Debates over race, history and values roil Texas A&M as campus diversifies

Olde Hornet

Debates over race, history and values roil Texas A&M as campus diversifies
:tiptoe:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educ...email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_evening

A summer of protests over racism and a statue have challenged the university system, where alumni chant “Aggie traditions matter.”

“Why don’t you be an American life that matters?” shouted Becky Clark, 61. “How is tearing down a statue going to accomplish anything?”

“Stand by your Aggies, not a statue,” the students yelled back, using a nickname for students and alumni of the school. “There’s only White people on your side for a reason.”

The mid-July protest was one of multiple confrontations on the campus of Texas A&M University at College Station since the killing of George Floyd, a former student of the university system whose fatal encounter with Minneapolis police in May has ignited nationwide calls for racial justice. Debate over the Ross statue — viewed by some as the veneration of a violent white supremacist and by others as a unifying memorial for an inspiring educator — has waged for years. Those long-simmering racial tensions peaked this summer across parts of the Texas A&M University System.

A video that called for Black students on the Kingsville campus to be “euthanized” prompted criticism of university leaders, whose response some said was too slow and weak. A social media campaign detailing what #RacismAtTAMUFeelsLike led to an outpouring of stories about unequal treatment on the predominantly White campus in College Station, including racial slurs going unpunished and Black students’ presence being questioned.

University leaders have responded with task forces, diversity scholarships and news releases declaring that racism is at odds with its core values. Student activists have criticized those efforts as rote and out of touch, perfunctory attempts to address a systemic problem.

TAMU ain't diversifying anytime soon. It will be a bastion for white supremacy (dog whistle for conservatism) for many years to come. The student body may diversify a bit more but the most powerful people and culture on campus won't.

Also TAMU is one of the few colleges in Texas where the black enrollment is actually declining fast while everybody else is going

Last edited:
TAMU ain't diversifying anytime. It will be a bastion for white supremacy (dog whistle for conservatism) for many years to come. The student body may diversify a bit more but the most powerful people on campus won't.

Also TAMU is one of the few colleges in Texas where the black enrollment is actually declining fast while everybody else is going

That's a pretty small number to begin with:

"There are 2,149 black students currently enrolled at A&M, a 2.3% drop compared to last year’s 2,200. They comprise 3.3% of the student population."

By race/ethnicity, 21,305 White, 2,076 Black and 9,843 Asian students out of total 51,832 are attending at The University of Texas at Austin.
https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/edu/228778/the-university-of-texas-at-austin/enrollment/

By race/ethnicity, 20,789 White, 3,867 Black and 1,270 Asian students out of total 30,983 are attending at Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College.
https://www.collegetuitioncompare.c...ricultural-and-mechanical-college/enrollment/

By race/ethnicity, 29,168 White, 4,038 Black and 466 Asian students out of total 38,390 are attending at The University of Alabama.
https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/edu/100751/the-university-of-alabama/enrollment/

25,888 White, 3,195 Black and 3,506 Asian students out of total 38,652 are attending at University of Georgia.

Are the Aggies still telling their Black Aggies to "go back to Prairie View" when they have protests like a few years ago? 👀 I'll never understand the appeal for Texas A&m to the relatively few Blacks who choose to go to there. To their credit, they are less dizzy than Black UT folks but hell, atleast UT is in Austin.

That's a pretty small number to begin with:

"There are 2,149 black students currently enrolled at A&M, a 2.3% drop compared to last year’s 2,200. They comprise 3.3% of the student population."
How many of that 2,149 are athletes? Numbers not percentages please.

The number has been dropping for a long time. TAMU has never been a welcoming place for black people. And all the black people I know that went there are either very weird of self-hating wanna be white. Also many of the Hispanics that enroll at TAMU are white passing and conservative so they're like white adjacent which is skewing the "diversity" at TAMU.

Also LSU, MSU, UM, and UA are the blackest SEC schools ... MSU #1 with nearly 20% black. LSU black population has been growing a lot recently which Is good, I read they had the largest black freshman class in history last year. But bad news for SU I guess.

The number has been dropping for a long time. TAMU has never been a welcoming place for black people. And all the black people I know that went there are either very weird of self-hating wanna be white. Also many of the Hispanics that enroll at TAMU are white passing and conservative so they're like white adjacent which is skewing the "diversity" at TAMU.

Also LSU, MSU, UM, and UA are the blackest SEC schools ... MSU #1 with nearly 20% black. LSU black population has been growing a lot recently which Is good, I read they had the largest black freshman class in history last year. But bad news for SU I guess.

S.U. enrollment numbers have been trending in the right direction and increased again last fall as well. What LSU does is not going to impact S.U. enrollment numbers. However, I am not sure what impact Covid-19 will have on numbers.

S.U. enrollment numbers have been trending in the right direction and increased again last fall as well. What LSU does is not going to impact S.U. enrollment numbers. However, I am not sure what impact Covid-19 will have on numbers.

For the most part that's true. Most of the black people (or people period) interested in LSU are not interested in SU. They attract mostly two different groups of people

For the most part that's true. Most of the black people (or people period) interested in LSU are not interested in SU. They attract mostly two different groups of people

Southern U. & LSU have student exchange, dual degree & cross-enrollment programs...

Southern U. & LSU have student exchange, dual degree & cross-enrollment programs...

I would love to see numbers on those that actively engage with it. From my understanding, there's very little interaction between the two schools. Even the NPHC greeks at LSU don't really mess with the SU NPHC greeks I was told

I would love to see numbers on those that actively engage with it. From my understanding, there's very little interaction between the two schools. Even the NPHC greeks at LSU don't really mess with the SU NPHC greeks I was told

Out of curiosity, where do you get your "understanding" from?

Back