Crank Fest

I've always said that Haymer is more focused on "style" than "substance".
The videos and name-calling get their fanbase hyped, but when it comes down to actual sound and balance, his band comes up short time and time again.

Inexperienced arrangers is the reason. If Southern had Greggs era caliber arrangers they would be a beast! Remember, "One band, one sound."

If anyone would like to address me, have at it. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve. :)

Last edited:

Crankfest 2017 is done, Who won? Was Jackson State the clear cut winner in New Orleans?
  • 73b732fdc4d3761be56169ede0910b7c
  • by

Tolly Carr
  • October 3, 2017
Crankfest 2017 has come and gone from New Orleans but not the conversation. Southern University, Jackson State, Talladega College and Alcorn State had a four-way battle royale in the Big Easy as you can see below courtesy of Human Jukebox Media.

People who were in attendance or watched the video had plenty to say in the YouTube comments section. Here’s a sample and to be honest, it seems more people were leaning towards the Sonic Boom.

K. Ramon
“Sat front and center between SU & JSU, fully expected SU to dominate…it did not happen. JSU was without question the better band…and that’s from a huge SU supporter. I’m sorry man, the Juke took the L on this one.”

https://hbcugameday.com/2017/10/03/fans-react-crankfest-2017/

It's a good fundraiser, and recruiting tool. When battling at the football games, the band usually gets 0 funds from those halftime shows and 5th quarters. These battles provide an avenue for the bands to showcase their talents and financially benefit from them.

Excellent answer! I didn't realize there was a great financial benefit. Thank you!

You sound crazy lol talking about JSU got humbled. JSU made one video and they didn't even call out neither band. SU made bout 3 or 4 talking smack. You have to back it up and SU did not period. JSU,Dega,Alcorn, or SU fans wasn't the only fans there. You had bandheads from other SWAC rivalries and other HBCU bandheads so they have no reason to be bias to either band, and when it was said and done majority picked and preferred JSU yesterday. If the Juke was how yall portray them to be then you would know a real champion accepts defeat and feed of the will to win yall on here making shii up yall lost now go watch the 5th quarter from when yall played Alcorn or SCSU cause yesterday at the 2nd annual crankfest JSU was spanking that ass spanking that ass

I was there. The only song the boom played halfway decent was Sweetest Taboo. Otherwise, yall got MURKED! Take your L son!

They know who won. lol they’ll never admit it. That’s the part that I love. Knowing it hurts them that bad. :cool:

Spent all that time rehearsing & filming those amateur videos for nothing. LOL

Wrong! You guys think yall won. I was sitting among some Boom and JSU Alum. All I heard was "Yall got this. Better be ready when yall come to Jacktown..."

One dude got upset at my frat brother for making fun of yalls sorry ass Drum Major. He wanted to know who he was. I told him, he's wearing the white Tshirt and navy pants.

No, su has to show up cause based on the comments from neutral parties, yall were MIA.

Nah son. You guys were quiet. The boom should be tired of taking L's to daddy(JUKE)...then again....LOL

Thank you. That underlined part just speaks volumes. You wouldn't have posted that if you didn't feel some type of disappointment /let down/concerns, etc. about Southern performance @Crankfest.....

But I understand

I'm glad you do understand! And you re right, I did feel some disappointment/let down/concerns about SU's performance as well as the performances of JSU, ASU, and Talledega. None of them performed up to my expectations SU certainly did not! But as the number 1 marching band in the nation, it is good to know that SU can win a fierce competition even when they are not at their very best. These kinds of band competitions are extremely subjective in nature and render impossible the tasks of determining a true winner or which performance was the best. The reputation SU has built has come from years of hard work at performance excellence, not a single competition at which some fiercely jealous competitors seek to elevate their own standings in the marching band world at SU's expense.

Last edited:
I'm glad you do understand! And you re right, I did feel some disappointment/let down/concerns about SU's performance as well as the performances of JSU, ASU, and Talledega. None of them performed up to my expectations SU certainly did not! But as the number 1 marching band in the nation, it is good to know that SU can win a fierce competition even when they are not at their very best. These kinds of band competitions are extremely subjective in nature and render impossible the tasks of determining a true winner or which performance was the best. SU's stature as a frontrunner among collegiate marching bands The reputation SU has built has come from years of hard work at performance excellence, not a single competition at which some fiercely jealous competitors seek to elevate their own standings in the marching band world at SU's expense.

Your post sounds like the Aesop's fable, The Fox and the Grapes. Know when you've been defeated. Move on.

The fact y’all still trying to make excuses is funny....like JayRob said y’all simply trying to diminish JSU because SU wasn’t up to par Sunday. I know y’all was watching SU lil videos thinking they was about to have the performance of a life time but they didnt. I don’t understand why y’all just can’t accept defeat. It’s the crazy how y’all think SU wins literally everytime and won’t give props when y’all took a L. SU had they peoples mixed up. They messed around and thought JSU was Dega or Alcorn and got bite right in they ass in they backyard. Founder lock this board the BOOM came and did what they had to do see y’all October 21st

Keep trying to forget what just happened. Maybe you Jukes will be able to somewhat recover from the embarrassment a couple weeks from now.
Based on Haymer's history, it's highly unlikely.

Look at this dumb shit.....

Come on Jax. The first step to recovery is to admit defeat. You can do it....I KNOW you can. Hahahahahaha!!!

You guys should be used to it being that you guys are known for losing on the field, off the field and in the stands.

Take your L son.

Last edited:
The videos and name-calling get their fanbase hyped, but when it comes down to actual sound and balance, his band comes up short time and time again.

You don't believe that yourself. Then again, anyone who refers to their band having "50 pounds of 'base'(paraphrased)" I can't take seriously.

I'm about as anit JSU as it gets, but after watching that event they were the better band that day. SU/Alcorn are next and TD was last to me. That Talladega band was terrible. The other thing about that event for all of those bands was definitely a lot of "cramming" going on. Every band at that event was guilty of at least 2 songs that the band didn't know very well. JSU did damn good for their size too, they were like a different band than they were from the Memphis game.

I'm about as anit JSU as it gets, but after watching that event they were the better band that day. SU/Alcorn are next and TD was last to me. That Talladega band was terrible. The other thing about that event for all of those bands was definitely a lot of "cramming" going on. Every band at that event was guilty of at least 2 songs that the band didn't know very well. JSU did damn good for their size too, they were like a different band than they were from the Memphis game.

It's a wrap, the Boom was the best band at Crankfest 2017.
sbed_sign_goodnite_100-100.gif

Words of advice to the Jokebox, "When you lose...study why you lost and improve your strategy. Never count on the odds to eventually work back in your favor. Try, try and try again. "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

Beyond a reasonable doubt, the Boom is guilty of being the best band at Crankfest 2017. Moderator, you my close this thread.

Last edited:
You're about the only person that would say that. You can go ahead and claim the win if that makes you feel better.

Every musically-inclined, non-biased person I know agrees that these versions of SU are some of the cleanest and most balanced bands. We've always had good bands, but these bands play very clean and have all sorts of color and embellishments mixed into their sound that really stand out. Those trombone/mello pyramids on Until the Pain is Gone and songs like The Weekend just make me want to go back and listen to the songs multiple times each day because of all the stuff in those arrangements. That Drug Lord Couture that the band plays is brilliant.

Don't let your hate for Haymer lead you to post musically ignorant stuff.

Last edited:
Inexperienced arrangers is the reason. If Southern had Greggs era caliber arrangers they would be a beast! Remember, "One band, one sound."

If anyone would like to address me, have at it. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve. :)
This is hilarious, 9.9 times out of 10 musically-knowledgeable people will agree that SU has one of the best set of arrangers. Don't let hate cloud your judgement.

Last edited:
You're about the only person that would say that. You can go ahead and claim the win if that makes you feel better.

Every musically-inclined, non-biased person I know agrees that these versions of SU are some of the cleanest and most balanced bands. We've always had good bands, but these bands play very clean and have all sorts of color and embellishments mixed into their sound that really stand out. Those trombone/mello pyramids on Until the Pain is Gone and songs like The Weekend just make me want to go back and listen to the songs multiple times each day because of all the stuff in those arrangements. That Drug Lord Couture that the band plays is brilliant.

Don't let your hate for Haymer lead you to post musically ignorant stuff.
See, there you go getting all personal. Dude, the handwriting is already on the wall. Haymer's nowhere near a stickler for substance like Greggs was.
su's substance quality just ain't what it used to be and that's a fact.
Even a lot of the su older bandheads agree with that statement. Are they ignorant too?

Back