Financial Peace University

ThrowForSix

See the Excitement
I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey - "The Get out of Debt and Save your Money Guy"

I listen to him on the Radio and check out his TV show when I can. I recently brought his book Financial Peace. My debt snowball will have me debt free by december 08 and I'm practicing my peace puppies

have anyone attended his seminars? or read his books?

Jelli told me about Dave Ramsey... I read his most recent book and I listen to his radio show. I like Dave but I don't agree with the 'payoff smallest debt first' approach because I'd rather payoff the highest interest first. Otherwise I like his radio show but for TV, I prefer Suze Orman - she's more animated.

I've been debt free (sans the house) since March following the advice of Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey. :D :tup:

I'm a big fan. I have two of his books (Financial Peace and Total Money Makeover) and often listen to his show. I should be totally debt free (including the house) by December 2008.

I attended his Total Money Makeover and thoroughly enjoyed it! It's helped curtail alot of frivolous spending I do & helped me to attack my debt, invest, and save! Since going to the seminar, he sends out emails/newsletters & they're most helpful. :tup: I like the fact He incorporates Christian principles in his outlook on money management & life. I catch Suze when I can on tv or in a magazine at the Beauty Shop.

Ironically, I just received Dave's May newsletter:

http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/newsletters/company/052308.cfm?ectid=cnl0805_22

--------------
Dave's Thoughts on Gas Prices
Think gas prices are the biggest problem in your budget this summer? Find out what Dave thinks.
[Read Article Here]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keeping Your Kids From Becoming Summer Bums
A little work can make a BIG difference in your kids this summer.
[Read Article Here]
----------------
We Did It: No Longer Stressed Out by Debt
"I feel like I have won some sort of contest in life or at least am on top of things," Scott said.
[Read Article Here]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stupid Tax: Over $25,000 in Student Loan Interest!
"We're trying to put $800 a month into them, but even at that it will take over 5 years to pay them off!"
[Read Article Here]

Also Included in this Issue:

How to Get Your House Sold for Top Dollar
The Dos and Don'ts of House Hunting
Budgeting Tips for Single Moms
Dave's eBay Charity Auction
Quotes About - Car Payments
Shop Online - Current Specials

I listen to him on the way home from work almost every day. My brother bought me his "Total Money Makeover" book about 2 years ago and I haven't used a credit card since I read the book. Also as of now the only debt I have is a mortgage and if all goes as planned that should be paid off in less than 5 years.

I am in the process of doing my own debt-free management. I have Suzie's book on a computer filed somewhere. I'll dig it out. Relatively speaking, I don't have much debt, but what I do have I am ready to get rid of!

I am a big fan of the TV show. Have yet to read the books. Those who started to attack their debt before the collapse and who retain their jobs are going to be in a position to thrive during this long recession/depression. Assets will be in sale. I plan on purchasing some real estate.

I am officially debt free as of 10/11/08 and it feels good. I am now in the process of building my emergency fund up to 8 months then I plan to save for some long overdue renovations on my house.

I have been debt free for eight years and I didn't need a book or TV guy to tell me. I just used common sense and realized that I didn't need credit cards or expensive items to stand out. I needed cash to buy everything I need. Credit is for emergency use. Cash is for everything else. If I can't buy it with cash, that means I don't need it. I?ve never understood why it takes someone else to tell you what you need to do. Being honest with your self is the best thing that could ever happen.

I have been debt free for eight years and I didn't need a book or TV guy to tell me. I just used common sense and realized that I didn't need credit cards or expensive items to stand out. I needed cash to buy everything I need. Credit is for emergency use. Cash is for everything else. If I can't buy it with cash, that means I don't need it. I?ve never understood why it takes someone else to tell you what you need to do. Being honest with your self is the best thing that could ever happen.

Its not that I needed him to tell me what I needed to do. I just think his show is insightful and entertaining and better than most of the other junk that you hear on the radio. Also I use to think that credit cards were for emergencies (at least that is what my folks always told me), but after listening to his show I now believe that an "Emergency Fund" is for emergencies and I don't have any credit cards at all. Yes like you I believe that if I can't pay cash for it I don't need it, but I also believe that if you budget correctly and don't live above your means you won't have a use for credit cards at all and eventually you won't have to finance anything. Just sounded like you were talking down to those that enjoyed listening to Dave Ramsey so I decided to put in my .02.

Its not that I needed him to tell me what I needed to do. I just think his show is insightful and entertaining and better than most of the other junk that you hear on the radio. Also I use to think that credit cards were for emergencies (at least that is what my folks always told me), but after listening to his show I now believe that an "Emergency Fund" is for emergencies and I don't have any credit cards at all. Yes like you I believe that if I can't pay cash for it I don't need it, but I also believe that if you budget correctly and don't live above your means you won't have a use for credit cards at all and eventually you won't have to finance anything. Just sounded like you were talking down to those that enjoyed listening to Dave Ramsey so I decided to put in my .02.

Nall Ric, I'm not talking down. Just telling folks to use their common sense. You don't need folks to tell you that you are living out of your means. You don't need folks to tell you to save. You need to be honest with yourself that flexing will put you in debt. Wearing 200 jeans and having 700 car notes when you can't afford it is common sense. I guess some folks really can't understand it if it's not in a book. Mothers wit and common sense can take you a long way. Black folks will give 10 percent to church every week, but want save 10 percent for their own pockets. Just like we give 10 percent of our tides because we think it is the correct thing to do, we need to learn to pay your self first. Common. Not something a book can teach you. Now if yall got offended because of that. That's on yall. I just tell it like it is. Most folks can't handle the truth.

Nall Ric, I'm not talking down. Just telling folks to use their common sense. You don't need folks to tell you that you are living out of your means. You don't need folks to tell you to save. You need to be honest with yourself that flexing will put you in debt. Wearing 200 jeans and having 700 car notes when you can't afford it is common sense. I guess some folks really can't understand it if it's not in a book. Mothers wit and common sense can take you a long way. Black folks will give 10 percent to church every week, but want save 10 percent for their own pockets. Just like we give 10 percent of our tides because we think it is the correct thing to do, we need to learn to pay your self first. Common. Not something a book can teach you. Now if yall got offended because of that. That's on yall. I just tell it like it is. Most folks can't handle the truth.

Understood!!

What's so wrong with credit cards......if you use them properly or wisely? I have read and listened to several financial folks talk about debt and how to get out of it, and they often will talk about never using credit cards, but why does no one talk about using credit cards wisely? I guess asking people to have self control and to not live beyond their means or use common sense is asking too much........

Glad this is working for some of yall. But I am not putting all my cards away. When I want to make a purchase and best buy etc. can offer me 12-24 months no interest...I am gonna take it everytime.

I am officially debt free as of 10/11/08 and it feels good. I am now in the process of building my emergency fund up to 8 months then I plan to save for some long overdue renovations on my house.

Great ......

We went to see him this past saturday over at Reliant Arena.

Actually, all of those concepts are in the Book of Proverbs.

Glad this is working for some of yall. But I am not putting all my cards away. When I want to make a purchase and best buy etc. can offer me 12-24 months no interest...I am gonna take it everytime.

There's nothing wrong with that if you make sure you pay it off. The problem you have some people that don't pay it off and get hit with all those high interest charges. Some folks don't have self control on paying off their debt correctly and it becomes a never ending cycle.

I will be debt free in 16 months, if not earlier.

Back