Dr. Belton Retires from SU Presidency

Earle

As a son of Southen University, Dr. Ray Belton has decided to hang it up as SU's president, he announced today at the Board of Supervisors meeting. His announcement came one year before he actually vacates the position which gives SU sufficient time and opportunity to vett and
select a new competent and passionate administrator. Best wishes to Dr. & Mrs. Belton as they retire. I think Dr. Belton leaves the university in a better place than he found it. Congratulations again!

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
21 years as chief of Shreveport and the Baton Rouge campuses and many years before that as professor. I really hope SU takes the time to find a leader to bring the SU system to the next level ( continue enrollment and retention growth, online degree offering, New degrees specifically in the health,technology and increase funding and endowment.

21 years as chief of Shreveport and the Baton Rouge campuses and many years before that as professor. I really hope SU takes the time to find a leader to bring the SU system to the next level ( continue enrollment and retention growth, online degree offering, New degrees specifically in the health,technology and increase fundi
I am hearing that enrollment numbers for fall 2021 appear to be very impressive. The university has added new residential spaces to accommodate demand at off-campus locations as far away as the LSU area, 7 miles to the south..

Last edited:
I hope he does ... he has a lot of ties to the institution.

But the next president needs to be a strong visionary leader. It's time for SU to step it up
Dr. Belton leaves SU on solid financial footing and with a blueprint for future growth and development that is being executed with surgical precision and fierce urgency. As we speak, the campus is slowly but surely undergoing a physical transformation. In the past 12 months alone, more than 6 campus structures have been demolished with those spaces being either primed for redevelopment or turned into green spaces. To use Dr. Belton's own words, "the campus is poised to be transformed in its entirety on the Baton Rouge landmass," beginning with the Gateway Project, already underway at the campus main entrance; the New STEM complex, presently awaiting design approval from the state; the new Honors Dorm on the drawing board and to be built where East & West Halls were recently demolished; 750 new apartment spaces; new Student Life Center, to be built where present student union now sits; as well as sidewalk reconstructions, road overlays, parking upgrades, hvac upgrades, and land erosion stabilization. And these are just the start of this transformation; a slew of other new classroom construction is slated to follow. Enrollment has grown at a year over year rate of more than 12 percent over the past 3 years with the goal of reaching 20,000 students within the SU system by the year 2030. Fundrasing is at the highest levels we've seen in recent years, and our academic landscape, including research, is healthy, competitive, and growing. Now, what SU needs is a strong, visionary leader to take up the mantle and run with it.

Last edited:
Dr. Belton leaves SU on solid financial footing and with a blueprint for future growth and development that is being executed with surgical precision and fierce urgency. As we speak, the campus is slowly but surely undergoing a physical transformation. In the past 12 months alone, more than 6 campus structures have been demolished with those spaces being either primed for redevelopment or turned into green spaces. To use Dr. Belton's own words, "the campus is poised to be transformed in its entirety on the SU landmass," beginning with the Gateway Project, already underway at the campus entrance; the New STEM complex, presently awaiting the design approval; the new Honors Dorm on the drawing board and to be built where East & West Halls were recently demolished; 750 new apartment spaces; new Student Life Center, to be built where present student union now sits; as well as sidewalk reconstructions, road overlays, parking upgrades, hvac upgrades, and land erosion stabilization. These are just the start of this transformation; a slew of new classroom construction is slated to follow. Enrollment has grown at a year over year rate of more than 12 percent over the past 3 years with the goal of reaching 20,000 students within the SU system by the year 2030. Fundrasing is at the highest levels we've seen in recent years, and our academic landscape, including research, is healthy, competitive, and growing. Now, what SU needs is a strong, visionary leader to take up the mantle and run with it.
Great. This should definitely be broadcasted ... didn't know any of that was going on. I was trying to get my Louisiana cousin that just graduated to SU but he chose LSU which sucks! If he knews this maybe he would've reconsidered.

You also have the new Information Center(being built by the ROTC building's I think ) and the New innovation and entrepreneurship center for research being built by the Valdry Center for Philanthropy. The building will be a replica of the Center for Philanthropy in design

You also have the new Information Center(being built by the ROTC building's I think ) and the New innovation and entrepreneurship center for research being built by the Valdry Center for Philanthropy. The building will be a replica of the Center for Philanthro
Yes, I think the location of the new Innovation & Gateway Welcome Center has been moved from the area around the ROTC buildings to the space occupied by Jesse Owens Hall (old South Hall) that is about to be demolished and is long overdue. I think it makes sense to locate the "welcome center" near the front of the campus. Ground was broken a couple of months ago on the Center for Entreprenuership facility located right next door to the new Valdry Center for Philantrophy. I have re-post excerpts from the comments of the President and others as they relate to this topic from the Board of Supervisors meeting held May 21, 2021:
At the Southern University Board of Supervisors meeting today, May 21, 2021, President Belton, in his own words: "In addition to the anticipated {Gateway Project} work going on along Harding Blvd, our efforts are ongoing as is stipulated in the Strategic Plan for the Baton Rouge campus to transform the entirety of the campus." "I want to give and acknowledge the work of many to include members of our Board, and legislative committee, Senators Fields and Barrow, who have integrated many, if not all, of these projects into the capital outlay bill that includes a new college of business complex, funding to advance a new STEM complex, monies for roads, and, of course, dollars that would ultimately enable us to move forth with the Apartments as well as the Honors Dorm." "I should also say that the Foundation has been very diligent, if you will, in developing a strategy that would enable them to build up to 500 Freshmen dormitory rooms, starting where we anticipate closing on that loan within a couple of months." "I would just offer to this Board that we are not talking about a pipe dream here." "In all cases, we have identified resources to make these things happen." "And as I pointed out a couple of years ago, where we were guided by the aim to kind of mitigate some of the challenges we had at the university from years past, but we said at that time that we're in a position to start growing the university." "And by transforming the physical plant of the institution, that it is our hope that we would appeal to more students to join us here on the Southern University landmass." "We believe that what we're doing now is symptomatic of that strategy that is unfolding before your eyes." "We are very optimistic that these projects will come to fruition, and again, we call on the Board and express our appreciation for you support,"

Prior to the foregoing comments by the President, Maurice Pitts, Acting Facilities Planning Director, made these observations:
1. Lottie Anthony Hall demolished (will remain green space along with the old Infirmary space, creating an unobstructed view from Lake Kernan crosswalk to the Mississippi River)
2. Old Campus infirmary demolition underway (see above)
3. Demolition of Jesse Owens Hall (old South Hall) to begin soon (New Innovation and Gateway Welcome Center to rise in its place)
4. Demolition of Bethune & Washington halls (formerly East & West halls) to begin soon (New Honors Dorm to rise in its place)
5. New Student Life Center with movie theatre (to rise where existing Student Union stands) (temporary relocation to new spacious Honors Dorm and the Library)
6. Gateway Beautification Project underway along Harding Blvd.
7. New multi-million-dollar roads and stablization project underway to halt land erosion along river & throughout campus

Back