Credit Education

Bird123

For the last few months I've been doing some things with my credit and I have learned a LOT about how things work. I'll admit before and especially during college (where most of my debt was obtained) I didn't know shat about credit and a lot of people will tell you the same thing.

One person I remember talking to said they got a card in college and charged about $1000 on it and got the bill and it said only to pay $15 as a minimum payment. Well they paid $15 dollars expecting the balance to be minus $15 dollars.......obviously they knew nothing about interest rates and finance charges, cash advance fees, overdraft fees, late fees and etc.

My point is when I was in college there never was anything offered to help students manage their credit and stuff like that. As a result most of us get out of college with a ton of it.

My parents are not real educated on credit and how it can affect your lifestyle and how you can just throw away money in interest and such. So in turn I wasn't as educated about it either, until now. I'll make sure to pass my knowledge on to my kids and they WILL understand the way this stuff works.

My question.........Should there be a mandatory course (hell they made you take orientation or school history for a semester) in college or high school to teach kids about the credit system and how it works to better educate them about this type of stuff?

Yes There are Courses Out There

Speaking from a financial standpoint many universities have credit card companies come in to setup booths thereby generating income for universities. But what is not told before getting that t-shirt or whatever that you are simply playing with your financial freedom. So word to the wise for all you college students and future use credit wisely and only when you need credit. Don't just have a plastic party.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think it should be part of the Freshman Orientation classes. I know at UAPB, they used to have Orientation for the Freshmen before classes began. I think that THEN would be a good time to share that kind of information.

Should, Could, Would... How many would actually pay attention in Freshman Orientation?

Umm, there is no lesson like one of Life's... Once you make that mistake, you will never ever do it again...

Hey, miss! For your information, I paid PLENTY of attention in Freshman Orientation!

Never mind that it was to the cuties in the auditorium! :swink:

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
Should, Could, Would... How many would actually pay attention in Freshman Orientation?

Umm, there is no lesson like one of Life's... Once you make that mistake, you will never ever do it again...
Kema you ain't neva lied about that one! If I knew in 1998 what I know now I don't think I would have ever gotten a credit card. I don't want anymore credit as long as I live....I'll stick with my bank card. But my mom always tells me bought sense is the best sense. I have made many many mistakes in reguards to my credit & now I am paying the price for it but I am on track as far as getting it back to good standing..but once its back on track there will be nothing put good things on it from here on out.

Back