Doug Williams--- 0f Love And Football

THAMES

Of love and football
Former Super Bowl MVP Doug Williams ties the knot -- Las Vegas style -- while hyping September's Silver Dollar Classic

www. blackvoices.com

By Phillip Thompson

July 26, 2002

LAS VEGAS -- Doug Williams is no stranger to pressure. He won a Super Bowl -- the first Black quarterback to do so -- and led his alma mater, Grambling State, to a Black College national championship as a head coach.

But a wedding's enough to rattle any man, even Williams, who stumbled over his vows, tickling his bride and filling the ceremony with a few laughs.

Williams and the former Dr. Lisa Judge tied the knot -- Vegas style -- at 12:20 p.m. PST Thursday during a nationally broadcast news conference to promote the inaugural Silver Dollar Classic.

The football game pits Williams' Tigers against Tennessee State Sept. 21 in the "City of Entertainment."

Williams was all about entertaining others Thursday afternoon. When a reporter asked him about his honeymoon plans shortly before the 10-minute ceremony, Williams quipped, "We've been honeymooning about the last two months. It's time for me to go to work now!"

Before the nuptials, Williams was relaxed and jovial with reporters, but turned serious when talking about the Tigers' prospects for this fall after losing 13 starters.

"Most of the people picked us to finish fourth (in the Southwestern Athletic Conference), which is not a bad spot. I like that," he said. "But usually when the heavyweight champion hasn't been knocked, he's still the champion.

"We haven't been knocked out yet; we're still undefeated. So we're going to wait and see what happens."

Williams called Grambling's matchup with the Tennessee State Tigers "one of the biggest rivalry's in Black College football the past few years."

Grambling finished 10-1 last season, avenging its only loss in the SWAC title game. Tennessee State's 8-3 campaign featured a sweep of its slate of Black College opponents.

"Even though they're the No. 1 team in the nation, we're still going to show up," Reese joked.

The game, billed as the "Cat Fight in the Desert," is scheduled to take place at 7:30 p.m. at Sam Boyd Stadium. Fans may attend a post-game gala as the party moves to the Vegas strip.

The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority expects the Classic to pump $12 million into the local economy as thousands of African-Americans and football fans converge on Sin City.

Classic organizers gave the news conference a bit of Vegas flair, decorating the room with red and silver balloons and two showgirls donning headresses, one in orange and the other in pink.

Even the bride-to-be got into the spirit, wearing a silver two-piece business suit for the wedding.

About 60 people attended the ceremony perfomed by Rev Mike Phelan of Victory Baptist Church in Las Vegas. Judge was flanked by maid of honor Lisa Harris. Williams' cousin and offensive coordinator Melvin Spears served as best man.

Judge, a dentist, will take Williams' last name.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may have been good Smack Board material, but it was a promoters dream when it comes to promoting the Silver Dollar Classic. Free national publicity plus the game will be $sold out. Plus the new bride ain't bad looking either. And no, you can't be like Doug Williams.

Welp, let me make reservations!

Oh my,,,, now this is going to be too good to miss. :cool: ,, and i'm stuck out here on the WC too?!!! :bawling: Ooooooooh myyyyyyyy,,,,,, :flippy: ,,, man I am ALL OVER this game! I'm there!! Just a hop and a skip from No. Cal. :cool: a minor roadie in dis mug.

Someone please tell me that both GSU and TNSU or at least one of them are bringing their bands!!!!!!
:jump:

Back