Does your school award the 1AA maximum of 63 fb scholarships??

Roar Man

The reason I ask this question is, among the "new' proposals for NCAA IAA fb is one which will increase this limit to 70/75 with a "required" minium of 65. If passed any IAA school below the minium will be relegated to the (lower level) of 1AA amongst the non- scholarship schools. Has anyone else heard or read about this??

How would this (proposal) if passed affect the SWAC as a conference?? What other SWAC schools besides PV would be in danger of dropping down to the (proposed lower level) of 1AA fb??

RM.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I beleive that there are only 4-5 Swac schools that offer the max in scholarships for football. Looking at other D1AA schools, also would be greatly affected by this if it is passed. I don't think that it will pass because there are more schools that don't offer the max compared to those that do.

Originally posted by Roar Man
The reason I ask this question is, among the "new' proposals for NCAA IAA fb is one which will increase this limit to 70/75 with a "required" minium of 65. If passed any IAA school below the minium will be relegated to the (lower level) of 1AA amongst the non- scholarship schools. Has anyone else heard or read about this??

How would this (proposal) if passed affect the SWAC as a conference?? What other SWAC schools besides PV would be in danger of dropping down to the (proposed lower level) of 1AA fb??

RM.
I believe there are plenty of HBCU?s that would be negatively impacted be this change. Most black schools don?t award 63 Football Scholarships. You asked about PV, what are Mississippi Valley State, Morgan State. I don?t believe that FAMU awards 63. Most of the HBCU?s don?t award that many scholarships.

My question is which HBCu?s award 63 Football Scholarships?

From what I know, Texas Southern (recently), Jackson, Grambling, AAMU, Alabama State and Southern all allot the maxiumum. It shows on the field. PV will offer them but that will not happen until the $10 million is raised.

This will definitely impact a lot of programs. I agree a limit needs to be created... maybe 50... 65 seems steep.

I am all for the 75, but it will take more that me do donate funds back to my athletic program. To borrow from School Daze, ??we need to give back to our schools, like the Notre Dames, The Duke and The Browns??

What is the point of all of this?? While I do agree that a minimum should be established, why are they raising the maximum? The minimum needs to be at least a few higher than the D2 max (BTW, what is the D2 max??). It appears that the only ends to this is to make 1-AA more competitive in an effort to lure some of the current 1-A's back to 1-AA. This will also push some 1-AA's back to D2. The last report that I PERSONALLY heard about JSU is that we don't offer the max. I think we offer 50. That was a few years ago when I heard this though.

If this happens, we must also add to the number of women scholarships. The biggest concern that I have is that most 1-AA schools already don't make any money so why would this committee want to make things more expensive. The only way this will work is to push some of the already-haves down to 1-AA and push the 1-AA have-nots into D2.

See you black folks should not have been talking about forming a 1-A conference.

Originally posted by momof2ym
When are they supposed to rule on this?

It is supposed to come up for a vote at the next NCAA meeting, April 8-9th, less than a month from now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the point of all of this?? While I do agree that a minimum should be established, why are they raising the maximum? The minimum needs to be at least a few higher than the D2 max (BTW, what is the D2 max??). It appears that the only ends to this is to make 1-AA more competitive in an effort to lure some of the current 1-A's back to 1-AA. This will also push some 1-AA's back to D2. The last report that I PERSONALLY heard about JSU is that we don't offer the max. I think we offer 50. That was a few years ago when I heard this though.

If this happens, we must also add to the number of women scholarships. The biggest concern that I have is that most 1-AA schools already don't make any money so why would this committee want to make things more expensive. The only way this will work is to push some of the already-haves down to 1-AA and push the 1-AA have-nots into D2.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the plan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See you black folks should not have been talking about forming a 1-A conference.

TP,

That might have been said it jest, but, that's the same thing I've been thinking. I think they would have settled for only one HBCU (ASU) in the 1A club, but when TnSTATE sent it's AD to the SWAC meeting touting it's two tier (1A/1AA) plan, I think that's when they (NCAA) decided the HBCU's were getting a little to uppity and would put a stop to it.:redhot:

Back