Facebook spies on us but not by recording our calls. Here's how the social network knows everything

Olde Hornet

Facebook spies on us but not by recording our calls. Here's how the social network knows everything

"They don't have to listen," she says. "For Facebook to use voice detection, to find keywords and then map them onto ad preferences, that’s Stone Age targeted advertising technology. There’s much more nefarious and evasive methods and much more invisible methods available to them."

She mentions location tracking as a case in point. This is the feature in which Facebook “can tell who you are and what you’ve recently purchased,” she says.

“Maybe you’re in an airport, lingering in front of an ad, and that signals to an advertiser that you might be interested in the product. Or you’re in a bar, watching a TV show and you get an ad for the TV show. Location services knows you’re in a bar where that show might be popular.”

I heard this former alphabet soup person on a radio talk show, who talked about things he doesn't do, like doesn't use his home for mail, he uses a po box. More security from businesses sending him junk mail , less chance of porch pirates, etc. He only uses cash if possible and credit not debit at a minimum. He doesn't do Alexa, Siri, or Google Home for anything. He doesn't do social media because of all the hidden tracking, and he turns off location tracking on his phone.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I heard this former alphabet soup person on a radio talk show, who talked about things he doesn't do, like doesn't use his home for mail, he uses a po box. More security from businesses sending him junk mail , less chance of porch pirates, etc. He only uses cash if possible and credit not debit at a minimum. He doesn't do Alexa, Siri, or Google Home for anything. He doesn't do social media because of all the hidden tracking, and he turns off location tracking on his phone.
Tracking is turned off on my phone and I do not use GPS or anything like that.

Here's why you probably shouldn't share your old senior photos on Facebook

In an act of social media solidarity with high school seniors who are finishing out their final semester at home, Facebook users are sharing their own senior photos with the hashtag #ClassOf2020.

It's a sweet sentiment, sure, but beware: Your post could help potential hackers crack into your private accounts, according to the Better Business Bureau, a nonprofit that tracks, among other things, internet scams.

Malevolent scammers can scan sites for this hashtag and find the name of your high school and your graduating year -- two common online security questions. And if your social media account isn't locked up, they can find out a lot more about you.

Hackers looking to break into your private accounts could use any piece of information you share in a viral challenge, the bureau said: Your favorite TV shows and the makes and models of all the cars you've owned are two examples.

Back