Could Reggie Barlow return to Alabama State?

What school do you represent? You clearly talk about ASU all the time and don't support the school. What school do you support.

What school do you represent? You clearly talk about ASU all the time and don't support the school. What school do you support.
Hey, it's a fair question...considering that it's obviously a topic of interest for a column to be published about it. I have no affiliation to ASU, but I think you guys owe it to yourselves to at least CONSIDER it.

Hey, it's a fair question...considering that it's obviously a topic of interest for a column to be published about it. I have no affiliation to ASU, but I think you guys owe it to yourselves to at least CONSIDER it.

No. Simply put. First off, I dont know who JT is but ASU did no such thing of doing him wrong. He sued the University and lost. He didnt burn bridges leaving - he blew them up like a terrorist. You cant sue me and I win while still trying to destroy me after the fact and think its all good and you can come back. Not gonna happen. He wont even get an interview.

And I wish him well in the playoffs. I am pulling for him. I also think he might possibly be a candidate at another SWAC or MEAC school - but he wont be on South Jackson St. Montgomery, Alabama.

Stillman is my school. We no longer have football as a sport so I keep up with most SWAC & SIAC teams. My other family members went to ASU . I don’t think I broke the law with posting this sports article.

No. Simply put. First off, I dont know who JT is but ASU did no such thing of doing him wrong. He sued the University and lost. He didnt burn bridges leaving - he blew them up like a terrorist. You cant sue me and I win while still trying to destroy me after the fact and think its all good and you can come back. Not gonna happen. He wont even get an interview.

Now, I can respect that response/rationale. Hell, I feel the same way about a particular former Grambling head coach.

It will probably be a long time before Barlow is even seriously considered to come back here. Too much has happened for him to come back this soon. Barlow will always be a Hornet. As for ASU, we need to bring in a coach that can get the fans excited and will recruit the local talent.

It will probably be a long time before Barlow is even seriously considered to come back here. Too much has happened for him to come back this soon. Barlow will always be a Hornet. As for ASU, we need to bring in a coach that can get the fans excited and will recruit the local talent.

Eley appears to be that guy that you just described. He got the fans excited when he started to win. ASU thought Jenkins was “gold” when they hired him. Look how that turned out! He didn’t even fit in with the ASU culture. Eley should at least be considered. At least you know what he is all about. ASU needs to get it right this time. I hear Henry Frazier’s name is in the mix.

Eley appears to be that guy that you just described. He got the fans excited when he started to win. ASU thought Jenkins was “gold” when they hired him. Look how that turned out! He didn’t even fit in with the ASU culture. Eley should at least be considered. At least you know what he is all about. ASU needs to get it right this time. I hear Henry Frazier’s name is in the mix.
Eley beat sorry teams. I'm sure he'll probably get considered though. Jenkins constantly relied on recruiting Florida kids instead of reaching out to the talent in Alabama. He also tried to play MEAC ball in the SWAC. You got to have a solid passing game to win in this conference. Definitely need to get it right this time. Not surprised if Frazier and AAMU's DC Travis Pearson have submitted their resumes.

Eley appears to be that guy that you just described. He got the fans excited when he started to win.

Bit of a stretch wouldn't you say? He beat 3 of 4 of the conference's weakest teams, barring a miracle in the Delta should go 4 of 4. Knowledgeable fans see/know this. What he's done with these wins is shown that there's something to work with on offense, not messed w/a defense that's been solid for the most part and kept the guys engaged. Not enough to get the keys permanently.

As for Barlow..... No, nyet, nein, nada. Good guy, bleeds black & gold but.............

Ealy hasn't beaten anyone. The grambling game was a measuring stick game, and to me, it looked a lot like the result they got last year in the independence bowl when they lost 21-0. I think whatever happens, you've got to keep that DC in place. You keep gresham, a hornet who can help recruit local kids as he's coached locally. I think you keep Dunbar and let him work with those qbs. And...you've got to recruit a transfer qb that can run the offense and deliver the ball down field. You're not going to be able to keep 3 quarterbacks in the same class happy so one maybe two of them are going to leave b/f they graduate.

Some A&M folks are mentioning Barlow as a Spady replacement, but ehhhhhh.
Like I said on here before, if that were to happen A&M would lose every MCC under Barlow lol. You better believe he'd throw that game and be out partying with the ASU alums/fans after the game.

Ealy hasn't beaten anyone. The grambling game was a measuring stick game, and to me, it looked a lot like the result they got last year in the independence bowl when they lost 21-0. I think whatever happens, you've got to keep that DC in place. You keep gresham, a hornet who can help recruit local kids as he's coached locally. I think you keep Dunbar and let him work with those qbs. And...you've got to recruit a transfer qb that can run the offense and deliver the ball down field. You're not going to be able to keep 3 quarterbacks in the same class happy so one maybe two of them are going to leave b/f they graduate.
Have to work on the Oline also. Defense will be solid again next year. Definitely hoping for a good QB to come in. We need to also figure out what will happen with the OC position.

Have to work on the Oline also. Defense will be solid again next year. Definitely hoping for a good QB to come in. We need to also figure out what will happen with the OC position.
That OC goes without saying. They've had me wishing greg jenkins was back at qb.

Bit of a stretch wouldn't you say? He beat 3 of 4 of the conference's weakest teams, barring a miracle in the Delta should go 4 of 4. Knowledgeable fans see/know this. What he's done with these wins is shown that there's something to work with on offense, not messed w/a defense that's been solid for the most part and kept the guys engaged. Not enough to get the keys permanently.

As for Barlow..... No, nyet, nein, nada. Good guy, bleeds black & gold but.............

Just might be a bit of a stretch but folks were glad to be in the win column again no matter how weak those teams are that he beat. He did something that Jenkins was unable to do this season while he was there - - get some wins! I know ASU wants & expect more. I was just giving the guy some credit.

Reactions: J C

Let me say this tho.. GOOD coaches don't lose to sorry teams. My concern with Hughes is that he can't even beat the sorry teams. You cant discount that. When you cant even beat the sorry teams, that's a red flag. If you cant beat the sorry teams, how you gonna EVER beat the good ones? So who ran the offense while Orlando was sick?

Some A&M folks are mentioning Barlow as a Spady replacement, but ehhhhhh.

Barlow would not win at AAMU. AAMU needs to understand who they are. They are not a /school that will have a high powered offense. You do need an offensive minded HC in this league but you also need to make sure you have a solid DC and an OC who knows how to develop a GREAT ground game. AAMU will never be a team that can air it out. You wont get the talent for that.

So are you saying Rick Comegy isn't a good coach?

You dont win with 30-40 scholarships when everyone else has 50-60. Just like when Barlow only had 30 at ASU, he didnt start wining til they got out of trouble with the NCAA. Valley needs to be D2 even if just in football.

Reactions: J C
Kenn, as leader of the board, I need you to ask smart questions.
No, you just need to be more detailed in your answers. You love to address the problems of other schools, but you never seem to address the problems of your own. But since you seem to know what AAMU will "NEVER" be able to do, I think I know what will NOT happen at J-State.

So let me EDUCATE you.

Unfortunately, (some of) you J-State folks are looking for a quick fix and simply don't want to accept the thought that your issues are not going to be addressed overnight. Hughes is two years into the process of trying to fix a problem he DID NOT create. And yet, after only 2 years, some of you are saying he needs to be fired. How the hell do you expect to sustain a winning program if you are firing coaches every two years?

Now, answer the damn question: Is Rick Comegy a good coach?

No, you just need to be more detailed in your answers. You love to address the problems of other schools, but you never seem to address the problems of your own. But since you seem to know what AAMU will "NEVER" be able to do, I think I know what will NOT happen at J-State.

So let me EDUCATE you.

Unfortunately, (some of) you J-State folks are looking for a quick fix and simply don't want to accept the thought that your issues are not going to be addressed overnight. Hughes is two years into the process of trying to fix a problem he DID NOT create. And yet, after only 2 years, some of you are saying he needs to be fired. How the hell do you expect to sustain a winning program if you are firing coaches every two years?

Now, answer the damn question: Is Rick Comegy a good coach?

Rick Comegy is an ok coach. I won't say he is a bad one but he wasn't good enough for JSU.

As for Hughes, some coaches can coach and some cant. I don't agree with firing coaches every 2 years but his situation is not as bad as he makes it out to be. How do you only beat Valley by 3 TDs? How do you only beat AAMU on a last second FG? Who puts a team on the field like that? Hughes will get his 3rd year, I suppose, but after that, im confident will be fired whether he wins or loses. LOL When you lose the fan base in Jackson, it's hard to get us back. Most were never on his team to begin with. We need to look at the total program and decide if we want to start over again or just promote from within. When Comegy was fired, most were ok with that, but the defense was good and we probably should have promoted from withing to kept most of that staff together and fixed the offense.

Thanks for asking a good question.

Back