Digital Channel for HBCU Sports?

ohslax61

Does anyone know of anything in the near future that will cover all HBCU Sports? I would love a chanel that showed SWAC/MEAC/SIAC/CIAA, and other HBCU Sports. Almost like a black ESPN.

@2kool now if the conferences worked out something with, let's say, TV One, or BET (which I doubt because they're owned by Viacom and sports hasn't been in that channel's model for about 15 years) ... then we can do something...

Also, conferences would have to work around existing deals for broadcasting (national and regional).

@2kool now if the conferences worked out something with, let's say, TV One, or BET (which I doubt because they're owned by Viacom and sports hasn't been in that channel's model for about 15 years) ... then we can do something...

Also, conferences would have to work around existing deals for broadcasting (national and regional).

The only thing I see happening is negotiating more games from ESPN or schools negotiating regional deals like Texas Southern did with Root Sports.

Im honestly surprised no other schools have worked out agreements with their local Raycom station. Just about every SWAC school has a Raycom TV station in their backyard. There's some opportunity there.

BET I wouldn't even worry about lol. There would have to be a big uptick in demand for them to even consider it

Now you got TVOne (as you said), Aspire, Root, Bounce, Cox, etc. that are probably more realistic that could possibly carry games that ESPN (4-5 football games and 3-4 basketball games on ESPNU) doesn't cover. I'm still gonna be stuck on why we (SDN) don't have a "Game of the Week" for football and basketball.

Plus the MEAC still doesn't have their own digital network (at least to my knowledge). Think they would need to get one off the ground first then maybe the SWAC/MEAC can pool their resources together for a HBCU Network (on the digital side)

Although it's only online and showcases only one HBCU (Tennessee State), the Ohio Valley has an online digital network w/games of the week,etc in Football and Basketball.

The only thing I see happening is negotiating more games from ESPN or schools negotiating regional deals like Texas Southern did with Root Sports.

Prairie View was on Root Sports last season also, but both of those schools are not paid directly for that time.

I would love for us to showcase our product. But the smart thing to do would be to showcase our big games/ rivalries. I don't want to see a SU vs MVSU..

Although it's only online and showcases only one HBCU (Tennessee State), the Ohio Valley has an online digital network w/games of the week,etc in Football and Basketball.

The OVC invested $2 million into making that happen. You can stream their network on Roku plus they also have an app.

Last year the OVC launched a channel for the OVC Digital Network on the Roku Streaming Player, giving viewers an easier option to watch the network directly on their television sets. Roku is a series of digital media player set-top boxes manufactured by Roku, Inc. that provide over-the-top content in the form of channels via a wired or Wi-Fi connection. In 2014, Roku streamed over 3 billion hours of content, up 72% from the prior year, and ended the year with about 7 million monthly active accounts. Roku currently offers a variety of streaming set-top boxes, streaming sticks and a co-branded Roku smart television. Last year nearly 4,000 Roku users subscribed (for free) to the OVC Digital Network channel.

http://www.ovcsports.com/news/2016/8/9/GEN_0809164856.aspx

Someone brought up on here why the SWAC hasn't set up a channel on Roku that would make it easier to stream games for more sports outside of football and basketball.

COX YurView, ESPN3 To Air MEAC Track Championship Live Saturday Afternoon
For the first time in conference history, the afternoon session of the 2017 MEAC Indoor Track & Field Championship finals will be nationally televised on YurView at 1 p.m. EST with broadcast veteran Charlie Neal calling the action from Landover, Md. In addition to the live television coverage, the championship will also be available on MEACSports.com, ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app, which can be found on mobile devices.
http://www.meacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20800&ATCLID=211484490

it can be done but....

Yeah I don't see any reason why all 4 Conferences could not pool funding to digitally stream all there sports for a subscription.

The fact that you create your own channel and stream content free and we still don't have it is telling of the lack of progressive thinking in Conference leadership.

The fact that you create your own channel and stream content free and we still don't have it is telling of the lack of progressive thinking in Conference leadership.

The SWAC has their own channel and streams sports for free. Production quality wise it is better than the OVC

Most agree that it is not properly utilized compared to the way the OVC uses their network

If you have each team upload a stream of their home events on the Digital Channel it won't cost anything but cameras, minimum dollars for standard production, and they can utilize students to announce for Stipend. If HS programs can do it, the SWAC can.

Streams have to meet a certain quality to go that route...camera angles, quality of bandwidth, etc. comes into play as everything would have to be branded as one. Alot of streams are simple one-man operations but if you even think about going TV quality you better be ready to spend for quality. an ESPN3 feed is a legit TV feed just for Internet.

@Kenn Rashad are the conference financials from 2015-16 out yet? I'd like to see if the profit/loss numbers are still in the loss column.

That would explain why the SDN (SWAC Digital Network) is still collecting dust.

Streams have to meet a certain quality to go that route...camera angles, quality of bandwidth, etc. comes into play as everything would have to be branded as one. Alot of streams are simple one-man operations but if you even think about going TV quality you better be ready to spend for quality. an ESPN3 feed is a legit TV feed just for Internet.

That's why I keep bringing up the OVC. They invested in their network. I think most of us want something like ESPN3 but it is gonna take an investment to get something to the level of ESPN3 (or at least SDN quality)

I thought BET was designed for this.....

Oh my bad they would rather have "fictional" stuff than the real thing.

Carry on....

@Kenn Rashad are the conference financials from 2015-16 out yet? I'd like to see if the profit/loss numbers are still in the loss column.

That would explain why the SDN (SWAC Digital Network) is still collecting dust.
Which financials? The conference itself, or the member schools?

I thought BET was designed for this.....

Oh my bad they would rather have "fictional" stuff than the real thing.

Carry on....
I agree. But at the end of the day, BET is designed to increase viewership to make more money off of advertisements. They are not there to bring Black College Football into our living rooms.

Back