Do Meal Kits Provide Great Taste Along

Olde Hornet

Has anyone tried these?

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2016/06/02/meal-kits-gunst

Boxed meal delivery companies seem to be taking the country by storm. There are dozens of them, following the same scenario. You’re sent a box full of ingredients and the recipes you need to make one, two or three meals; all you supply are the salt, pepper and oil. Some of these companies offer organic or natural foods, but there are big differences between them.

So, I decided to try out a few of these boxed meals. And, I’ll admit, I was really ready to hate them. I adore cooking. I love shopping for seasonal, fresh ingredients. I love putting simple homemade meals on my family table (it’s been my life’s work for close to 40 years).

I was truly caught off-guard by the quality and ease of some of these boxed meals. The good ones introduced me to new flavors and a new technique or two, and the bad ones … well, they tasted like airline food from the 80’s.

Blue Apron

Chef’d

Fresh Direct

Personally, I try to be in complete control of what goes in my food. I just take a few hours on Sunday meal prep. I normally am able to cook enough to make it until Thursday at least. Sometimes Fridays becomes tough. I see a lot of these companies popping up. I do think they are better than doing sodium laced frozen dinners.

Back