Downloading songs? (What is everyone doing now?)

BulldogM.Ed.23

Bulldog Fan/Supporter
When the RIAA start talking about lawsuits and websites like Audiogalaxy and Napster died, I stop downloading. What websites are still around where you download for a fee or not? Imesh? Winmx? ???

I still use KAZAA lite. I download an occasional song, movie, or video. But not as much as I used to. I wonder how those pay are doing? Are they economical.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Big brother is watching this thread. I have a good site...just got Johnson Family Vacation last night.

How about doing stuff the old fashioned way...Going to the authorized distributor and paying the full price. No copying, no viruses, no risks, and the artist (or estate) get what they deserve, too. :jump:

One argument that no one seems to mention a lot is that if an artist makes a good cd from top to bottom, most fans will buy their cd. However, we all know most of todays artist have just a few songs we like and most people don't want to buy a cd just to get one or two songs.

Yet another simple argument is that it just costs too much to buy a cd that costs a whole lot less to make. I used to work in a CD manufacturing plant and I promise you, the recording industry is getting over big time.....,

If someone releases an album worth buying i.e. D'Angelo, Maxwell, New Edition...someone the is going to have more than one hit song produced by the Neptunes and the rest garbage, then I'll buy it. Other than that...that crap is going on a CD R/RW disc and getting erased in about 4 months after it plays out i.e. Ying Yang Twins, Lil Jon, Alicia Keys, etc

The closest thing the industry has done to making things right is Itunes.

I gotta agree with the others...most of the time I only want a song or two and its not worth the whole CD. Plain and simple the industry is getting over. A study was done that appears to show that the industry really has not lost much due to file swapping.

I use iTunes. I like the fact that I can get songs from back in the day that I don't have on CD. Also, if I only want one song from a CD I can pay 99 cents for that one song.

I am really not that concerned about the "industry" getting over. I am concerned about the artists and the individual property rights of the contributors. I will be both an artist and contributor someday and I will want every cent that I negotiated. I have a 17 year-old who is like to accomplish that before I do. So, I direct him to pay the money because he's going to want to get paid someday.

We do reap what we sow. :uhoh:

silentrage said:
I use iTunes. I like the fact that I can get songs from back in the day that I don't have on CD. Also, if I only want one song from a CD I can pay 99 cents for that one song.
Hey! Someone in our midst who actually pays. I admire you ;)

Really, that's the way I want to go, but I want to be sure they have the stuff I want to hear. Are you pleased with the amount of more current artists they carry? Do you see much in gospel & jazz? If I go that route, it'll be for much more than today's R&B, so it's good to hear lots of ol school is on there too.

dacontinent said:
I am really not that concerned about the "industry" getting over. I am concerned about the artists and the individual property rights of the contributors. I will be both an artist and contributor someday and I will want every cent that I negotiated. I have a 17 year-old who is like to accomplish that before I do. So, I direct him to pay the money because he's going to want to get paid someday.

When it comes down to it, I am willing to give up 99cents. No problem........, :swink:

However, Kevdawg mentioned something else too, does ARES and all the other P2Ps have a good selection of files. Old school R&B, plenty of Gospel,Jazz, etc..,

dacontinent said:

I feel ya to an extent. Being a programmer and hoping to soon be releasing some software of my own you'd think I'd be concerned about software piracy in the same manner. But I'm not...I just think of ways to lock my stuff down rather than complaining about the idea as a whole....don't know why...

As far as selection on the p2p's I understand from other sources :ebrow: that you can find anthying you want.....well except Zydeco :bawling:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
kevdawg said:
Hey! Someone in our midst who actually pays. I admire you ;)

Really, that's the way I want to go, but I want to be sure they have the stuff I want to hear. Are you pleased with the amount of more current artists they carry? Do you see much in gospel & jazz? If I go that route, it'll be for much more than today's R&B, so it's good to hear lots of ol school is on there too.

Yes, I am pleased with what iTunes offeres. You have the option of browsing by genre (they have Inspirational listed which includes Gospel). I've browsed Inspirational and Jazz and I think they have a large amount there.

Ares is easy and simple.... never had a problem with it.... I did my research though... alot of programs have spyware.... go to downloads.com and click on mp3 or file sharing programs.... I have itunes also... but I aint payin to download nothing. So I transfer my ares songs to itunes because itunes playback is organized very good and songs are easy to find.

silentrage said:
Yes, I am pleased with what iTunes offeres. You have the option of browsing by genre (they have Inspirational listed which includes Gospel). I've browsed Inspirational and Jazz and I think they have a large amount there.
Cool! I think I'll have to give 'em a chance, after I let loose of a lil debt :shh:

dacontinent said:

Exactly. The industry ain't getting over. They have to pay for production costs, producers, distribution and employees. If they did not have the money to produce a top notch product, then the public will be saying this company or that company put out a "bootleg product " If you have high production values, then you have to pay for them.The average Joe Blow has no clue of what it takes to put out a nice product.

Easynews.com They have everything for about $10.00 a month. All types of music including mixtapes. Oh, and a lot of nakedtivity!!!!!!

I understand this is where a lot of the new movies are coming from.I was reading that somewhere...I'm trying to find BAADASSSSSS! Does anyone have it downloaded yet?

unknown1 said:
mIRC like i've been usin for the past 3 years.

I have a nephew in South Arkansas that is pretty big in that area. They have manage to develop their own website and charge people to download their songs.

I don't know why most artist wouldn't do this. You cut out so much expense this way.

I for one will not be buying a CD out the store NO MORE.

Back