FAMU's TV deal in jeopardy University's $7.5 million contract may be affected Univ..

Jafus (Thinker)

FAMU's TV deal in jeopardy
University's $7.5 million contract may be affectedUniversity's $7.5 million contract may be affected

By Heath A. Smith
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/living/education/higher_learning/7500977.htm

Frustrated by a perceived lack of cooperation from Florida A&M's athletic department and loss of revenue, Urban Broadcasting Company president Peggy Dodson has pulled the plug indefinitely on airing FAMU athletic events.

Dodson's power play could affect the five-year broadcasting contract FAMU has with UBC that is supposed to pay the university a total guarantee of $7.5 million.

Dodson claimed in a letter written to FAMU President Fred Gainous on Nov.30 that her company has lost a projected $1 million in profits because of the athletic department. That's on top of the estimated $1 million Dodson claimed UBC spent to broadcast six of FAMU's football games this past season.

"We are still willing to invest more money, but not under the present circumstances," Dodson wrote in the letter to Gainous. "The items in the MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) must be carried out in order for us to move forward. They are just a restatement of what is already in the agreement, but we felt we needed to move to another level of understanding with the athletic department, as they seem totally confused and unwilling to assist UBC in any efforts to make this deal work," stated Dodson in her letter to Gainous.

Dodson said the MOU outlined the more pertinent points of the distribution agreement so that both sides would have a clearer understanding of their contractual responsibilities. The MOU was supposed to be signed by Dodson and FAMU interim athletic director J.R.E. Lee. Lee never signed the agreement.

Dodson's frustration with FAMU is in sharp contrast to the excitement she expressed when the deal was celebrated in June at Lee Hall in pep-rally fashion with the Marching 100 on hand. Dodson heralded the broadcasting deal as a first for a historically black college or university and the only one of its kind for a Division I program outside of Notre Dame's exclusive television contract with NBC.

Problems arose, however, in the first game UBC broadcast - FAMU's season opener against Alabama State on Aug. 30. Fans complained about the poor reception, forcing Dodson to eventually switch production companies. UBC then pulled out of broadcasting FAMU's Nov.1 game against Hampton when the venue changed from San Francisco, Calif., to Hampton, Va.

Despite those setbacks, FAMU's relationship with UBC appeared fine until Bethune-Cookman refused to agree to permit the Florida Classic to be broadcast without FAMU guaranteeing UBC's stated rights fee.

UBC, which is based in Harlem, N.Y., has a five-year distribution agreement to broadcast selected FAMU athletic events, including football and basketball games. FAMU is guaranteed $1.5 million annually under the agreement for a total of $7.5 million but could receive as much as $24million over the full life of the contract.

In her letter to Gainous, Dodson also stated that:

? She would file a multi-million-dollar lawsuit against FAMU if it exercised a clause in the agreement that allows either party to back out of the contract with a prior 30-day notice.

? The 30-day cancellation clause needed to be modified.

? FAMU already has been in breach of the contract on more than one occasion.

? Potential sponsorship and distribution deals are being held up because FAMU has not released it 2004 football schedule to UBC.

? She has not been able to assist FAMU in marketing the football program's move to Division I-A because "of the turmoil that has existed within the athletic department and the problems it has caused UBC."

In a response to Dodson dated Dec.10, Gainous wrote that he was "surprised by what appears to be a threatening and inflammatory tone" in her letter.

Gainous also stated that FAMU had the right not to modify the 30-day cancellation clause and that Dodson should disregard the memorandum of understanding.

Gainous also mentioned a previous letter he wrote to Dodson on Dec.3 requesting a first-quarter accounting statement of UBC revenue, which according to the distribution agreement should have been delivered to FAMU by Dec.1. Dodson said Monday that a statement was being prepared and she expected it to be delivered to FAMU this week.

Gainous was unavailable for comment Monday to discuss FAMU's strained relationship with UBC, but Love Collins, vice president for university development, said FAMU expects UBC to follow through on its commitments.

"She (Dodson) certainly is entitled to her opinion," Collins said. "We just look forward to her meeting her specific performances as required by the contract."

Lee, who was the original point man on working out the deal with UBC, did not return messages left by the Tallahassee Democrat on Monday.

Despite the strong statements and concerns Dodson expressed in her letter, she said she does not regret entering into the agreement and thinks that any issues can be resolved.

"I still have great excitement about the deal," Dodson said. "I knew the first year was going to be difficult, and I don't regret it. It still has the possibility to be a mega deal. We just need to clear up the problems and misunderstandings."

From players to contracts, has anything gone right for FAMU since announcing they are moving to 1-A. Shat seems to be pilin up and rollin back downhill on them.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I first read about this on their board and couldn't be more saddened for the alumni.

I wish them all the best but please, please, please go in with a sound and solid plan, leaders and investors to take you to the next level.

This is sad. I bet certain posters over there are killing FAMU over this, and the FAMUans are being as defensive as ever. Except Cholly. I'll bet he gloating, too.

Lemme go over there and have a look see.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
Yea, Robber, I was like D@mn!!
As soon as I saw the thread title and who started, I knew it was over. Them Bison be hard on them Snakes.

Can these folks do anything right. They are worse than a certain administraion in the SWAC. The least you could do is have a respectable business relationship with the folks so they wont tell folks how uncooperative you are. This is ridiculous.

Originally posted by Robber
This is sad. I bet certain posters over there are killing FAMU over this, and the FAMUans are being as defensive as ever. Except Cholly. I'll bet he gloating, too.

Lemme go over there and have a look see.

:lmao:

Boy you stupid but can you blame them famu comes on pretty arrogant. :emlaugh:

Personally I think this is very bad for FAMU they are burning the bridge while they're still on it.The reason so many people are coming down on them is because of their arrogance.Some of their posters seem to think that FAMU is the only school in BCF to accomplish anything.When A&T did a study on the move certain posters acted as if they were crazy and NO HBCU SHOULD MAKE THE MOVE ALONE then all of a sudden when they decided to do it they became the most foward thinking progressive school in the land.I hope someone steps in and fixes this mess so that the move can be successful.

All I can say is even the snakes don't know what's going on. They sound like they are in a panic on everything from the tv deal to the weight room. Check out what they are saying............

FAMU FORUM

How about some perspective?

---------------------------

How FAMU made everyone in the MEAC mad at them

?The MEAC's Council of Chief Executive Officers could choose to sever the league's ties with FAMU in all sports if the school continues to pursue Division I-A membership in football, according to MEAC commissioner Dennis Thomas.?

Source: http://www.meacfans.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=013784#000016

Historical prospective is needed to properly consider the above statement.

[*]FAMU surprises the MEAC by announcing its intention to bolt ? causing everyone to scramble to replace them in 04.

[*]FAMU complains and blames everyone else, but themselves, when the NCAA says they cannot compete in the post season because they submitted their 1-A application.

[*]FAMU fails to sneak a bunch of 1-A quality transfers in behind the backs of the MEAC and the NCAA.

[*]FAMU cries victim when the MEAC and the NCAA say, ?hail funking no ? you have to follow the rules too dammit!? and scratches the transfers.

[*]FAMU tells NSU ?funk you? when the Spartans complain about a return game and had the nerve to get mad at the Spartans for asking.

[*]FAMU secures a TV contract but does not THINK about paying other MEAC schools for televising their teams, logos, stadium, etc.

[*]FAMU tries unsuccessfully to tell MEAC folks ?you should not get a TV cut? like the MEAC ADs and presidents would be stupid enough to believe them.

[*]FAMU talks ch!t about how they have out grown the MEAC and how 1-A is the only place for them to the news papers.

[*]FAMU is humiliated by Miami and decides to blame the referees not their ?better than everyone else? team.

[*]FAMU distributes its first TV cut check and initiates a series of bounces.

[*]FAMU falls to Howard and blames the referees and the game announcer.

[*]FAMU falls to Howard and decides to start a juvenile @ss fight to ?get them back?

[*]FAMU falls to A&T and blames the referees.

[*]FAMU falls to A&T and decides to start a juvenile @ss fight to ?get them back?

[*]FAMU accuses MEAC referees (and therefore also implicitly MEAC leaders) of carrying out a vendetta against FAMU.

[*]FAMU disrespectfully tries to PUBLICLY pimp slap Cookman despite the wildcats? Herculean attempts to keep the situation civil out of respect for their shared history.

[*]FAMU still has not paid anyone money from their TV contract.

[*]FAMU acts aloof when another florida school announces its intentions to go 1-A weeks before securing a spot in the 1-AA NCAAs

[*]FAMUs AD takes a cheap shot at the Sun Belt while implying that the rattlers have their PICK of any conference on the east coast.

[*]FAMU looks down its nose at all other MEAC schools for not having the same ?vision of 1-A greatness and easy money? as them

And now they can?t figure out why there is a movement afoot to kick them out of the MEAC in all sports.

smh

Rattler arrogance at its finest

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DIZAAAAAAAM FAMU ........................ any comment's before the "SWACPAGE" party starts on this.

Howard's layin' the "smack down" on FAMU .................. :D

Originally posted by jstate83
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DIZAAAAAAAM FAMU ........................ any comment's before the "SWACPAGE" party starts on this.

Howard's layin' the "smack down" on FAMU .................. :D

:lmao:

Back