Don't play your rival on a neutral court!!

Media Guy

I know Alabama State was happy to play Alabama A&M on a neutral court. Is an extra dollar made worth a loss. In theory, it makes sense to play in a bigger arena to let more fans see the game. The reality is you need the STUDENTS at your home court. The Dawg Pound needs to be able to harass visiting players. The fans in general on your home court makes the opposing team uncomfortable.

Georgia Tech would never play Georgia at Phillips Arena or the Georgia Dome. It's important to play rival games at home especially conference games. Alabama State will not move their game from the Acadome to a neutral floor to make more money.

Bottom line: Keep your rival games on your home court and let the students be a part of the game.

Media Guy

The Hornets took the majority A&M crowd out of the game early by controlling the tempo. I am not sure playing in Elmore would have made a difference in the game. In the future, I hope this game is played at the VBC. It is far more comfortable than the on campus game (seats). But, maybe that's your point, State was too comfortable at the VBC

It wouldn't have mattered. I think the VBC is a great place to have that game. I wish they would continue to have it there.

I have to disagree with you Media Man on this one. I would much rather keep the game downtown than on campus. You havent had to go through what most students go through with an AAMU and Bama St game. You are with the media so you just go to the will call door and get in. If you were a student things would be different. You would have to get to the game at about 4:00 pm. Then sit in a HOT ASS GYM until the girls game started at 5:30. Then them wooden bleachers.. SMH... at the VBC I have my own individual chair and dont have to worry about anybody sqeezing in trying to get a good seat. The Hornets didnt have to experience "THE DAWGPOUND" but with the way AAMU is playing, I dont think the outcome of the game would have been affected. We lost the game on FREE THROWS... we are the 4th best free throw shootin team in America and we shot about 50% last night. Missed TWO free throws while we were down by 1 in the last 20 seconds. You cant do things like that and expect to win big games. WE STILL NEED AN ARENA... we cant recruit against Bama St when we are playing in Elmore and they are playing in the Acadome. I am patient though... when AAMU does get an arena, It will be the head and sholders above the rest in the SWAC. The longer we wait the better it will look.

Originally posted by DAHILL
I have to disagree with you Media Man on this one. I would much rather keep the game downtown than on campus. You havent had to go through what most students go through with an AAMU and Bama St game. You are with the media so you just go to the will call door and get in. If you were a student things would be different. You would have to get to the game at about 4:00 pm. Then sit in a HOT ASS GYM until the girls game started at 5:30.

Dahill,

I know how it is to get in the rival games. Prime example is Duke vs. Carolina. Students actually set up tents to have a chance to get a ticket. How would you like to live in a tent during the winter? You remember the year UNC had a whipstick with Jamison and Carter. Duke got UNC into VERY HOT Cameron Indoor Stadium and won the game. They would have never beat that UNC team on a neutral court. I'm not saying the VBC caused AAMU to lose that game but it did not help either. Auburn rose up and beat Alabama on their home court. You are very familiar with your home court. You know where the dead spots. The VBC was just a little to cozy for Alabama State. They did not have to worry about the fans or a hostile arena. I will say this again, ASU will not move their game vs. AAMU away from tha Acadome.

Mighty Hornet,

I know in the past GA and GA Tech played at the Omni. Jim Harrick (Georgia Coach) said he wants the game to remain on campus. He felt the students could make a difference in the game. He also felt that moving the game to a neutral site would put more non students in the arena. Coach Harrick wants the students to make Stegman Coliseum a hostile environment for opponents.

Bottom Line: It's just my two cents on the issue. AAMU still might have lost on their home court. Let the students create that hostile environment, instead of playing in a cozy arena where the other team feels comfortable.

Originally posted by Media Guy

I will say this again, ASU will not move their game vs. AAMU away from tha Acadome.

you cant compare the two... ASU has a NICE 8,000 seat arena... AAMU has an OLD 6,000 seat GYM. The Acadome is probably the best basketball facility in the Gump. Elmore on the other hand ISNT.

Originally posted by DAHILL

you cant compare the two... ASU has a NICE 8,000 seat arena... AAMU has an OLD 6,000 seat GYM. The Acadome is probably the best basketball facility in the Gump. Elmore on the other hand ISNT.

I have no fight with you there. Maybe the alums can get together and build a new facility. AAMU deserves a nice basketball arena.

Sounds like it was a good game. I wasn't able to attend the AAMU game, but I would love to see AAMU get an arena. I remember going to AAMU basketball games in Normal when I was a freshman (94) and a sophmore (95). I don't remember it being hot, but I do remember it being packed! One time I went, someone got into a fight at the top bacony above one of the exits. It was all good thought. ASU won just barely.

I also would love to see Bama State get a football stadium similar to AAMU's stadium.

1st off congrats to BAMA STATE on the victory...it was close at the end and yall pulled it out!!:cry:

there are plans for us to get a new arena!......finally:D

Originally posted by Killer Bees
Sounds like it was a good game. I wasn't able to attend the AAMU game, but I would love to see AAMU get an arena. I remember going to AAMU basketball games in Normal when I was a freshman (94) and a sophmore (95). I don't remember it being hot, but I do remember it being packed! One time I went, someone got into a fight at the top bacony above one of the exits. It was all good thought. ASU won just barely.

I also would love to see Bama State get a football stadium similar to AAMU's stadium.

the gym isnt hot because it is old... Pettaway turns the heat up so it will tire out the opposing team... AAMU basketball team usually practices in the heat so they are use to it. If or when AAMU gets a new arena, Pettaway probably would still turn the heat up.

Originally posted by Killer Bees

A&M has a nice stadium, but when Bama State gets a stadium, I hope we don't have the stands a mile and a half away from the field like A&M has. No smack folks.

Originally posted by Deuce

A&M has a nice stadium, but when Bama State gets a stadium, I hope we don't have the stands a mile and a half away from the field like A&M has. No smack folks.

No Smack taken... you arent the only one that feels that way. A track was suppose to be built around it, but it never happenned. AAMU's track is in HORRIBLE condition and is over almost 15 years old. It is time for a new track.

Building an arena at AAMU is not going to happened anytime soon. There are just too many people opposed to everything we do around here. Same folks are fighting to keep the stadium from being built and don't realize the stadium has been up for years. Giving up the home court advantage is something that I didn't like, but it was better for the fans attending the game.
The game will be played in the same place next year. State would not have won in Elmore, because the Dawgpound would have been on them.

Originally posted by MightyDog
Building an arena at AAMU is not going to happened anytime soon. There are just too many people opposed to everything we do around here. Same folks are fighting to keep the stadium from being built and don't realize the stadium has been up for years. Giving up the home court advantage is something that I didn't like, but it was better for the fans attending the game.
The game will be played in the same place next year. State would not have won in Elmore, because the Dawgpound would have been on them.

Very sad!!!

Back