Does an arse whipping make you a good frat or soror?

MsJag4Jag

If you have not pledged anything, I'm not talking to you...but your comments are welcome!

Do you think getting the doo-doo knocked off your arse makes you a better frat or soror than someone who did everything you did EXCEPT get beat?

Sorry MsEvans4Life...but I didn't pledge. I never understood how that developed Brother/Sisterhood?
ne_nau.gif

The answer to your question is "Hell No!", but of course, pledging is not as cut and dry as somebody simply getting beat down...there is a LOT more to it.

Those who HAVE pledged know what I'm talking about, and I'll just leave it at that...:cool:

Nnnny,

Well "the LOT" is the part that is most memorable and lasting. The beating ...well... I have yet to understand it's purpose.

Hell, if you get your azz whooped, that would be memorable too, but that point is moot! :p

People ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN automatically think of getting beat when someone mentions "pledging". The sad part is that some people on the inside think the same way. :(

Alum:

My sentiments exactly! :D

Being able to "take a blow" does not mean that you are gonna do work for your organization. It only means that you can "take a blow"! :)

But like I said before...it's more to it than that! Contrary to popular opinion...PLEDGING AND HAZING are NOT the same thing, even though you quite often find one with the other.
I could explain, but I'm not going to...:cool:

But I never attempted to discredit your point. :)

I personally feel that a Potential NEEDS to go through SOMETHING (whatever that may be...POINT BLANK!!!

When you actually have to WORK to attain something, you tend to appreciate it more, and strive to uphold it....

Well, I'm a person from the outside looking in and I understand the "lot" of the situation, but when that "lot" turns into beatings, alcohol poisoning, or pure devistation, I can't help but to questioned it. I remember a smart fella from MI, entered the same time I did. During our sophomore year, he pledge...er... one of the popular fraternities... They literally sent this guy to the hospital. The dramatization he experienced. Immortal sexual acts!!! How in da L is this promoting brotherhood????

The most impressive big brothers were the ones who made you think. In addition, during the pledge period, several big brothers held study hall for 3 to four hours each night before pledging or our training started. The frat was concerned about maintaining the highest average on campus. During the pledge period and after the pledge period, these bothers made sure you were leaders in the classroom.

The ones I don'tcare too much for today are the ones who were so in love with the fraternity and are not active today.

Originally posted by BluBlood
How in da L is this promoting brotherhood????

So who said that it DOES?????

*Playing Devil's Advocate*

But being that you ARE on "the OUTSIDE looking IN", that's ALL that you would "see" or attach to the entire process. That's not saying that the beatdown was justified or anything, but...

Plus, how can you judge the masses by one act????
That's not cool...:)

Always the Devil's Advocate :)

I'm not judging the masses! Where did I state I was judging the masses? I'm questioning acts such as the aforementioned. When I ask people why did you pledge, the first thing out of their mouths..."To promote Brother/Sisterhood." And for the ones who share a lil of their experiences with me, I continue to have questions.

But when you asked them why, they GAVE you their reason!!!
What???? Can't they STILL achieve that same brotherhood/sisterhood???

See, that helps prove my point. Being that you are on the outside, it appears as if your only perception of membership in one of these organizations is the "initiation" aspect, then you're being extremely short-sighted.
I can attest that "TRUE pledging begins AFTER you get in!!!"
You can't discredit all those good things goes on after the fact.

In reality, "pledging" is only a small aspect of being in a BGLO. The BIG PICTURE is a lot more extensive than you're giving credit it:).

Most people don't attain membership just to "pledge"...they go through what they go through in order to be come members of the organization. The iniation is simply a formality. ;)

Do you feel yet? :D

Ntelekt, I'm aware of the Big Picture, my question is to those who only join for those reasons. I remember a girl on my floor, stating the anticipation of getting a beat down, she could wait! WTF??? I have always been aware of the "Big Picture". I perfectly understand what you are saying.

Here Here!!

Originally posted by MightyDog
The most impressive big brothers were the ones who made you think. In addition, during the pledge period, several big brothers held study hall for 3 to four hours each night before pledging or our training started. The frat was concerned about maintaining the highest average on campus. During the pledge period and after the pledge period, these bothers made sure you were leaders in the classroom.

The ones I don'tcare too much for today are the ones who were so in love with the fraternity and are not active today.

I second that!

First, I am in a Greek organization. I pledged before hazing was a popular term. I have never hit a pledgee. I never agreed with that but I decide to accept it to become a member of my Fraternity.<BR>I think that we have to separate something in this conversation. There is the (theoretically) legitament hazing and there is just plain injuring someone. I have seen some big brothers that were just taking free shots because they could be hit back. I had a big brother like that, I finally got fed up and when he hit me one time to many I hit him back. No one said anything because everyone knew he went way to far. There is no place for stuff like that. <br> However the supposed legitament reason for hazing is to make sure someone is dedicated to the organiztion and is "encouraged" to do what they are supposed to or "sufficiently punished" if they don't. To see if someone is dedicated, you have to put thru something hard and demanding. The question is how do you push someone to that limit? I can use my 2 grandmothers as an example. Both loved thier grandchildren and wanted us to do right. One grandmother never spanked me or said a foul word to me. If you did something wrong, she would politely say something nice that would make you feel lower than a dog. You would then do the right thing. My other grandmother would call you a name that implied your parents were not married when you were born and then beat the hell out of you and anyone with you when you messed up (her belt was named Conswello). They each had thier way of getting the same message to you. Pledging is the same. I had some big bothers that hit and some did not, but they all had the same goal (minus the one I mentioned above).<br> So which way is better?
The bottom line is you just can't tell who is going to be a good member in advance, not matter how you do it. But i will tell you one thing. Every greek has lost good potential members because of hazing and every greek has let in members that were not good members despite beating the hell out of them along the way.<br><br>I agree with Mighty Dog, the best brothers make you think.<br> So my answer to your question is NO. But it sure gets rid of a lot of people that ain't serious and it gets rid of a few that are.

Lewis you are right, I was hit with a coat hanger. That was the most pain I had ever felt in my life. I told the Big Brother if you ever touch me again I will Kill you. No one said a word and this was doing pledging. Since joining I will not tolerate any abuse in my present. It was reporting during our last graduate intake program that hazing had occured. I was not present but I asked in the meeting if it was true. I even asked the new brothers if they had been hazed. I am talking about grown men. They all denied it on both sizes. It is amazing how some men will still take this type of abuse.

Mighty Hornet, I know the difference between the smack page and the round table discussion.<br><br>Mighty Dog, some feel that they were not "Made right" unless they subject themselves to this. They will not have any "War Stories" to tell. To me it is sad. Impress me by doing some community projects, help some kids, visit some senior citzens. Taking a beatdown doesn't impress me at all.

Originally posted by BluBlood
Ntelekt, I'm aware of the Big Picture, my question is to those who only join for those reasons. I remember a girl on my floor, stating the anticipation of getting a beat down, she could wait! WTF??? I have always been aware of the "Big Picture". I perfectly understand what you are saying.
NO !!!!I PLEDGED "AKA" ALMOST 10 YEARS AGO AND I NEVER ONCE WAS TOUCHED BY A BIG SISTER. NOW WHEN IT CAME TO MY TURN TO BE BIG SISTER I DID NOT TOUCH ANYONE BUT I DID SEE SEVERAL SORROR HIT PLEDGEES AND I FELT BAD ABOUT IT.BUT I COULDN'T BLOW MY CHANCES OF DROPPING OR GETTING KICKED OFF LINE. YES I KNOW THAT MADE ME JUST AS BAD AS THEM. BUT NOW, I URGE YOU TO SPEAK OUT BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE MY PRIORITIES IN ORDER I SAW SISTERS
BEING ABUSED TO FULLEST AND I DID NOTHING....BUT TODAY WHEN GO TO MEETING AND LOOK AT PLEDGING LINES I'M ALWAYS ASKED TO SPEAK TO THE LINE AND THATS THE FIRST THING THAT I SPEAK ON "DON'T TAKE IT ..NO MATTER WHAT DON'T
TAKE IT'. I DON'T THANK HITTING AN ADULT CAN CHANGE THEM.;) ;) ;) ;)

Back