from there, (a JSU alumni). I went by their house one Friday evening in Houston and she was cooking, fish and Spaghetti. she looked at me like I was crazy as I thought odd combination and had never ever ate that. Of course, after that, I found a reason to go by their place every Friday.

It's amazing that when we talk to each other we find out that we have so much in common. I have gotten into the habit of striking up conversations with our people when I travel. I've connected and reconnected with relatives and friends using this method. I've also been able to connect friends with relatives they didn't even know. It's a beautiful thing.

My mom always cooks spaghetti with catfish. My mother-in-law always cooks spaghetti and greens with fried catfish. Every church function that had a "fish fry" that I attended growing up had spaghetti included. I prefer whole catfish and just fries and jalapeno hush puppies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
We had it in Chicago. There was a lot of Mississippi folks there and they brought that with them.
I'm from Chicago and like you we did it, not every Friday, but mostly.
My ex's family were are born and raised here in Huntsville, Al; when I brought up fried fish and spaghetti, they looked at me like I committed a carnal sin. I was told spaghetti and fried fish sounds like a bad combination. Another lady I was talking to a few months ago, she's from place south of Huntsville and she had the same reaction as my ex. And yes these are both Black women!!! 🤣

I think black people have gotten so away from our traditions or stuff that was passed down to us that we don't realize how much we are alike. We take it for granted. I'm black and I'm proud. We are more alike then we realize.

Back