Does removing the Confederate statues change anything?

CEE DOG

Does removing those statues change anything? Are we hiding from history or is it time for them to go?

Does removing those statues change anything? Are we hiding from history or is it time for them to go?

Removing statues aren't necessarily hiding history. Don't think anyone will forget Robert E. Lee or any similar figure, as their lives were well-documented. Removing them, though, is an indication that such racist people should not be revered or celebrated, which is the reason statues and monuments are erected in the first place.

Until this country makes all objects reflecting the confederacy illegal it means nothing. Nazi symbols are illegal in Germany. If citizens or states attempt to do what the confederates did in the present day they would be dead or in jail. Also, at the end of the day confederate states wanted to maintain slavery. That was the basis of the Civil War.

Imagine a group of people attacking a military base with militarized weaponry. That is what confederates did at the time. Imagine soldiers leaving the U.S. Armed Forces and taking with them tanks, fighter jets, weaponry, and ships. Then going utilizing them against the U.S. Military because they want to keep black people enslaved.

Now tell me....why the fuck does this country allow anything from the confederacy to be flown.

Fuck them and fuck their bitch ass confederate soldiers.

This country was built off the backs of black slaves; the Native Americans were stripped of land along with the Mexicans. California, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona belonged to the Mexicans. Until we as a country look at history from a full perspective taking a few statues down really don't mean a hill of beans as the old folks say.

Side Note: I still believe we should take them down.

Hell let's go a little deeper...West Monroe High School within the last 10 year just changed their mascot from Colonel Reb. This is a public school where there would be games where there were folks with Rebel Flags cheering black football players. SMH....there are states with the rebel flag on it presently....SMH. Yet, where are the legislators asking for those to be removed?

Show me a confederate soldiers grave and I will piss on it.

For me, I get satisfaction out of "confederate sympathizers" getting pissed off and looking powerless. But when all is said and done, the real oppression is happening in our schools, in our justice system and in our communities. A statue is just a representation of a belief system, but the biggest representation of white supremacy currently resides in the White House. So personally, it does my heart good, but it doesn't do any good for Black Americans on an aggregate level.

Right now in Tampa, FL, they are trying to raise private money to tear down a statue. Hillsborough County said they need to come up with $140,000. So far, the group spearheading that campaign has raised $12,000. I can think of at least ten places where that money could be of better service directly to Black youth in Tampa, FL.

150 years after the Civil War, this country is still dealing with individuals who want to enslave Black people and divide the country. The country should have placed an iron fist rule over the South immediately after the Civil War and made sure nothing of the Confederacy remained. Like General George S. Patton once said after WWII about the Russians, "take care of them now or deal with them later." Ironically, the country is dealing with both (Communist and Confederate sympathizers) and they seemed to have merged forces with Donald Trump in the WH.

Last edited:
Here are two high schools named after confederate leaders. And we wonder why some Black folks are so confused about Confederate monuments.

What's really sad is that around the the time S.C. removed the confederate flag, legislators/governor here (Mtgy.) quickly wrote, passed and signed into law legislation making it illegal to remove statues or change the names of these schools. They can't agrree on anything that really matters but got this done in a couple days.

In B'ham, the mayor and the city are being sued by the atty. general for putting plywood around a statue last night.

Also, the country did a good job with the denazification of Germany. The only problem, the country didn't do the same within and now it's dealing with not only Confederate and Communist sympathizers, but Nazi sympathizers as well, with a fool in the WH who see all three past losers as his base support.

With Donald Trump in the WH, it's like watching a scene from Blazing Saddles with his supporters.

Last edited:
What's really sad is that around the the time S.C. removed the confederate flag, legislators/governor here (Mtgy.) quickly wrote, passed and signed into law legislation making it illegal to remove statues or change the names of these schools. They can't agrree on anything that really matters but got this done in a couple days.

In B'ham, the mayor and the city are being sued by the atty. general for putting plywood around a statue last night.

They quickly passed that legislation right after New Orleans started the removal of its Confederate monuments.

But Lee himself never wanted such monuments built.

“I think it wiser,” the retired military leader wrote about a proposed Gettysburg memorial in 1869, “…not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/robert-e-lee-opposed-confederate-monuments/

Damn you beat me to it. When Lee surrendered he literally took his saddle off his horse because he thought he had to give up his horse. Some history books noted that Black soldiers were there and stared at him harshly. It was at that point that he realized by looking at the anger in their faces that the decision to leave the U.S. Military and join the confederacy was a mistake.

One of the soldiers wrote in memoir that he wanted to kill Lee at that moment.

You do realize Maryland was a major port to bring in slaves right. Especially Annapolis.
Yes, I am aware of that fact! In fact once upon a time I spent countless hours in the MS Department of History and Archives doing genealogical research on my family and finally found them in the 1870 census, the fact that the women of the house when questioned told the census taker that both her mother and father were born in Maryland really gave me a sunken moment of pause when I saw that! I knew exactly what it meant and how he got there. My point was that Maryland was a border state and did not take up arms against the Union.

Last edited:
Yes, I am aware of that fact! In fact once upon a time I spent countless hours in the MS Department of History and Archives doing genealogical research on my family and finally found them in the 1870 census, the fact that the women of the house when questioned told the census taker that her father was born in Maryland really gave me a sunken moment of pause when I saw that! I knew exactly what it meant and how he got there. My point was that Maryland was a border state and did not take up arms against the Union.

Research the Baltimore City Riot of 1861....folks in Baltimore were anti-war and did not want to fight the south...that's enough right there to explain why there are monuments there.

No. It does not change a thing. It won't change the history books or any future project that talks about it.

They can put all those statues in a museum that discusses that history.

Back