Family Digest magazine is looking for the "50 Best Black College Athletes of Al

buckwheat

http://www.blacknews.com/enews/?http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?e103300053&f=1500000265409

50 Best Black College Athletes of All Time
Danville, CA - Family Digest magazine is looking for the "50 Best Black College Athletes of All Time" to publish in a feature in an upcoming issue.

To come up with the list of the best, we need the help of every Black college and university, every Black college graduate, and all those who love America's historically Black colleges and universities. Send us your nominees!

To submit your nominees, email or mail the following information to Family Digest Magazine:

Full name of athlete
Sex of athlete
Sport(s) played
Years played at the college
Statistics and awards that support the nomination(s)
Name of college/university
Athletic exploits after college (Olympics, professional, etc.)
Your name, telephone number and address

Email or mail your submission (you may nominate as many athletes as you think worthy) to:

best@familydigest.com

Best Athletes
c/o Family Digest Magazine
P.O. Box 3368
Danville, CA 94526

FAMILY DIGEST is Black America's number one relationship & family magazine. FAMILY DIGEST provides readers positive information on love & marriage, powerful insight for strengthening our families, secrets for raising happy children, strategies for bettering important relationships, expert advice for improving the health of every member of the family, delicious recipes that take soul food to new heights, interviews with African American celebrities who are dedicated to strengthening their families, discounts on rental cars, hotel rooms, plus so much more!

All of this is conveniently delivered to your home throughout the year. A current special subscription offer is two years (10 issues) for the low price of only $15.95. To subscribe, call 1-888-923-7673. Have your credit card ready.

CONTACT: Sheldon Dennis, (925) 838-4800 x15, best@familydigest.com

Without putting much thought into it, the list should have:

• Lou Brock
    Jerry Rice
    Doug Williams
    Willis Reed
    Walter Payton
    Steve McNair

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Add

Otis Taylor
Fred Newhouse
Mel Blount
Willie Lanier and
Wilma Rudolph.

They will need more than 50.

I would add...

Bobby Phills (R.I.P.)
Avery Johnson
Aeneas Williams
Rickie Weeks
Lindsey Hunter

Originally posted by pbla

Jackie Joyner Kersee - UCLA

Florence Griffith Joyner - Cal State - Northridge & UCLA

Gail Devers - UCLA

Great athletes, but they did not attend HBCU's.

Ok, here goes:

Jim Hines (Olympic gold medalist)

Robert Taylor (Olympic gold medalist)

Wilma Rudolph (Olympic gold medalist

Wyomia Tyus (Olympic gold medalist)

Ralph Boston (Olympic gold medalist)

Willie Davenport (Olympic gold medalist)

Rod Milburn (Olympic gold medalist)

Chandra Cheesebrough (Olympic gold medalist)

Bob Hayes (Olympic gold medalist)

Edwin Moses (Olympic god medalist)

I could go on and on and on. Like EB said, they will need more than 50.

Now I know all of my nominees are track and field athletes, but what the hell, track athletes need props too. :D

I would like to add Ernie "Big Cat" Ladd and Paul "Tank" Younger based on how they dominated the game during their collegiate days. Ladd's name is still being mentioned as the most dominant lineman to ever play at Grambling. Paul "Tank" Younger was not only a man among boys at GSU, but also was the last player ( I believe) to make All-Pro in the NFL on both sides of the ball. Actually, we Grambling folk need to start an email and/or letter writing campaign to get Tank placed in the NFL Hall of Fame. He was both a pioneer and great player during his time with the Los Angeles Rams. He later served as a front office guy with the San Diego Chargers!

Add to the above:

Bob "Butterbean" Love

Joe "747" Adams (from a pure college talent standpoint)

Joe Gilliam (same as above)

JSU's Short brothers

Sammy White

Danny Goodwin

Isiah "Butch" Robinson

Alabama State's Eddie Robinson

My focus in on what they did in college, and not how great they might have become afterwards.

Back