Emergency News - Alcorn State President

Re: Alcorn State President Died!!

I don't know if it's true, but he died of a heart attack. :nod: My prayers are with his family, and also the Alcorn family! :nod:

Jag-BR said:
I don't know if it's true, but he died of a heart attack. :nod: My prayers are with his family, and also the Alcorn family! :nod:
It's true.

Friends, peers remember leader

Alcorn State University president, the late Clinton Bristow Jr., during a meeting of the President's Council in Jackson in 2003.

Clinton Bristow Jr. was one of those men who looked you in the eye when he was talking to you, letting you know that you mattered.

Before answering questions, he usually paused to consider his response, not because he wanted to think of a good way to spin it, but because he wanted what he said to be important.

The people who knew him said Bristow brought passion to what he did, led his life with a keen sense of purpose and, above all, cared deeply about the students at Alcorn State University.

"He was a great role model for African-American men," said Alcorn's student government president Larry Duncan, 22, a senior. "He taught us to reach for the top so we can succeed."

He said Bristow's mantra was "ASU equals CEO" and referred to the university as the "Academic Resort."

Bristow, 57, an avid runner, died Saturday night while jogging on campus. He had been president of the 3,500-student university since 1995.

He was credited with improving the physical campus at Alcorn, upping the graduation rate and heavily recruiting nonblack students, a goal set forth by a complicated lawsuit settled a few years ago.

Recently retired Alcorn administrator Malvin Williams was named Sunday night as the university's interim president. He will serve until a permanent replacement is found.

But the focus Sunday was on Bristow.

"You know you have a really significant man in front of you," remembered James Clifton, chairman and CEO of Gallup Organization, a global public opinion polling firm. "He had one of the most charismatic personalities I have known in 10 years."

Clifton, whose organization was working with Bristow to create a leadership training program at Alcorn, described the university president as "loaded with charisma."

Lester Newman, president of Mississippi Valley State University, another historically black university, said he met Bristow more than 15 years ago when both were deans at other colleges.

He and others praised Bristow as a man who constantly worked to make his school a better one so its students could succeed.

"One of his strong suits at Alcorn was that he was deeply committed to move people into graduate school," Newman said. "Alcorn has started to develop a reputation for moving people to the next level."

Alpha Morris, the treasurer-elect of Alcorn's alumni association, said student achievement was Bristow's first priority, including after they'd left Alcorn.

He stressed the importance of students either entering the job market or going on to graduate and professional school, said Morris, also a sociology professor and chair of the social sciences department.

She said the alumni met with Bristow on Saturday and discussed some concerns they had about the university with him.

"He took notes," she said. "Those notes were going to become realities."

Perry Taylor, an 18-year-old sophomore, remembered how Bristow stayed up three days straight after Hurricane Katrina, making sure there was enough gas on campus so students could drive home. He made sure those who couldn't leave campus were OK, too.

Taylor said he and a couple of friends living in the dorm told Bristow they didn't feel comfortable staying there. Bristow allowed the men to stay in rooms in the campus police dorm for a few nights.

"That's why I respect the man," Taylor said.

Ronald Mason Jr., president of Jackson State University, said Bristow was in Jackson one day not long after Katrina.

Mason, whose parents were living with him at the time, said Bristow came by his house just to chat with Mason's parents.

"In fact, my mother was making him a pot of okra gumbo (when he died)," Mason said. " I was going to take it to him this week."

William B. DeLauder, former president of Delaware State University, said Bristow was developing a national reputation, especially at historically black colleges.

"He has a passion for students and a passion for being able to put in place programs that give students an opportunity to do well," he said.

Wiley Jones, director of special projects at Alcorn and a university employee for 41 years, remembered Bristow when he first came to the university.

"I couldn't have chosen anyone any better than him," Jones said. "He changed the landscape of the campus, beautified the campus. He had old structures, those that were no longer useful or eyesores, demolished and made into plazas."

Willie Meaux, president of the Meaux Washington Group, a firm that lobbies for black land grant institutions in Washington, D.C., said Bristow grew to love his adopted home, despite being from Chicago. "He loved Mississippi," he said. "I feel pain for Mississippi because this man loved your state."

Dwayne Ashley, CEO of the Thurgood Marshall Fund, said Bristow always looked on the bright side of things.

"He was by far one of the most positive human beings you could ever come across," he said. "No matter what you talked about, Dr. Bristow talked about the positive side about it."

Bristow had a daughter, Maya, attending graduate school out of state, said Lezli Baskerville, who described herself as "Alcorn's first lady," though she would neither confirm nor deny rumors that the two had recently been married.

Baskerville is president of the National Association of Equal Opportunity in Higher Education.

"He died in a place that he loved, among people he loved," Basker-ville said. "He died at the top of his game."

She said he coined the phrase "communiversity," and strengthened the bond between the school and the surrounding community.

She said he described his time at Alcorn as "among the richest experiences of his career."

A memorial service is tentatively scheduled for Friday.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

as an alcorn alum ... my prayers go out to the family. sincere thoughts go up for the school and sthe students, also.

Prayers up for the Bristow and Alcorn families.

Sorry to hear this Alcorn.

My prayers to the Dr Bristow's family, friends, enemies and the Alcorn St family as a whole. :(

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Bristow a few years ago. Very nice guy and seemed to have been a valuble asset to Alcorn. My condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to the Alcorn family and his immediate family.

ALCORNITES AND FANS...IN MEMORY OF DR. BRISTOW, THE ALUMNI IS ASKING THAT EVERYONE TURN ON THEIR HEADLIGHTS AND DISPLAY THEIR FLAGS IN THEIR WINDOWS UNTIL HIS REPASS....PASS THE WORD PLEASE....GO BRAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx for all of your condolences and prayers. It's still hard to believe that our great president has passed away. This man has done so much for our university. I'm still in a state of shock.

Where is the link for his obituary? Was he married, did he have children?

It is just so sad, he was a YOUNG guy and in shape. Wow, that's incredible, and unbelievable. But God's will be done and may he forever rest in peace. I read one of his scholarly papers, the brother was DEEP!

God bless to all Alcornites and friends and family.

Seeing Spots said:
Where is the link for his obituary? Was he married, did he have children?

It is just so sad, he was a YOUNG guy and in shape. Wow, that's incredible, and unbelievable. But God's will be done and may he forever rest in peace. I read one of his scholarly papers, the brother was DEEP!

God bless to all Alcornites and friends and family.
For more information on him check the links on the university website http://www.alcorn.edu.

Attorney Leslie Baskerville President and CEO of NAFEO gave special remarks tonight as the 1st Lady of Alcorn. That was a part of his life many never knew about, that he was married to her. She was very upbeat and very inspirational tonight at the Celebration program. He had one daughter by a previous marriage but Baskerville said it best "He had 3400 children that he looked after and over". Tonight was a great tribute to Dr. Bristow.

ASU2002 said:
For more information on him check the links on the university website http://www.alcorn.edu.

Attorney Leslie Baskerville President and CEO of NAFEO gave special remarks tonight as the 1st Lady of Alcorn. That was a part of his life many never knew about, that he was married to her. She was very upbeat and very inspirational tonight at the Celebration program. He had one daughter by a previous marriage but Baskerville said it best "He had 3400 children that he looked after and over". Tonight was a great tribute to Dr. Bristow.

Thanks for the info. I know it was a very emotional program. Y'all are in my prayers.

Back