ESPN Events will present the inaugural Band of the Year National Championship - December 15 in Atlanta

I think NCAT really just moved forward, backwards, expanded, and contracted as a group using very simple formations with their instruments facing forward so the sound remained the same. You'd have to view side angle videos to see how off the lines were. Essentially, they didn't march. NCAT is the best HBCU marching band. Here's a PWI marching band. Something ain't right.

View: https://youtu.be/J7E0Bb-7xwU?si=0bwn3FGVQUIsKTr_
Inconsistency in judging then.

I don't think A&T is the best hbcu marching band. I think they did enough to beat JSU Friday night. Without the mistakes I think JSU probably would have won.

I agree with like that It's hard to adjudicate HBCU bands. People don't like FAMU on the field because we meet some traditional standard nor so they like bands like Su and JSU in the stands because of od traditional musical standards. It's always fun to talk about who's better and we probably take it more seriously than it really is but trying to measure with such disperate styles isn't going to leave a lot of people happy. That was a typical A&T show. I would stab myself in the eye if the 100 did a show like that every game.
I don't see how FAMU won any 5th quarter stand battle this year save for against PV when I reviewed it. On the field they've been solid. Maybe a show or two is "dry" but still fundamentally sound for marching band. Like with Grambling crowds are entertained by FAMU on the field. Same with the Ocean since their shows have greatly elevated and a lot of their roots have been returned. Maybe A&T's wow factor was what did it. Many of their shows are deliberately made to start with a good wow entrance, tone down for the sound and for auxiliary incorporated and then hit with a bang to the end. The format of JSU's show this time was good but as usual it was "all JSU" vs "who are we performing for" and JSU fans won't overcome fans who aren't bandheads and won't favor one or the other. But again...judges are very inconsistent.

How difficult are step 2 drills if 90% of all HBCU bands do them? With that said the 4 pinwheels that JSU did was extremely impressive and the degree of difficulty in A&Ts show was really low.
You're posing this in a question and making the same point I am. That's the inconsistency in band judging. If the step two is harder or does "more" than showing them ladies, then if it was me, the band that didn't "move" gets the lesser score unless it's flawless or more perfect than the band that moved. As it stands that drill with JSU had mistakes and there were a few mistakes on their in-fiekd blow down.

I don't see how FAMU won any 5th quarter stand battle this year save for against PV when I reviewed it. On the field they've been solid. Maybe a show or two is "dry" but still fundamentally sound for marching band. Like with Grambling crowds are entertained by FAMU on the field. Same with the Ocean since their shows have greatly elevated and a lot of their roots have been returned. Maybe A&T's wow factor was what did it. Many of their shows are deliberately made to start with a good wow entrance, tone down for the sound and for auxiliary incorporated and then hit with a bang to the end. The format of JSU's show this time was good but as usual it was "all JSU" vs "who are we performing for" and JSU fans won't overcome fans who aren't bandheads and won't favor one or the other. But again...judges are very inconsistent.

See that's where we differ. I think the only 5th that we took a clear L was the PV 5th and not because they sound better but they had some good arrangements with really fun moving parts and they just executed it better. That's how HBCU competitions should be judged. Who executed their style better.

I get what you're saying though because what you're saying about A&T is how I feel about Cookman.

See that's where we differ. I think the only 5th that we took a clear L was the PV 5th and not because they sound better but they had some good arrangements with really fun moving parts and they just executed it better. That's how HBCU competitions should be judged. Who executed their style better.

I get what you're saying though because what you're saying about A&T is how I feel about Cookman.
About Cookman...just say it. I'll say it. Hot cross buns all 5 quarters ain't a win. Ijs...

I have to disagree on the 5th against PV. FAMU sounded better after the first round. It was close but not a W for PV. I can see it being an L for FAMU but I'd disagree there.

Famu hasn’t won a 5th since entering the SWAC

Even you stand bands that only suit up to blast your bells during the 5th don't believe that.
This is why I had to breakaway from the cult of FAMU after high school. Y’all talk like PWI bands with that “all SWAC bands do is blast” stuff. It’s way more to SWAC bands than that.

FAMU sounds good majority of the time but yall are boring as hell. If you were in the ACC or SEC yall would have some W’s.

NSU, Tennessee State, NCAT, NCCU, etc don’t crank but they’re entertaining

You sound like one of those people that say "you talk white". Boring is subjective. Articulation, attacks and releases, phrasing, blend and balance, tone, pitch, etc not so much. People aren't stupid and they understand quality when they hear it. You call it boring but you also in the same breath respect that "we sound good the majority of the time". The 100 isn't above criticism but when we execute our style I could care less what you think. What's entertaining to you ain't entertaining to everybody. And at the end the the day our popularity let's us know that we are entertaining to someone *shrugs*

Last edited:
How difficult are step 2 drills if 90% of all HBCU bands do them? With that said the 4 pinwheels that JSU did was extremely impressive and the degree of difficulty in A&Ts show was really low.
...and without saying anything more, THIS is why JSU should have won.
When judging ANY competition, the level of difficulty should trump everything else. Bring your A-game. Don't come scared expecting to win. Except, that is what A&T did and they won.. lol BUT that is also why everyone thinks they didnt deserve it. Even that J-Sette routine was THEE TRUTH!

Back