Embracing Your Priorities: November 2018

96lioness

QUEEN LIONESS!!!
I’m in a ministry at my church called the Daughters of Zion Ministry. Our primary responsibility is to pray before each Worship service, that it be led and filled with the Holy Spirit. We pray for the hearts and minds of all in attendance to be in good standing, for unification among all in attendance, and for the atmosphere to be conducive to praise, worship, and glory to God and for souls to unite with Christ. We also pray for our pastor, that he continues to be led by God, to cling to his calling, and to hear and obey the voice of God, and not please people.

While this is the main assignment for the Daughters of Zion ministry, we too have other responsibilities. One is our weekly Morning Prayer and Meditation Conference Call, held every Wednesday at 6AM. Again, for the past 4 years, a small group of faithful members assemble via teleconference and pray. In addition to intercessory prayer and other prayer requests, 3 of us, however, are given a specific prayer focus.

I am given the responsibility to close our Wednesday morning prayer call, which includes a prayer focus. On November 7th, my prayer directive was:

The people of God become warriors, not wimps-Philippians 1:21

I’m one of those Believers that truly believe nothing happens by accident, and that there is a purpose for everything. I was given that prayer assignment on the 7th of November, and it was etched in my mind several days after. And now I know why.

I apologize for the extreme lateness of this month’s EYP. Bear with me as I talk about Philippians 1:17 and 1:21 and John Allen Chau.

For God I'll live! For God I'll die?

Some, not all, Christians/Believers present the appearance of eagerness when they claim their desire to profess and proclaim the Gospel of Christ. We’ve all heard many say, “Where He leads me, I will follow” or “I’ll go wherever God tells me to go”. But have we, as Christians/Believers, ever REALLLY considered the responsibilities behind these statements? Even still, if we have, are we TRULY prepared for the consequences that may come?

“For me to live is Christ”-Philippians 1:21a (KJV)

While live and breathe we, as God’s people, are to witness Jesus Christ, proclaim the Gospel of Christ. In our living, we are to imitate Jesus (1 Corinthians 11:1), pursue godliness (1 Peter 1:3) and the knowledge of Jesus (2 Peter 3:18). We should desire to know Jesus better and better each day. Not just know Biblical facts about Him, but know Him (the power of His resurrection, why He was a willing participant in His suffering-Philippians 3:10-11). We are to be ready and willing to give up anything or anyone that separate or prevent us from Jesus (Philippians 3:7-9). Simply put, as Christians/Believers, when we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, He becomes our primary focus and goal. He is now the center point of our mind, heart, body, and soul. Everything we do is for His glory!

“and to die is gain”-Philippians 1:21b (KJV)

While we live on this Earth, we belong to Christ. We have the benefits of His salvation and His P’s:
Peace
Protection
Provision
Pardon
Power

But even in our death, we still enjoy the benefits of our Savior. When we fall asleep to this world (die), we wake in His presence and now live with Him (2 Corinthians 5:8)! While we live, we present our bodies to God as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1), bearing the sufferings and persecutions that come with our profession and witness of the Gospel of Christ. Now, God honors our sacrifice; our obedience, our Worship and praise, our faith has now come to fruition, and our deaths honors God as we now live with forever with Jesus Christ! All that we lost on earth is gained when we enter Heaven. Which brings me to John Allen Chau.

We all know (or should know) Paul’s story. He was a converted disciple of Jesus Christ. He was imprisoned numerous times, beaten, stoned and left for dead, shipwrecked, snake-bitten, and eventually killed for his profession of the Gospel of Christ. We rarely hear of it today, but people are being persecuted and/or killed for their profession and witness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. But these are people who, contrary to the myth of “wanting to be a hero”, truly considered the cost of what it means to be a Christian/Believer. John Allen Chau considered the total cost of what it means to follow the example of Jesus. He, unfortunately like many Christians/Believers, didn’t just quote Scripture, but lived Scripture! He didn’t just quote Matthew 28:20, he lived it!

“But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defense of the Gospel”-Philippians 1:17 (KJV)

A lot of emphasis was put on Chau’s illegal visit rather on the reason behind his actions. More people were concerned of the probability of him giving/transmitting disease rather than his efforts to lead souls to Jesus Christ. But thankfully he, like other Christians/Believers, had greater understanding. When we (Christians/Believers) truly know the value of Jesus Christ, not only will we possess a true, pure, genuine desire to bring awareness of the way of God’s salvation, but we will be successfully AND adequately prepared to defend, justify, confirm the Gospel of Christ, even if it may cost us our lives! Those who truly know the value of Jesus have no problem readily acknowledging that it is far better to be in Heaven than to be in this world without Him.

I challenge any person who professes to be a Christian or Believer to do a deep self-examination of what it means to live a life for Jesus Christ. Consider the cost. Ask yourself, “Is Jesus worth me dying for?” Then ask yourself, “Did He really think I was worth dying for?”. Are you willing to stand up for what you believe in? Are you prepared to die for what Who you believe in? If not, ok. But remember to leave judgment to God as to why those who truly knew the value of Christ and their decision to sacrifice their life for Him.

As always, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back