Final SWAC Rankings

thegooddoctor

1 GSU - Ranked 4th in the nation but got out coached and out played in the Bayou Classic. To stop GSU you stop Bruce. Tigers don't have a running game. Will have problems with A&M but should prevail.

2. Alabama A&M - The bulldogs have big MO going for them along with Mathis and a stingy defense. Just a little offense and the Bulldogs could bring a championship to Huntsville. You know history tells us it's tough to beat a team twice during the same year. Bulldogs in a good position to win it all.

3. JSU - Hughes let them lose and the JSU Mafia let him lose. All eyes will be on who the next coach will be. Hope they pay the next coach better than they paid Hughes.

4. SU - Pete was right, he said they were gonna be tough when all his boys returned. Sorry Norfolk State it looks like Pete will be back and will be taking names in year 2003. I didn't realize that Doug has beaten Pete only once.

5. Alcorn - Faded in the end. Somes Braves faithful still want Thomas's scalp.

6. MVSU - Totten has done an outstanding job for Valley. The Delta Devils have gained everyones respect.

7. TSU - Coach Thomas states he will be back and will be a force to be reckoned with. We will see in 2003.

8. Alabama State - When the head coach car is vandalized by his former players it makes you wonder the type of personnel he is recruiting. Worse than that when you can't beat Tuskegee a division II school the AD needs to review the football program. By the way has the SWAC completed the APB investigation? Still waiting for the results Coach Cole?

9. APB - No comment. Is Coach Hardeman still in charge?

10 PVU - 2003 begins recruiting. Pantehers still two years away unless they use the JC route. Seems like they threw in the towel after it was announced they will once again be providing football scholarships.

Originally posted by thegooddoctor

3. JSU - Hughes let them lose and the JSU Mafia let him lose. All eyes will be on who the next coach will be. Hope they pay the next coach better than they paid Hughes.

SMH at how people are making an issue of how much we paid Hughes. Hughes got paid exactly what he bargained for. The same will be true fo the next coach. Why overpay when you don't have to?:confused:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

10 PVU - 2003 begins recruiting. Pantehers still two years away unless they use the JC route. Seems like they threw in the towel after it was announced they will once again be providing football scholarships.

That's probably accurate !

good doctor,

Don't think that Pete has forgotten how yall have been dissing him and his staff all season long. It ain't like he ain't been sending out feelers to other interested schools (such as Norfolk State and Virginia Union).

I've talked to a coach on your staff and Pete was pretty pissed at the attitude of some of your "supporters" who were "interviewing" a couple of GSU coaches for coordinator positions. Don't be surprised if Pete decides to take the AD/HC job at Norfolk State and leave SU after this last BC win.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
good doctor,

Don't think that Pete has forgotten how yall have been dissing him and his staff all season long. It ain't like he ain't been sending out feelers to other interested schools (such as Norfolk State and Virginia Union).

I've talked to a coach on your staff and Pete was pretty pissed at the attitude of some of your "supporters" who were "interviewing" a couple of GSU coaches for coordinator positions. Don't be surprised if Pete decides to take the AD/HC job at Norfolk State and leave SU after this last BC win.

Mike Bigg,
I would not be shocked. But if he left, he would not be leaving the cupboard bare. I had no issues with Pete. But I still think he needs to make some coaching changes. Like adding a QB coach and get a Strength and Conditioning coach. We miss Billy Long. But if Pete leaves, it isn't like we will not be able to replace him. I have said even before these last few down years that SU has to start thinking about who will replace Pete if he retires or quits. Actually I think he'll be back though. Some promises will be made to Pete with some backing and I don't think Pete is interested in being an AD. That aint his style. He would like more input, but Pete don't have the patience or like to politic enough to be an AD.
The Virginia Union job aint attractive. Plus they are D-2 and that would be a step back. NSU has a chance.

But I think Pete is excited about next year's squad. He know he has a running attack coming back and some good WRs that have experience coming back in Bridges, Joseph, Ard, Chris Davis, and of course James Vernon. Then the whole defense is back except Cooper, Hartman and Randy Williams(who may get another year). I mean he has Lenny Williams, Kevin Moffett, DeAngelo Lewis, Jabari Greene, Perry Davis and a host of folk coming back.So like I said the cupboard aint bare.

He has some talent returning. It will be interesting to see if he makes any coaching changes, especially some of the choices I have heard from folk around town who try to have influence. I think Pete deserves and has earned the right to name his own staff and coordinators.

I'm still happy about this season (although no true fan is ever happy about losing the BC) because it exceeded my realistic expectations. We had some new players emerge and our talent pool is pretty deep.

Although I think Bruce and Tramon emerged as real weapons this season, we need to move more to a balanced pro-style attack. Our smash mouth approach of last season with our deep strike passing offense was pretty tough to beat. It's been my observation that prolific and over emphasized passing offenses usually lead to extending playing time for your defense. I'm old school, but I just like pounding the opponent into submission and demoralizing them with the deep pass to rub it in.

He has some talent returning. It will be interesting to see if he makes any coaching changes, especially some of the choices I have heard from folk around town who try to have influence. I think Pete deserves and has earned the right to name his own staff and coordinators.

I'm still happy about this season (although no true fan is ever happy about losing the BC) because it exceeded my realistic expectations. We had some new players emerge and our talent pool is pretty deep.

Although I think Bruce and Tramon emerged as real weapons this season, we need to move more to a balanced pro-style attack. Our smash mouth approach of last season with our deep strike passing offense was pretty tough to beat. It's been my observation that prolific and over emphasized passing offenses usually lead to extending playing time for your defense. I'm old school, but I just like pounding the opponent into submission and demoralizing them with the deep pass to rub it in.

I agree with you MB. I like the old school pound it out to set up the pass. I think our OC realized we have a power running game and we need to set up the pass. But teams in the SWAC tend to get too pass happy which leads to no one having a 1000 yd rusher. That is sad. Next year we should give teams a heavy dose of Peoples and Newman. Miller will be back(man has he improved). We still need a scatback type to emerge. Hell I would use Ezra Landry in that capacity. We need to get him the ball as much as possible within reason. He is fearless. Pete has earned the right to bring in his own coaches. But we need a QB coach. Richard, Sharp and RIcks all have talent. But they need individual coaching. Look for a Juco or Freshman Qb to come in and push our returning QBs. Richard deserves to come back as the starter. But we better have someone ready to push him.

BTW,
GSU did overachieve. So you guys have to happy with your record. SU and GSU will both be strong next year. It might be some long Saturdays for both of our opponents next year. We just need to stay healthy.

Not trying to make an excuse, but didn't the GSU players seem to have footing problems on the turf. Our secondary people and linebackers overran a lot of stuff. Maybe it was just poor technique/angles on their parts that led to some of the missed tackles.

Not hyping one individual player, but Tramon Douglas has proven not to be a fluke. No matter who the opponent or how big the stage, he has really stepped up and delivered. Good hands, runs good routes, and reads defenses very well. Knows how to make himself "available" to Bruce.

You've probably noticed in some of my prior threads how I mentioned Lenny Williams (your all-swac corner). He didn't disappoint either in his performance saturday. A really good player...outside of GSU's Chris Brown he is the best defensive back in D1AA. Should get some all-american mention!

Oh well...We'll get yall next year!:redhot: :D

Although I think Bruce and Tramon emerged as real weapons this season, we need to move more to a balanced pro-style attack.

This would have been the case if Brad Hill was eligible to play this year. For some reason Doug and Coach Spears simply don't have a lot of confidence in our current backs. As a result, Bruce has become our running game. :smh:

Not trying to make an excuse, but didn't the GSU players seem to have footing problems on the turf. Our secondary people and linebackers overran a lot of stuff. Maybe it was just poor technique/angles on their parts that led to some of the missed tackles.

Not hyping one individual player, but Tramon Douglas has proven not to be a fluke. No matter who the opponent or how big the stage, he has really stepped up and delivered. Good hands, runs good routes, and reads defenses very well. Knows how to make himself "available" to Bruce.

You've probably noticed in some of my prior threads how I mentioned Lenny Williams (your all-swac corner). He didn't disappoint either in his performance saturday. A really good player...outside of GSU's Chris Brown he is the best defensive back in D1AA. Should get some all-american mention!

Oh well...We'll get yall next year!:redhot: :D

Yeah Lenny is the man. I am glad he has another year left. That kid has been starting every since he was a freshman. I remember we beat out the University of Arkansas to get him out of Lake Charles. I am sure Mc Neese wanted him too. He is headed to play on Sundays at this rate. He used to be kind of quiet acting on the field. I noticed at the games this year he has been getting more vocal on the field and showing some leadership.

BTW MB, CHECK YOUR PM

Let's Be For Real

Kool-AidK1 - Hughes pay is not an issue. But the JSU MAFIA is always talking about the high standards and expectations that is prevalent at JSU. You got Hughes on the cheap and you get what you pay for. It was obvious that when Hughes was hired he was not the first choice of many Jacksonians.

However, I must give the JSU administratiuon credit. Hughes was true blue JSU and desired a shot. He was given that opportunity, and did not produce satisfactorily. By being reassigned to another capacity the administration has handle the situation with dignity and respect toward someone who has given a lot to the program.

Mike Bigg - forget about suppoerters who are alledgedly meddling in the football program. Pete will make his own decisions regarding coordinators.

And yes the Jaguar Nation was disgruntled regarding the performance of the team the past 3 seasons. If pete can't stand the heat give it up. But if the supporters can't provide a decent field they surely can't tell him who to hire on his staff.

7. TSU - Coach Thomas states he will be back and will be a force to be reckoned with. We will see in 2003.

When did Thomas say he'll be a force to be reckoned with? I don't recall getting that press release along with any other alumni of Texas Southern. The last time he made a bold prediction like that he went 3 - 7 so why on Earth would he give another one? His job is safe, his wife is an Associate Vice President so he doesn't have to make any statements such as that.

Let's all keep in mind this is his opinion and it really doesn't matter what he says.;)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JROCK

Regarding why Alcorn was ranked below SU. Simple. Alcorn had to hang on to be SU. They were headed down hill. The lost to MVSU confirmed by position. They had shot their best shot and was going no where fast. The final games supported my view.

Loses to JSU and A&M were very predictable.

Back