Ellis spent lifetime molding JSU sports

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
April 13, 2002

Ellis spent lifetime molding JSU sports

By Henry Goolsby
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

The first time former Jackson State coach W.C. Gorden met T.B. Ellis, Gorden felt like he was standing in the presence of a genius.

Tellis Burthorne Ellis Jr., known to all as the Father of Athletics at JSU, was an expert in almost every facet of life. He is best known, though, as JSU's football, basketball and baseball coach and athletic director in a career that spanned 46 years.

Those who know will tell you that Ellis was to JSU what Eddie Robinson was to Grambling. The legendary Robinson is a Hall of Famer on everybody's ballot.

"Ellis did not get the credit that he so richly deserves," said Gorden, hired by Ellis to coach the JSU football team in 1977.

But next Friday, Ellis will receive the ultimate sports honor this state offers. He will be enshrined posthumously into the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame.

Ellis, who died at the age of 87 on March 14, 2000, will be inducted along with seven others at the Vicksburg Convention Center.

Mention Ellis, and Gorden talks on and on about how the coach/educator transformed the minds of JSU athletes during his career, which started prior to World War II.

Once during the late 1980s, Gorden learned first-hand that Ellis could tell whether a kick was good or bad without looking at it.

"He came over and watched us scrimmage," Gorden remembered. "He was looking at the scrimmage while our punter was off to the side kicking.

"The first one he kicked, Coach Ellis ? without even turning his back to look ? said, 'That's a very poor kick.' Then the boy punted another. Again, without looking, he said, 'That was much better.'

"Then the youngster punted the third time. (Ellis) said that's a gigantic punt.

"I looked back and the ball must have traveled 70 yards. I asked, 'How could you possibly know how the kick was without looking at it?'

"He said, 'I can tell from the sound of the ball contacting the foot.'

"He was way ahead of his time."

Ellis began his coaching career earning $120 per month, and part of that he would spend for first-aid supplies.

Much of his career, Ellis would leave the football field for a quick change of shoes on his way to the basketball court. From there, he'd go teach or handle some other school-related task.

Under Ellis' supervision, JSU athletic teams won 18 conference championships.

Ellis was responsible for the rise of the JSU track and field team to national prominence.

In 1975 and 1976, JSU's indoor track teams won the NAIA national championship. The 1977 outdoor team claimed the NAIA national title.

Ellis led JSU in joining the NAIA in 1954, and the SWAC and NCAA in 1957. JSU sports teams also expanded to 15 by the time he retired in 1977.

The Tigers, under Ellis, won SWAC crowns in football (5), baseball (3), basketball (1), golf (1), cross country (2), indoor track (2) and outdoor track (2).

Aside from sports, Ellis spent what was left of his time with his family.

"We'd get together on weekends and go fishing" said T.B. Ellis III, 56, a Jackson physician who also was a punter, quarterback and defensive back at JSU from 1961-65. "He loved to go fly-fishing.

"The biggest regret, I guess, is that dad is not here to accept this award.

"I'm sure that seeing (former JSU football star Verlon) Biggs inducted along with him would be the icing on the cake."

Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame

Class of 2002 inductees
Friday: Verlon Biggs

Today: T.B. Ellis Jr.

Sunday: Glynn Griffing

Monday: Carolyn Henry

Tuesday: Samye Johnson

Wednesday: Earl Leggett

Thursday: George Sekul

Friday: Ralph Smith

Induction: Friday, April 19, Vicksburg Convention Center

Back