Depo-Provera

JSU*Toi

I am starting to hear more and more horror stories about Depo-Provera.

I was on Depo for 2 1/2 years then I had a stroke at 23 and was taken off of it. But the other day my girl friend was asking me the side effects of it becasue she wants to try it we were in Wal-Mart and this lady heard us talking about it and she sent me to this web-site and it has Horror stories about Depo.

Here is a list of side effects alot of women are having from Depr-Provera.

Dizziness
Shortness of breath
Increased heart rate
Night sweats
Anxiety attacks
Sore throats
Severe headaches
Moodiness
Nervousness
Sore muscles
Chest pain
Extreme Depression
Extreme weight gain
Extreme Excitability, Nervousness
Panic Attacks
Paranoia
Painful intercourse
Severe lack of lubrication
Lowered immune system
Loss of hair
Unwanted hair on breasts, toes, face
Extremely sore, stiff, crippled muscles all over body
Blurry vision
Inability to bend over
Severe neck and shoulder pain
Breast Tenderness
Heart palpitations - irregular heart beat
Chronic sinus and yeast infections
Concentration and memory problems
Acne( large boil/cyst like acne)

I read the site and the stories and got upset. I have had atleast 10-15 of these side effect. But when I would go to the doctor they could not tell me what it was from.

If you take Depo you might want to start tracking your health. So women can't have kids now becasue of Depo... Please look into anyside effects you might have that are unexplained.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by SexyASSJSU*ATL
Here is a list of side effects alot of women are having from Depr-Provera.

Dizziness
Night sweats
Anxiety attacks
Moodiness
Nervousness
Chest pain
Extreme Depression
Extreme weight gain
Extreme Excitability, Nervousness
Panic Attacks
Loss of hair
Unwanted hair on breasts, toes, face
Blurry vision
Breast Tenderness
Heart palpitations - irregular heart beat
Chronic sinus and yeast infections

I had these side effects. I took Depo twice when I was an infertility patient and then to attack fibroids. The most severe side effect I had was the palpitations, loss of hair and anxiety/panic attacks.

Any birth control method that alters your hormones can be bad news. Try the barrier methods, and the best one is the old fashioned diaphragm. It works, you can still be spontaneous and putting it in can be a part of foreplay. It can also be a symbol of "bragging rights" for our men...my husband's nickname became FLIPPER and I know you can guess why!:D

Depo provera is definitely not a good choice for birth control for African American women in child bearing age. (It has been shown to be beneficial for post menopausal women however) Because of the side effects it should only be used in short term, theraputic treatment. Even then sometimes the side effects cancel out the good the drug does.

I took one shot of that garbage. I gained 22 pounds in THREE MONTHS, and had several of those other side effects. When it was time for the 2nd shot, I told my doctor ... "screw this! Tie my isht UP!" Took care of ALL those problems! :D

On the other hand, one of my Line Sisters has taken the shot for years and has had NO problems ... go figure ...

There are other methods of birth control that are far less dangerous than Depo Provera, and I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to take that shot ...

<font size=0.3>*well, I might actually STRONGLY SUGGEST it to my worst enemy ... I really don't like her*</font>

Dayummm....glad I'm not an enemy of Vinita's!

Vinita:
There are other methods of birth control that are far less dangerous than Depo Provera.

You're right. You chose a good one....

Vinita:
I told my doctor ... "screw this! Tie my isht UP!" Took care of ALL those problems

Aside from no sex @ all...that's effective!:)

I'd never consider taking the shot. I don't like needles. Women have enough holes to worry about already.:lol:

Encare (inserts) are also effective as a barrier. It kills the sperm.
You can use it alone (if you're married) or in combination with condoms if you're single, just in case the condom happens to break...you have that added protection!;)

JSUATL

I was on Depo for 2 1/2 years then I had a stroke at 23 and was taken off of it.

That's deep. Glad you're okay! Thanks for the info to pass along to friends who do. It explains some of the complications they have been having.
Knowledge is power!

I was shocked when I first heard that Depo was on the market. Since that time, I've seen numerous women gave 30+ pounds within the first year of using it.

The main reason I was surprised was in my line of work, we routinely injected this drug for animals with behavioral problems. It has been known to mimic long-acting steroids, thus was always used minimally. Side effects also may include a rage syndrome and increased intolerance to anything.

I'm hoping you are fine JSUATL. Keep telling everybody you know to avoid this.

PEACE OUT.

Originally posted by chocalate_topaz
Side effects also may include a rage syndrome and increased intolerance to anything.

You ain't NEVER LIED about that! :eek2:

I'm hoping you are fine JSUATL. Keep telling everybody you know to avoid this.

Check her out on the smack board during football season ... you can see plenty of evidence of her well being! :D

To you women:

Take it from the drug expert. I'll have my Doctor of Pharmacy degree in May of this year. I wouldn't recommend that you all take Depo Provera.......especially if you plan on starting a family anytime soon.

Your Swacpage Pharmacist,
Dr. truthteller (soon)

Y'all better stop trying all this new mess that comes out. I'm sticking to what's been working for me all these years.

:rolleyes:

This is a very infomative topic......

Question: What are the good drugs that can be taken for Birth control??

Its very tragic to hear this news about Depo. I have been on the shot for 3yrs. I first took the shot 5yrs ago & got off b.c my mom didn't like the fact that it stopped my monthly cycle( I DID!!!!!) but during that time I gained all of 10lbs in like 5months. I stopped taking the shot for a while but got back on 3yrs ago after I had my son & I haven't had any problems at all with it. As a matter of fact I haven't gained any weight & I love the fact that I don't have to worry about taking a pill everyday at the same time only have to worry about my shot every 3months! :D But the info that has been given to me has been very eye opening & I will be keeping a closer look for those symptoms.

Re: See, this is why we need a women's forum

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
So we Ladies can discuss such topics....:D

Uh-un.......Stay right here. We're using all of this that we're learning as we speak! (I know I am!!) :ebrow: (evil laugh)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: Re: See, this is why we need a women's forum

Originally posted by SUPAKAT69

Uh-un.......Stay right here. We're using all of this that we're learning as we speak! (I know I am!!) :ebrow: (evil laugh)

;)

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
Y'all better stop trying all this new mess that comes out. I'm sticking to what's been working for me all these years.

:rolleyes:

DITTO to that.

Hey KENN, do we have to submit a written petition to get a Ladies forum on here?

Back