FAMU board OKs I-A jump

PBLA,

No one on this board has provided any evidence or statistics showing that the move to D1A would be successful either.

In other words, everything that is posted on this topic are just opinions and assumptions for entertainment purposes only.

True, very true and that is exactly my point! So personally that is why I try not to come out posting that it will or will not work, it is or is not possible (feasible), that it is or is not fiancially sound. I will be the first to tell someone before I post and make hardline stance or decision on whether something will or will not be successful, that I would prefer to have a great deal more information before I make a stance one way or the other.

But many times poster in my opinion present an opinion and/or an assumption as if they are concrete and not for entertainment purpose. When they do I generally just usually propose that they opposite may occur and ask them to present a case why one or the other would be correct or more correct atleast.

I personaly am very careful about stating whether something will or will not work. Usually, I try suggest reason why something may or may not work. In my opinion there is a difference and I think that is important, because often times people read the post and may assume that something is fact that it is not clear that it is simply just an opinion or an assumption.

Further more, I disagree that everything posted on this topic are just opinions and assumptions for entertainment purposes only. Several times articles have been posted on this topic that present specific information about the move and many poster will post remarks stating that is not true or will not work not as an opinion or an assumption in regards to the article, but as fact in a challenging manner to those articles and members of the Florida A & M University. So, I respond accordingly because I think that is malicious , unfair and in my opinion sad.

FAMU is not the best HBCU to try this jump. It should be someone else.

Either way, I don't see it being successful. FAMU will be fodder and soon the pimp slapping of HBCUs will get carried over to football (from basketball - of course).

Again, this could be a multimillion dollar disaster. I sure hope someone RATIONALLY does a feasibility study.

PBLA,

Exactly...I dont know why he hasn't caught on to that yet. They're on the same level with the PWC D-IAA's now, yet their record against them is dismal. I'm sure if they move up they MIGHT get better recruits than them, but will they out-recruit them, but then instead of having dismal records against the Georgia Southerns, it'll be the Louisville's, Tulanes, etc. And on top of that, what will make FAMU any different than those D-IA teams that have moved up that aren't generating any revenue? You brag about being eligible for bowl games, but hasnt Tulane, Louisville and many others done that on a regular basis? Why are they STILL having problems generating revenue? Let's try this, the benefits of moving up as to where they are now are:
This is exactly what I am talking about. This post is so full of bogious assessments, untrue information and just plain full of misinformation that it is sad.

It would literally take someone 30 minutes to point out the mistakes and errors in many of assumptions and opinions posted in this post that the poster is presenting as if it is fact and as if the poster has some viewpoint as if this information is true. In my opinion that is malicious, unfair and in my opinion sad.

Remember this the Sports Board, not the Smack Board, nor Small Talk Board. It my understanding when this particular board was established that is was designated to provide reliable "information" for SWAC as well as other sports and conference that may some how relate the SWAC. Those article of course where posted for discussion, but we where posted to provide information and alot less Smack or Small in regards to your opinions on those post.

Unfortunately, I continue to find that this is not the case and for to long in my opinion we have let it go for various reasons. So now we continue to view posters posting information and opinion, with a hidden agenda or disguised in Smack and/or Small Talk. In my opinion that is not cool. If we are going to do that why have the various page designations.

But, in that aspect you may be right PBLA, it comes a point where you just leave it out there and let those whom come to this website to receive some of their information and do not want to take the time to verify such information and claims are freely able to do so, while others that are interesting in gaining valid more reliable information will take the time to do so.

You always talk about what COULD be pointed out thats wrong, but you NEVER DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats wrong in what I said, what PWC's is FAMU outrecruiting? What PWC's is FAMU beating? Are they suddently going to start beating them just because they've moved up? Like i've asked you MANY times, point out the errors and correct them instead of making baseless babble.

They will get some of that Florida talent that would have gone to the states larger schools. In time, they quite possibly can be competitive. Good for em'.

In theory

FAMU seems like there revenue stream is not coming from concreate sources naming rights come on they could even sell the naming rights to the Superdome for a reasonable fee a TV contract with a unknown TV network and there still the facilities issue. I'm a Southern alum our athlehtic budget is 6.6mil this year it is projected to be 8.1 next year we have new facilities under construction and and a stronger fan base than FAMU and we are still five years away from 1a I wish FAMU the best but I think they are moving to fast.

Unknown,

I am through with it. PBLA said let the opinions and assessments fly freely. If you are not aware of the part of your articles that are inaccurate or stretching the truth, then that is malicious, unfair and in my opinion really sad. As PBLA has stated, you have your opinion post freely your viewpoints without any regards to providing accurate content.

FAMU trustees approve move to Division I-A football

FAMU trustees approve move to Division I-A football

By Alan Schmadtke | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted June 26, 2003

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...2603jun26,0,2096123.story?coll=tf-main-sports

Presented with a three-year financial plan and news that big-name schools Oklahoma and Illinois have called looking for football games, Florida A&M's Board of Trustees on Tuesday gave its thumbs-up for the Rattlers to play Division I-A college football.

Trustees unanimously approved the plan during a regularly scheduled meeting in Tallahassee.

"We've seen that the model to be a successful program in I-AA doesn't mean success at the bank," said James Corbin, chairman of the trustees. "If you want to share in the financial rewards, you have to compete at the highest level. That's what we want to do."

FAMU already has petitioned the NCAA to move from Division I-AA to I-A, an application that makes it ineligible for the NCAA playoffs this fall. The school already has been ruled ineligible for the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference title.

Now it awaits I-A approval later this summer from college athletics' governing body. Trustees were told that the NCAA has never turned down a request from a school wanting to jump to I-A in football.

Interim Athletic Director John R.E. Lee III told trustees the school's athletic budget would be $9.1 million for 2003-04 and is planned to grow to $13.5 million by 2005-06, which the school hopes will be its first year in I-A.

Some of the increases will come from the school's new television contract with the Urban Broadcasting Company. The five-year deal guarantees FAMU $1.5 million a year and could be worth nearly $5 million annually.

Lee also projected revenues from ticket sales in all sports growing to $6 million.

Question (Tom Hamilton/Nathaniel Williams): Recently, Florida A&M, a historically black division 1AA program, announced they were pursuing 1A status and stated they would meet ALL 1A requirements, including the 5 1A home game requirement in 2004, which seems rather remarkable if so. Given that the Sun Belt has become a haven for schools that have made the recent transition from 1aa such as North Texas, UL Monroe, Troy State, Arkansas State, and others, has there been any discussions, in-depth or otherwise, between the Sun Belt and FAMU concerning admission as a member to the Sun Belt and what timetable are we looking at in seeing FAMU on Sun Belt schedules, and are we talking full membership for FAMU? If the answer(s) are no, then does the Sun Belt have ANY interest in adding FAMU, either as a football only member or as a full member to the Sun Belt? It would seem to me that with the full memberships given to Troy State and Idaho, the Sun Belt is almost at a point where adding more members becomes tough to do.

Commissioner Wright Waters: We have had no communication with FAMU.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
Unknown,

I am through with it. PBLA said let the opinions and assessments fly freely. If you are not aware of the part of your articles that are inaccurate or stretching the truth, then that is malicious, unfair and in my opinion really sad. As PBLA has stated, you have your opinion post freely your viewpoints without any regards to providing accurate content.

In other words, you cant.

Unknown,

In other words, you cant.

Nope! In other words, I won't. Talk to PBLA, this is under his suggestion. I don't care anymore about your comments. Let it rip brother, lit it rip. Post all the irrelavant, inaccurate, untrue, and malicous opinions you would like.

Back