DL Hughley Checks Mo'Nique Over Dispute: You Are The Problem

I started not to comment on this one because I always cringe when two or more influential Blacks are having a virtual war of words that is on display for others to see. Anyhow....in spite of their accomplishments, I have issues with both of them.

I thought once Monique got that Oscar, she was on her way. I never watched, nor did I want to see "Precious." Just not my kinda movie. Yet I thought she might evolve and expand. However, at this point to me, Monique is just toxic as L. She's put so many others on blast with personal grudges and issues that I wouldn't want anything to do with her. You just can't make it far in life carrying things the way she has. She is definitely the type that I would keep my distance from if I were in that business. #sheesh

I have much respect for D.L. and how he came up from wearing Cross Color shirts as he hosted BET Comedy Central to appearing in suits, building his brand, having his own sitcom, CNN show, and current afternoon radio show, among other things. I mean, talk about a brother that started from the bottom and worked his way up. That's what I love most about him. I had a close female friend that thought the world of him, met him on several occasions, and was such a fanatic (RIP V'Cakes). If she were still here, I'd pick her brain on why sometimes D.L. holds unnecessary grudges with certain people as well. I couldn't understand why he called out and picked on Ice Cube the way he did during the last Presidential Campaign unless behind the scenes he was being used as a political pawn. There are a few other notables that I've wonder why he would unnecessarily put them on blast as well. Anyhow, I still admire so much how he has established his brand. When someone is on a certain level, somethings that an enemy throws does not warrant any type or attention.

With all that being said, I just didn't feel any comeback towards Monique was necessary based on D.L.'s current worth in that business.

Anyhow, this is just #anothermansopinion #shrug

Last edited:
I think DL is clearly in the wrong on this one too.

Monique had a signed contract. A valid signed contract and DL undermined her because his pride wouldn't let her headline the show. If he felt that way, then he shouldn't have signed the contract in the first place.

But, noooo. He had to produce an unsigned contract written in his favor (which means absolutely nothing). Knowing he had no leg to stand on, he went to "look at the order on the tickets". Which - again - means absolutely nothing. Anybody who has organized, promoted and hosted events can tell you how easy it is to switch the order of names on tickets. I've changed dates, venues, artists, acts, and printed whole new batches of tickets. It's just part of hosting events.

Lately, DL has been very messy and problematic. To me, the worst thing about this situation is DL trying to make Monique look crazy after he knows he pulled the rug from under her.

This is not about male vs. female. This is about right or wrong.

And, in this case, DL is wrong.
I think the promoters at fault. I don't blame DL. Monique should have talked to the promoters about her issue, not air things out on stage. She is making herself look crazy. I wouldn't want to work with her. She throws people under the bus.

She isn't even all that funny to me in my opinion. All she did was talk about penis, or being fat.

Regina King and Voletta Davis each won a Oscar. But, you don't see them bad mouthing people in public. Because, they understand the game.

I

Monique is full of shit. She lied talking about she was just joking with DL when she and her husband did that live. She wasn't joking, she was "BIG mad". Then she had the nerve to talk about he was being too sensitive.

DL didn't lie about anything he said. That wasn't the place for that. Why not just say the promoters breached the contract and not perform? She still didn't headline. DL showed way more class than she did.

DL‘s representatives have their shat together which is why he was the headliner on the day of the show. A promoter would never risk being unable to do business with UTA. They can easily never work with Monique’s reps ever again.

The only power Monique has is her wit which she uses rightly or wrongly but that won’t win her much other than a small sliver of public opinion. What it loses however is key. In my opinion, she needs her reps to have influence and they have very little. So, she gets shorted.

Please help me with these takes.

If Monique's contract had her listed as the headliner is she not within her right not to perform? Could she not sue the promoter for breach of contract for using DL as the headliner?

If she is so big and deserving of the headliner status, why let the promoters punk her?

How does DL punk her when he's not the promoter? And if he is able to punk her does that not mean that she is not as big and bad as she thought she was?

She calls this man a coward on stage in front of all these people when she, according to DL, never attempted to talk to him about this issue before she went on stage? I still have not heard anywhere that she said she went to him, you know like 2 professional adults, about a business disagreement before taking it to the world ( in middle school they call it conflict resolution).

Last edited:

Why are you so hurt by Monique calling DL a coward? That's one of the things that used to bug me about this board. People get all up in arms about someone "calling names". Are we men or what? That stuff should have stopped hurting in kindergarten with "sticks and stones might break my bones ...." Are you really that sensitive? Do you think DL should be? Most of his "comedy" is making fun of people in the audience. He has few real jokes. Why should he be able to dish it out, but not take it?
I just don't understand how you got that out of what I posted. It was about handling the situation like two professional adults and not like elementary school children ( middle school is normally 6 - 8 where I'm from). She wasn't playing, she meant every word.
Still, the bottom line is Monique had a signed contract. DL's version was not signed. DL undermined her to change the order of the show.
Did she have the contract with DL? Was not the decision in the promoters hands about the order? Seem to me that she should be going afterthe promoters to get her money.
Those are the facts.

I presume she and her husband let DL punk her because she didn't want to be blackballed in the industry more than she already is.
I agree with you that she could have handled it better.

But, that doesn't absolve DL from the underhanded BS he pulled.

And ... yes ... I believe she should sue. Sue them if for no reason than to send a message.
I agree that DL should have to answer if he did dirty stuff to her.

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by NBC

Back