Dear Drew Brees

oldgymlgnd

OLDGYMLGND
I wrote this on my facebook page

Flag Disrespect:

Dear Drew Brees,
So, kneeling during the National Anthem is disrespectful to the flag, huh?!?! Well, I have something for you to think about. And hear me out, please. This narrative to me is nothing more than the media pushing an agenda and equates to nothing more than low hanging fruit and many people, such as yourself, are gorging themselves on it's nectar. I genuinely believe you to be a man of good will and of conscious which is why I took time to respond to your comments. If I thought otherwise I wouldn't waste my time. You see disrespect to that flag was happening long before Colin Kaepernick started kneeling and the disrespect is more blatant and on a whole different level. But, it doesn't make it to the news nor get the amount of coverage that it should.
What if I told you that, after the United States defeated England in The Revolutionary War, that England was allowed to fly it's flag along side the United States flag at Statehouses around the country because we still had people who were sympathetic to England still living in the U.S..... Crazy, huh? That is not only disrespectful but would be downright treasonous as well. Well, what if I told you that the Japanese were allowed to do the same thing after the U.S. defeated them. Yea, the Japanese flag flying next to the U.S. flag at Statehouses around the country. What about the Korean flag or the Vietnamese flag or the Iraqi. Dammit, Name your conflict and insert the country's name and flag!! Any one of those country's flags flying next to the U.S. flag is simply ridiculous to even fathom. But, Mr. Brees....... The Confederate flag has flown PROMINENTLY and worshipped in many Statehouses and public venues, alongside the the U.S. flag since the Civil War-especially the south, and never have I heard from the media on any large scale that this was anything near treasonous or disrespectful. And they don't hide. It's out there for everyone to see. Mr. Kaepernick has said on many occasions that it's not about the flag. Yet, his kneeling in protest to police brutality against minorities is somehow framed as disrespectful to the flag.
This is what I mean when I say that we, and I'm guilty as well, allow the media to dictate what and how and when to think about certain subjects. Even now as I write this, I feel that I'm only reacting to what the media has placed before me. But, I write consciously aware that this dictation is being dictated by an agenda pushing, money making media that gives to the public whatever will garner the most attention. Do you not have any original thoughts or ideas about what is put in front of you or do you just go with the flow and accept what is presented before you as gospel?!?! There are memorials and street names, and buildings and structures named after many who fought against the U.S. in the Civil War. So, I'm not gonna look down on you; I'm gonna help you, Mr. Brees. If Mr Kaepernick is disrespectful to the flag(say it with me) The Confederate Flag being recognized alongside the U.S. flag is__________!!!!.....

Back