Ernst confronted by Iowan constituent for not 'standing up' to Trump

Olde Hornet

Ernst confronted by Iowan constituent for not 'standing up' to Trump
:clap:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/04/politics/joni-ernst-iowa-trump-trnd/index.html

The voter, identified by Iowa Starting Line as Amy Haskins, raised concerns during a town hall in Templeton, Iowa, over Iowa farmers struggling from the US trade war with China and expressed frustration with Trump's focus on former Vice President Joe Biden and his son, Hunter Biden.
"How is that helping anybody?" Haskins said to some applause from the audience, adding later, "We get everything else except what we really need to know and what we really need (Trump) to do."

Haskins, a resident from Manning, Iowa, who identified herself as an independent voter, then asked Ernst, "Where is the line? When are you guys going to say enough and stand up and say, 'You know what? I'm not backing any of this.'"

"You still stand there silent. And your silence is supporting him in not standing up," she said to the Iowa senator. "You, yourself, served. You didn't pledge an oath to the President. You pledged it to our country, you pledged it to our Constitution. When are you guys going to start standing up and actually be there for us?"
Ernst later replied, "I can say 'yay, nay whatever'. The President is going to say what the President is going to do. It's up to us as members of Congress to continue working with our allies, making sure that we remain strong in the face of adversity."
Haskins volleyed back, mentioning Trump's attacks against US allies and praise for North Korea and Russia.
Ernst said she doesn't speak for Trump, which led Haskins to fire back, "I know you can't speak for him, but you can speak for yourself."
"And I do," Ernst replied. "And I have said this time and time again: North Korea, not our friend. Russia, not our friend. I have made that very, very clear and the President knows where I stand on those issues."
Haskins then asked the Iowa senator about her stance on the whistleblower, who has alleged that Trump pressured Ukraine to intervene in the 2020 election. Trump has maintained that he didn't do anything wrong.

Back