Diahann Carroll, Pioneering Actress on 'Julia' and 'Dynasty,' Dies at 84

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
RIP

Diahann Carroll, groundbreaking star of TV’s ‘Julia’ and ‘Dynasty,’ dies at 84

Diahann Carroll, the elegant star of stage and screen who changed the course of television history as the first African American woman to be cast as a professional rather than a domestic worker in 1968’s groundbreaking sitcom “Julia,” and to win a lead actress Tony Award, has died. She was 84.

The Oscar-nominated actress and breast cancer survivor, who also starred in “Dynasty” and “White Collar,” died of cancer, her daughter Suzanne Kay said Friday.

Carroll burst on the scene as one of the first black actresses to star in studio films. Assisted by her breathy, deep voice, the established recording artist debuted on the big screen in 1954’s Oscar-nominated adaptation of “Carmen Jones,” a retelling of the Bizet opera with an all-black cast alongside Dorothy Dandridge, Harry Belafonte and Pearl Bailey. In 1959, she headlined the musical “Porgy and Bess” with Dandridge, Sidney Poitier and Sammy Davis Jr.

She liked the white boys, huh?
Well, she did have a fling with Sidney Poitier while she was married. I read about it in Ebony Magazine when I was much younger. Like every single woman I have encountered including my darling wife, she left me so confused with her thoughts and reflection on her romance and life in general.

Anyhow, I loved me some Ms. Carroll. A gorgeous woman no doubt and a very fine actress. RIP

Last edited:
Back