Could A&T Replace Jackson State in the SHC???

No AAMU and TSU need to play in Nashville and Huntsville… its a 90 mile drive…

I agree with you about AAMU and TSU needing to just do a home and home and not go out of the way to Memphis

I mean Valley is 1-1 in the SHC and 2 hours away with a pretty sizable alumni base up there (plus we owe them for 2019)

I agree with you about AAMU and TSU needing to just do a home and home and not go out of the way to Memphis

I mean Valley is 1-1 in the SHC and 2 hours away with a pretty sizable alumni base up there (plus we owe them for 2019)
I can literally get to Nashville quicker than I can get to Birmingham. Its an EASY drive.

All of them are good choices. A&T don't travel, that is bunk. I have been to seen them a few times in Norfolk, VA and they come by the bus loads.
NSU has never sold their stadium out. Busloads are only a few hundred people. We talking about thousands.

Also, nobody can replace Jackson State. We will take a one or two year break and Fred will come back with another proposal. JSU needs to get at least twice our current payout. TNState can stick with the same thing they get since they only average 3000 fans at home.

In the Meantime, I think several SWAC schools could do well in Memphis... Alcorn, SU, GSU, UAPB and Valley in particular BUT none will do what JSU has done. What many fail to realize is that while Memphis is in TN, it's really just an extension on North Mississippi. The game in Memphis is like a home game for us. I hope we can participate again in the future.

I think AAMU, Southern and FAMU would be good teams for rotation to play Tenn State in the SHC.
I think y’all forgetting jsu left because they were not making any money. Not because they just wanted to not play in the classic. I can’t see any of these other schools accepting $350,000 with travel,food and lodging for team and band also deducted from that amount.

TSU and FAMU work well in Atlanta. Hopefully that will happen next year or home and home.

Sorta. FAMU wanted to put TNState and replace them with SU due to lack of fan support. TNState draws a general audience but their alumni doesnt really travel and participate like it appears.

That wasn't FAMU. That was the 100 Black Men and the Classic organizers making that decision.
7--8 years of getting beat by FAMU killed TSU fans desire to attend the game. They still came.
But, the TSU numbers did take a dive.

That wasn't FAMU. That was the 100 Black Men and the Classic organizers making that decision.
7--8 years of getting beat by FAMU killed TSU fans desire to attend the game. They still came.
But, the TSU numbers did take a dive.

The 2003 100 Black Men Classic was the game go see that year. I remember Miles having a bye week, so that people from the school and team could attend the game.

NSU has never sold their stadium out. Busloads are only a few hundred people. We talking about thousands.

The first contest played in Dick Price Stadium drew a record 33,872 fans, as NSU hosted Virginia State in 1997 in the annual Labor Day Classic

I believe A&T would travel. Good choice. What about Southern?

I have no idea why anyone would think that... LOL
Let's see if they travel to Charlotte to play NCCU.
A&T soldout of its allotment of tickets for Classic weeks ago. NCCU still has tickets at their ticket office.

25k Grand ( schools and ticket master) total have been sold for the game as of July 31st
Thank you so much. This is what happens when people speak before they think and research. A&T does travel and support their Football Program!

The problem maybe finding the same school on a yearly basis to go to Memphis every year for only $350,000. Also, the promoter expects the band to participate in a parade and during the game. In my opinion each school should be guaranteed at least $1.5 million dollars (plus expenses for the football team and band). The event is a $21.6 million annual economic impact for the city of Memphis.

The problem maybe finding the same school on a yearly basis to go to Memphis every year for only $350,000. Also, the promoter expects the band to participate in a parade and during the game. In my opinion each school should be guaranteed at least $1.5 million dollars (plus expenses for the football team and band). The event is a $21.6 million annual economic impact for the city of Memphis.

The promoters would definitely have to UP THE ANTE, as they say.
TSU should be demanding more.
Contracts are renegotiated all of the time.
I think JSU AND TSU could have both put
the squeeze on the organizers and demanded
MORE via a renegotiation. Sure they agreed
to it at some point but we all know thats not
the way it has to continue to be.

The promoters would definitely have to UP THE ANTE, as they say.
TSU should be demanding more.
Contracts are renegotiated all of the time.
I think JSU AND TSU could have both put
the squeeze on the organizers and demanded
MORE via a renegotiation. Sure they agreed
to it at some point but we all know thats not
the way it has to continue to be.

We did re-negotiate but our AD was new to the job and the President was still on board with the game. However, we were never happy with the terms with is why it was easy for us to get out of. At this moment, JSU has all the leverage. The promoters have to work harder to get us.

Granted, I am in the minority, I give Ole Fred a lot of credit for putting on events for 4-5 days. That costs money. However, the schools cant lose money in the process.

Back