Everybody Check This Out!!!!!!!

Dr. Sweet NUPE

I know this thread is concerning religion but please do not move it to the Prayer Board.

I was reading the handbook on the Catholic Religion and I found some ludicrus and disturbing things.

1. Catholics have something called a "Mixed Marriages," in which a catholic person must get approval of the church to marry someone who is of another religion. Even if this person is a Christian. They must make promises to church to raise their children as Catholic. I find this just ridiculous.

2. The Catholic Religion prohibits its members from becoming MASONS. This really got me because I am a Mason and in order to become a member you must believe in a Supreme Being. It stated that because Freemasonary disagreed with the Catholic Church in England.

3. The Catholic church states that if a person who is catholic is "Sinfullly" flawed then they will be placed in purgatory. So what is the significance of Hell?

I am planning on reading the whole book. When I finish I'll post more about this confusing, yet intriging religion.

Why are you dredging this up???

Is there a reason for you doing this? Yes, Catholicism gets a bad rap - as do pretty much all religions. And they certainly are not perfect because it was developed by imperfect humans. But they worship the perfect God (the Father, Son, Holy Spirit) just like all Christians are called to do regardless of denomination. I may not agree with the details of their religion (although I used to be Catholic), but I know the foundation of their faith is in God and Jesus for their salvation. That's the most important fact.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
My reason for dredging this up

Originally posted by kevdawg
Is there a reason for you doing this?

The reason I decided to "dredge" this up was because my girlfriend is Catholic and things that I am ignorant about I have an urge to learn about.

My question to you is, why aren't you Catholic anymore? It's your choice to answer but since this is the "Round Table Discussion" I don't expect for this end up being a "smack" session.:)

No Smack

Point blank, I'm no longer Catholic because it didn't suit me. Spiritually that is. I started visiting a Baptist church where several other family members worshipped, and the whole atmosphere captured me more than my old church. The worship, the sermon, the spirit of God I felt when I was at the new church were awesome, and I had to change. Not saying people don't get that at the Catholic church, but it was as if God led me to that new place. I wouldn't have met the awesome pastor who helps me grow now if I was still at my old church.

Have you talked to your girlfriend about your concerns with the Catholic beliefs? Maybe she can offer some answers or direct you to someone else (priest, etc).

No Smack

Oh yea after reading that we talked about it. The difference is I have been exposed to all types of religions because of my travels. She feels we are going to raise the children through Catholicism yet I have found things after reading a small section of that book that make the Catholic religion sound almost like a cult. Of course I found things that affect me but when I finish reading the book I'll be sure to talk about it more.

Actually I read the dictionary of terms. I think that if I knew the understanding of some of the terms then I could have a better graps of what I was reading.

Don't forget...

The origin of the Catholic Church was a Roman Emperor and the pope is known as the "Vicar" of God. Behold the mother of modern Christianity who looks at her children as illegitimate, thus not as holy as she is.

sigh....

Every day there is a new diggup on the Catholic religion. So?
I am Catholic and I didn't even know about the "mixed marriages"....It doesn't mean that all churches are strictly active in this.
DO ALL OTHER RELIGIONS DO EVERYTHING BY THE BOOK? IF SO TELL ME ONE RELIGION THAT I CAN GO TO EVERY CHURCH AND FIND EVERY SINGLE THING EXACT...
Overseas, the churches are more strict on the "old school" guidelines. Actually, for those who assume, NOT ALL CATHOLIC SERVICES ARE HELD LIKE THE ONES ON TV!!!" I get so tired of people asking me do we only worship Mary, and do we sing like the choirs on television. There are Black Catholic churches that sing spiritual gospel, and even get down with traditional gospel every once in a while...Wouldn't it be wrong for me to ask Baptists, why they make noise in chuirch? Was that in the common book ...I have attended a Missionary Baptist Church that I have been spiritually blessed at school since my freshman year and it was and still is sometimes difficult to blend in. I've been looked at weird because I don't make noise like many others at times. I wasn't born into that, BUT like kevdawg said...IT MATTERS THAT WE ALL ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS OUR LORD AND SAVIOR....

As far as marrying outside my race, I don't even care what he is as long as he does the above statement... What is the big issue about what you want your children to be? someone explain.

Niceeeeeee

Originally posted by LadyLuck13

As far as marrying outside my race, I don't even care what he is as long as he does the above statement... What is the big issue about what you want your children to be? someone explain.

My girlfriend told me that I explained "Mixed Marriages" incorrectly, it has nothing to do with race. It means a marriage between someone who practices Catholism (sp) and someone who doesn't.

2. The Catholic Religion prohibits its members from becoming MASONS. This really got me because I am a Mason and in order to become a member you must believe in a Supreme Being. It stated that because Freemasonary disagreed with the Catholic Church in England.

I'M A MASON MYSELF, AND ONE OF MY FRIENDS TOLD ME ABOUT A BOOK CALLED "THE MASONIC LODGE" WRITTEN BY JOHN ANKERBERG AND JOHN WELDON WHO ARE BOTH WELL KNOWN CATHOLIC WRITERS. ANYWAY TO MAKE ALONG STORY SHORT, THE BOOK ARGUES THAT FREEMASONARY CONFLICTS CHRISTIAN FAITH, BUT NONE OF THIS IS PROVEN IN THE BOOK. AFTER READING IT I WAS LIKE WTF???

yes....

Dr. Nupe I know exactly what you were saying about Mixed Marriages, you explained it the same way in your first post......Looks like I was the one who meant to say outside my RELIGION instead of race.......
My point in the closing sentences discussed my interest in understanding what the big contraversy in marrying outside your religion is....Is it a concern that the two may not attend church together on Sundays or what?

Question for Masons.....
Hypothetical situation...If a man is a Mason and later on decides to become a Catholic, but still wants to be active within his lodge, would he be viewed negatively because of the view that some Catholics have against Masons?

NO. It's the individual's choice on how they deal with their relationship. The Catholic Church may be the one with the problem not the lodge.

Back