Did Lewis Jackson get fired?

You dont like the current coach?

No, it's not that.....It's not a personality contest for me, but it is about results and unless something changes the program is headed for a decline. We haven't won the regular season championship over the past two years, didn't win the tournament last year, probably would not have won it this year and fell to third place before the regular season came to an end this year. Jeremy Combs and Tyrik Armstong bailed the team out last year. Our coach took a while figuring out how good Tyrik is last year. The fact of the matter is if the starting point guard hadn't got hurt he might not have figured it out. Tyrik returned this year and played his final season very well. He'll be missed to the point that we'll definitely know the difference next season.

I disagree with some of my fellow alums. I believe in results and don't get caught up in the like him/don't like him thinking that amounts to nothing.

Results, results, results......I wanted Davis to stay and believed we should have paid him because I understood 4 NCAA Tournament appearances, an NIT appearance, a 16-2 conference record while on probation his first year and a win in the NCAA Tournament First Four all in six years was nothing to be sneezing at when we never came remotely close to achieving anything like it in the entire history of TSU basketball. The last decade was historic for us at TSU. I have my doubts if this one will be.

Last edited:
I knew it was about money. He would have kept on asking for more cash every year. so good riddance, it was just like blackmail. Plus he did not want to coach his own son. BS.

What is wrong with asking or expecting more if you're winning? It's what every winning coach in college basketball does that produces results.

So do not dare pay Davis $250 for winning, but it was okay to pay Haywood $300 with a nonexistent track record over five years?

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
If Mike Davis wanted to come back to TSU. I'm sure TSU would bring him back at the right price. I like the current coach but Davis has a proven history of success and winning at this level.

Why would Mike Davis want to go to Bama State? His biggest complaint about TSU was all the bus riding which is why he left ... he'll be doing a lot of bus riding at Bama State too.

Definitely not true and not everyone rides the bus in the SWAC for basketball.

Gray, his biggest complaint was his pay. He wanted to stay if we could meet a certain benchmark with pay. We wouldn't do it, but we definitely could have. Instead, we chose to overpay a former coach nobody wanted and hadn't coached a down over five years. Knowing darn well we're a basketball school first.

That may be true but the interview I read he only complained about traveling conditions.

Absolutely nothing wrong with asking for more money. Both parties have to agee. At some point if someone makes you a better offer (Detroit Mercy) you take it. No hard feeling. No one else in the SWAC believes that TSU does not have an unlimited budget.

Back